PDA

View Full Version : New guy, looking for advice.

MotoTrip
03-06-2018, 11:26 AM
Hello everyone! New to "detailing" but have always had a passion for cleaning, caring for, and working on my own vehicles. I am looking to purchase my first DA polisher and would like some suggestions and critiquing on my would-be setup. I plan to start detailing on the side/weekends with hopes to eventually move into/start a full-time, professional business. I plan to learn and hone my skills on mine and my family's vehicles first.

The vehicles I will be learning on will be:
2005 Ford F150, DSG Clearcoat Metallic
1996 Nissan Pathfinder in, I believe, Mediterranean Blue. Not sure if this is single stage?
2013 Nissan Altima coupe, Super Black
Possibly 2017 Dodge 1500, Flame Red Clearcoat
2002 Honda CBR954RR, Silver

This is what I'm planning on getting so far:

GG6
5" vented backplate
Megs 5.5" microfiber cutting discs (How many of these would be a good start?)
Lake Country 5.5" flat foam pads (Thinking a 12 pack but not sure which colors?)
D300
M101
M205
Menzerna AIO
BF Wet Diamond

I feel like, from my limited research, that this would be a decent start for learning. All the vehicles are in various states with the Pathfinder being by far the worst condition with several visible scratches. Most cannot be caught with a fingernail though. I appreciate any and all feedback. I plan on picking up Mike's book as well.

briarpatch
03-06-2018, 11:37 AM
Welcome to the forum and to the addiction. I like your choice of DA....the same as mine. It's been stellar for the two years that I've had it. Can not comment on the Lake Country pads, but I use the BOSS 5.5 pads and really like them. There are tons of options as far as an AIO. Right now, the new offering from Blackfire is getting good reviews. If you'd like to try some (since a 32oz bottle is kind of pricey at 39.99), just PM me your address and I'll send you a 4oz bottle. There are lots of good folks to learn from on this forum, so do not hesitate to ask questions.