How cold is too cold?

suttonri

Reaction score
I have a week off in early November. I was going to winterize then. I expect temps will be in the 40s with highs in the 50s. Is that warm enough decontaminate, compound, and seal?
Thanks!

What type of environment will you be working in?

My garage is unheated, but two of the walls are shared with the house. When I close the door and turn on my shop lights, they will easily raise the temps in the garage by roughly 10 degrees. With this in mind, I've washed and clayed a vehicle in some pretty chilly temps and then quickly pulled it into the garage after drying and closed the door. The garage is typically a bit warmer than the outside temps and then with the extra heat from the lights, I have a bit more flexibility when considering temps.

Drive your vehicle and park int he garage with the door closed. Open the hood and let some heat out. If you add in a dual 500w Halogen light set up, not only will they be bright as the sun, but you can add lots of heat with them too.

Its 16F out, is it worth trying anything? At least sunny. Outdoors is all I get.

Its 16F out, is it worth trying anything?
At least sunny. Outdoors is all I get.

Perhaps trying some Vodka?

{Unless it, too, is frozen; then it’s definitely
too cold to do anything that’s even remotely
considered to be Detailing!}

:)

Bob

It was 16F this morning so I went outside for 3 hours and cut wood. Came into the garage and cleaned up the M4 with rinseless Detailer, garage is 47 (heated it) .looks good. Below 40 your compound n sealant might get a bit viscous. Send an email to manufacture and see if the properties change .

For compounding, polishing, sealing or waxing I would say it has to be at least 40 F. Anything colder than that, the chemicals don't seem to flow so well. For 2 bucket washing, rinseless or waterless, my experience has been 20 F and above as long as you are working in direct sunlight. Anything colder than 20 F and the product will freeze on the surface.

Back