How much is to much coatings?

bryanviper

Reaction score
So I will be getting a big brake kit for my car in a few weeks. I wont be installing it until the spring time (no point in running them in the winter with snow/salt) so I have plenty of time to put Cquartz UK on the painted caliper.

my question is how many layers of Cquartz UK can I put on until it no longer adheres to itself. I have heard 2 layers of cquartz but not sure if 3/4/5 layers would even work (not that I will put that many) but curious.

Thanks View attachment 60213View attachment 60214

I'm not sure if it ever "stops adhering to itself"... but the returns are certainly diminishing after the first layer IMO.

The coating will not behave differently with 1 coat vs. 5 coats.

Coatings are so thin that if you wanted to build up any significant film, you're applying so many layers it is funny. In my opinion, 1 is perfectly fine. 2 is great. 3 is just because you're bored. 4-5 is just because you're really, really bored.... but I suppose on something as small as brake calipers it doesnt take more than a few minutes, so knock yourself out :)

I think the main reason for 2 coats of any coating or wax is to ensure even application.

After 2 coats imo it's the law of diminishing returns.

Be it waxes,sealants or coatings, if you have full coverage after the first coat, anything after is a waste of time, product and effort. There is no extra gloss or protection after the first coat, on the contrary there is lack of clarity and clouding as you attempt to start stacking.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll probably end up doing 2-3 just to make sure I get full coverage & because it will be so easy to once my parts arrive.

Thanks

Protection and layering questions aside, how will the coatings hold up to the heat? Most coatings see a shortened lifespan on wheels and they don't get nearly as hot as a brake caliper.

Thanks for the info guys.

I'll probably end up doing 2-3 just
to make sure I get full coverage &
because it will be so easy to once
my parts arrive.
At this time:
It appears you've decided that
applying any more than 2-3 layers
of CQUK would be putting too much
Coating on the calipers.

Bob

I'd be more leery of multiple coats after seeing all of the solvent "pitting" issues posted in a private FB coating group lately...

I was told originally that Cquartz UK can handle up to some pretty high temps and should be fine for brakes & Exhausts.

Protection and layering questions aside, how will the coatings hold up to the heat? Most coatings see a shortened lifespan on wheels and they don't get nearly as hot as a brake caliper.

Could that be the brand or maybe not cleaning the surface properly?

I'd be more leery of multiple coats after seeing all of the solvent "pitting" issues posted in a private FB coating group lately...

Could that be the brand or maybe not cleaning the surface properly?

I believe it has been seen across multiple brands and installers, at least based on the account that was given by one reputable individual.

IMO and based on experience, 2 coats is all you need. Anything more is pretty much wasted as you're gloss is not necessarily going to amp up any more and the surface should be completely sealed up already.

The wipe on paint coatings are great on paint, but suck on brake calipers. I rather us a 2K High Temp Clear Coat on brake calipers.

I haven't seen any data or even informal testing on layering coatings. It's in the best interest of coating makers and sellers to have us use multiple layers. So... skeptical.

I believe it has been seen across multiple brands and installers, at least based on the account that was given by one reputable individual.
I think we'd all like to hear more about this if possible.

Not the same car part but I applied 3x's Pinnacle BL paint coating on my brand new wheels, while they sat mounted on brand new tires, over last winter and I can tell you this, the water still beads and clean up is always super easy!

FWIW I would apply 2 coats and leave a lot of time inbetween

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

I haven't seen any data or even informal testing on layering coatings. It's in the best interest of coating makers and sellers to have us use multiple layers. So... skeptical.

I think we'd all like to hear more about this if possible.

Not much else to tell at this point. The condition has been observed in multi-layer coatings; both at the surface and, in other cases, it has revealed itself after a light polish. In some cases the pitting has affected the clearcoat.

There are theories, but the mechanism hasn't been isolated. I doubt it will be unless someone reaches out people that understand our specific application methods.

Have seen some pros offering 8+ layers of Ceramic Pro. Is that a different approach for a pro-only offering or simply excessive?

Anyone can offer layering with an additional price increase, but that doesn’t mean it comes with any beneficial means, besides reducing the dollar in your bank account.

Have seen some pros offering 8+ layers of Ceramic Pro. Is that a different approach for a pro-only offering or simply excessive?

Aston Martin 1 with 11 coats of Ceramic Pro
Aston Martin 2 1 coat of another brand.

Both cars same colour, year model.

Car two looked better,beaded better and had the better durability. Don’t ask why 11 coats on the other.

Back