What are these black marks?

buzzstrength

Reaction score
Conditions here in Hong Kong is treacherous and it's difficult to keep a daily driver reasonably clean...And this car was washed less than a week ago!

Any idea what exactly are those black marks leading out from the emblem and trim and any efficient ways to avoid them?

Thanks for all the suggestions!
d3ba69af333e04d2a64217e2ad762e7a.jpg

Sent from my Mi A1 using Autogeekonline mobile app

got that in my area too, usually after raining season. I believe that's dirt stuck inside emblems or seam and the rain water pull it out.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Hello, when you say conditions are treacherous, is it because of air pollution? If that’s the case then that would be unfortunate.. But if that’s not the main reason for those black streaks/marks appearing then there might be ways for you to help minimize it from happening.

1st. you’re going to want to get yourself some detailing brushes like these.

468aa6695ca0fbaba5d3fd3dc3ac4c2c.jpg

They don’t cost much but they work wonders to help you detail your emblems and underneath that rear window where it’s normally hard to reach. Notice I’ve trimmed 1 of the brushes to make it firmer, start with a full size brush as you want to use the least aggressive approach 1st. but if you need more scrubbing power use the shorter bristled brush..

You want to make sure you’re using plenty of lubrication aka car wash soap so the best time to do it is during your car wash. Dip the brush and lightly agitate and it helps to fill a spray bottle with your soapy water and continually spray as you’re brushing. You don’t have to do this deep cleaning all the after the 1st time you do it.

Another thing that really helps get that dirt out during your car wash and prevent those marks from appearing later is using compressed air or a blower while you’re drying the vehicle. Using a blower will blow any remaining unseen dirt out of the emblems and cracks around the windows.

Compressed air, electric leaf blower, or a Metro Sidekick when drying your vehicle.

6f857f2e4660ccf52a4a28a7735a5559.jpg

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Eldo nailed my approach as well. As previously said, those are drip lines from residual dirt and maybe black adhesive draining out from behind the badge after a wash. I work badges with brushes and soapy water and then flush rinse thoroughly. Maybe twice. Then blow them dry when done until completely dry.

Thanks all!

And yes Eldo, probably due to air pollution, not to mention my daily commute involve passing by construction sites surrounded by dust clouds and sands...

I do have the brushes but will get myself a can of compressed air next time too...Fingers crossed.

got that in my area too, usually after raining season. I believe that's dirt stuck inside emblems or seam and the rain water pull it out.

^^ this and likely combined with exhaust gases that tend to circulate back there. you'll see this a lot on cars that run rich, especially those with forced induction.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Yup. All my white cars get those streaks too after it rains.

^^ this and likely combined with exhaust gases that tend to circulate back there. you'll see this a lot on cars that run rich, especially those with forced induction.

We get these on the sides around the door handles too and around the emblems.

Thanks all!

And yes Eldo, probably due to air pollution, not to mention my daily commute involve passing by construction sites surrounded by dust clouds and sands...

I do have the brushes but will get myself a can of compressed air next time too...Fingers crossed.

I meant from a compressor.. Compressed air from a can won’t work.

Back