50:50 alcohol/water mix

Wolf-Strong

Reaction score
I wanted to try this for the windows to remove some of the heavy film and also just for general use, but the one question that I have on this is whether it should be Ethanol or Isopropyl alcohol. Does anyone have any insight on this matter?

Ethanol is used in laboratories, this type of work generally needs a 100% perfectly clean finish, hence the use of ethanol.

Isopropyl alcohol is more readily available and less expensive than ethanol, for detailing work a 1:1 solution of IPA / distilled water usually provides sufficient paint surface cleaning.

Using 70% strength isopropyl alcohol in order to obtain a 1:1 ratio (50/50 % mixture) use 2 parts alcohol to 1 part distilled water (See relevant sections for usage and dilution used.) Mix solution in a spray bottle, spray onto clean paint surface, and wipe off with a micro fibre towel.

Ethanol is used in laboratories, this type of work generally needs a 100% perfectly clean finish, hence the use of ethanol.

Isopropyl alcohol is more readily available and less expensive than ethanol, for detailing work a 1:1 solution of IPA / distilled water usually provides sufficient paint surface cleaning.

Using 70% strength isopropyl alcohol in order to obtain a 1:1 ratio (50/50 % mixture) use 2 parts alcohol to 1 part distilled water (See relevant sections for usage and dilution used.) Mix solution in a spray bottle, spray onto clean paint surface, and wipe off with a micro fibre towel.

I do the same procedure but recently I have been adding 1 drop of ONR with an eye dropper to the mixture (in 3oz mister). I like the little bit of extra cleaning power and lubricity.

Back