Remove Armor All...Please help!!!

1oldsalt

Reaction score
Hi,
Well I had my Avalanche at the body shop for some “minor” work. When I picked it up, much to my horror, they decided to “detail” it before giving it to me. Part of their “detail” was to give a lovely coat of Armor All (they said) to ALL the plastic. And as you know an Avalanche has a lot of it. I think they put it on with a mop quite frankly. My first thought was what the F@#&!?!?!? They knew I was going to do a full correction and detail. Why they did this I don’t know. My job just doubled.

So. Question…How the heck do I get this garbage off?

So far I have tried in test spots-
LA Totally Awesome
Simple Green
Zep505
IPA (full strength)
Brake Clean
Amazing Roll Off
Dawn Power dissolver

Best results so far have been with Power Dissolver and Amazing Roll off. Brake clean worked well but I’m not happy with the white haze it left. Amazing Roll Off (50/50) worked well but I only have about 1/3rd of a gallon left. Since I’m in California I can’t get it any longer. Power dissolver worked great but I’m concerned about what it might do to the paint.
Also, after cleaning water still beads a bit so I think there is some silicone in it.

So does anyone have any suggestions for removing this stuff? Should I also get some silicone remover from the body shop supply?

I will be coating with Cquartz DLux, as I had done previously, so it has to be completely clean.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Run it through a touchless car wash a couple of times that presoak that sprays on before water is applied does wonders to wax and protectants.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Autogeekonline mobile app

You could also try a solution of water and just plain Dawn. You can immediately reseal the paint if you have stripped any wax or sealant.

In this Mike Phillips' article/thread:
https://www.autogeekonline.net/foru...production-detailing-your-largest-market.html

...they are using "DP Tire Cleaner and
Restorer"
to clean the plastic cladding
on an Avalanche.

However:
Since DP products are no longer being
manufactured; and, to stay within the
same product-genre; I would go with
"McKee's 37 Tire & Rubber Rejuvenator"
and assorted brushes/tools to clean-up
your Avalanche's plastic cladding.

McKee's 37 Tire & Rubber Rejuvenator, heavy duty tire cleaner, how to remove brown from tires

Bob

Brake Kleen?! You're bold. I have seen Brake cleaner overspray eat thru clear coat

I would think the Zep 505 or Simple Green would do the trick, but I would not use them at full strength to keep from damaging the plastic. Maybe dilute them 1:1 or 1:2 and start with that?

Update--
I went back to the body shop today to see exactly what it was that they put on the plastic from the guy that did it. Turns out it was Megs Endurance Tire Gel not Armor All as I had been told.
Just got off the phone with Meguiars. They told me to just use dish washing soap to get it off. I told them I tried some APC but it seems like there is still some residue. "It might take a couple/few washes to get it all off."
The battle begins. Looks like it's going to be a Dawn foam party.

Thanks everyone for your input. Much appreciated.

Mother's tire cleaner gets it off tires, should work on plastic.

Mineral Spirits...

Get small can from hardware store or home depot. Test on small spot with terry cloth and see what it does.

Tom

Thought I'd post an update in case anyone is interested.

I foamed/washed 3 times with Dawn. As I rinsed I noticed the water had an oil type sheen/rainbow. As well, the plastic still felt greasy. Man this stuff is tenacious. I think it was easier cleaning up after the Exxon Valdez.
I ended up washing a couple more times with a mixture of ammonia and Dawn. About 1 cup+ per gallon of ammonia. That finally seemed to cut and clean oily bit. Although it still feels like there is something still there.
Corey suggested to try 50/50 alcohol. That worked good but 100% alcohol is better. So a trip to Costco is in order.

I'm really surprised the alkaline cleaners you've already tried weren't cutting through the plastic dressing! Do you have any CarPro Inside? I've found that to be an incredible plastic cleaner and works great on exterior plastics at full strength.

Yes. A total pain. I was surprised too. Especially to see that sheen develop on the rinse water drops after all that cleaning.
I have not tried CP Inside. I'll get a sample and try some. I tried TRIX years ago on a hidden spot but it turned the plastic white and nothing will correct it.

Hi,
Well I had my Avalanche at the body shop for some “minor” work. When I picked it up, much to my horror, they decided to “detail” it before giving it to me. Part of their “detail” was to give a lovely coat of Armor All (they said) to ALL the plastic. And as you know an Avalanche has a lot of it. I think they put it on with a mop quite frankly. My first thought was what the F@#&!?!?!? They knew I was going to do a full correction and detail. Why they did this I don’t know. My job just doubled.

So. Question…How the heck do I get this garbage off?

So far I have tried in test spots-
LA Totally Awesome
Simple Green
Zep505
IPA (full strength)
Brake Clean
Amazing Roll Off
Dawn Power dissolver

Best results so far have been with Power Dissolver and Amazing Roll off. Brake clean worked well but I’m not happy with the white haze it left. Amazing Roll Off (50/50) worked well but I only have about 1/3rd of a gallon left. Since I’m in California I can’t get it any longer. Power dissolver worked great but I’m concerned about what it might do to the paint.
Also, after cleaning water still beads a bit so I think there is some silicone in it.

So does anyone have any suggestions for removing this stuff? Should I also get some silicone remover from the body shop supply?

I will be coating with Cquartz DLux, as I had done previously, so it has to be completely clean.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Does it really look that bad? It might not be the original armor all they make a lot of different products now. are you coating the trim too? If so I would think they have their own cleaner they want you to use like solution finish does. If not that solution finish cleaner is really strong so that might work. also griots paint prep specifically removes silicone's to.

You probably already cut it off there i dont think you should go by a little water beading that doesnt mean anything lots of plastics can bead water

Update--
I went back to the body shop today to see exactly what it was that they put on the plastic from the guy that did it. Turns out it was Megs Endurance Tire Gel not Armor All as I had been told.
Just got off the phone with Meguiars. They told me to just use dish washing soap to get it off. I told them I tried some APC but it seems like there is still some residue. "It might take a couple/few washes to get it all off."
The battle begins. Looks like it's going to be a Dawn foam party.

Thanks everyone for your input. Much appreciated.
I think they are just saying that because you're insisting its still there

Back