What is it?

BadgerRivFan

Reaction score
Prepping a friend’s new (to him) 911 GTS Carrera for a coating, and tried to address a spot on the lower rocker in front of the passenger side rear tire. At first it looked like paint transfer to me, so I put some Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion on a microfiber applicator pad and started rubbing...

8f497342aeb63d7da8182a6d8444cceb.jpg

Now it looks like this! Could it be bondo or something? Not sure what to do now, could use some help...

Can't see how a non abrasive paint cleaner could remove the paint. Do you have a paint gauge? Might tell you if it's a repair or not.

Can't see how a non abrasive paint cleaner could remove the paint. Do you have a paint gauge? Might tell you if it's a repair or not.

No, unfortunately I don’t have a paint gauge (just a hobbyist).

I think there may have been some sort of glaze covering the blemish. I could see just a little bit of the beige showing when I started, and the spot looked like it was on top of the paint so I assumed it was a scuff of some type. I had a bit of black on my microfiber applicator after rubbing it. I’m guessing the purple is residual touch up paint or glaze that the dealer had used to mask it that has now started coming off from the paint cleaner?

Al, your friend may be in for a costly repair. Hope there aren't anymore cover ups.

That is crazy looking. Like others have said, looks like some kind of cobbled-up repair.

That is a chip touch up. I would just touch it up and move on. Let him know, but it may not be a super big issue to him. Do you know if he had a ppi on the car?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

That is a chip touch up. I would just touch it up and move on. Let him know, but it may not be a super big issue to him. Do you know if he had a ppi on the car?

I wish I could “just touch it up and move on,” but I don’t have any Porsche touch up paint or Dr. Colorchip for it.

What is ppi?

I wish I could “just touch it up and move on,” but I don’t have any Porsche touch up paint or Dr. Colorchip for it.

What is ppi?
Yes, I know you want to make the car look awesome, especially a GTS. I think you just let him know. He can buy either touch up from the dealer or order online from a place like Dr. Colorchip or Automotive Touch Up.

Does the plastic trim below the damage looks the same on the other side of the car? It's seems like a damage on a repaired part. So maybe it was repaired at some point and then a new damage to it again. That was only covered up with something that blackening the new damage. And when you cleaned it it just washed away. The plastic trim seems to be scraped up to something at one point too. I would do a thorough inspection of the car and since you don't have a paint thickness gauge you can knock with your knuckles lightly to hear any difference in the sound that can tell you something. Then see if you can get a paint thickness gauge to determind if there is so and how much of it that is repaired. It can be original also since Porsche does use different materials to save on the weight of the car. Then a talk with the dealership could be necessary to do.

From the amount of orange peel on the panel in the top right of the picture it's seems to be a repaired and repainted and then a new damage to it. The purple can be some kind of epoxy base coat and under that some kind of fiberglass filler maybe. Then some softer paint that you often use on rocker panels to withstand rock chips better don't know the english word for it lol. That is some kind of rubber paint and it's getting very orange peel when painting with it. And you can apply base coat clearcoat over it too or a single stage paint. Since it's so large an order of color coded paint touch up I would use on it. I would still inspect the whole cars paint to see after masking tape lines as I think you see on the top right panel. And see how much is repainted. Look on the other side of the paints panels where you can and see after bodywork that has been done to it. Inside the doors and in the wheel houses and back under the motor hood and in the front hatch and so on.

Did the cardealer say that it was repainted and repaired? Don't know what they have to inform the customer before sale. But something looks to be done on it. Lift the car up and inspect the undercarige also and look for repairs and the level of rust.

From the amount of orange peel on the panel in the top right of the picture it's seems to be a repaired and repainted and then a new damage to it. The purple can be some kind of epoxy base coat and under that some kind of fiberglass filler maybe. Then some softer paint that you often use on rocker panels to withstand rock chips better don't know the english word for it lol. That is some kind of rubber paint and it's getting very orange peel when painting with it. And you can apply base coat clearcoat over it too or a single stage paint. Since it's so large an order of color coded paint touch up I would use on it. I would still inspect the whole cars paint to see after masking tape lines as I think you see on the top right panel. And see how much is repainted. Look on the other side of the paints panels where you can and see after bodywork that has been done to it. Inside the doors and in the wheel houses and back under the motor hood and in the front hatch and so on.

Did the cardealer say that it was repainted and repaired? Don't know what they have to inform the customer before sale. But something looks to be done on it. Lift the car up and inspect the undercarige also and look for repairs and the level of rust.
I don't think that's orange peel it's more likely than not rock guard applied right before paint

That is the deliberate texture at the bottom applied by Porsche.

Tell your friend, tell him to get some proper Porsche spray touch up paint. Tape it off when he gets it and give it a couple of coats. It's in a pretty neutral spot it's not that big of a deal. Also judging by the rock rash in the pics, the car is not perfect. Touch it up, and move on.

When I look closer to the picture and to the panel on the top right it's seems like it's a protection film there to protect from rock chips? Depending on the overall looks of it it can be worth to switch that out.

And sure it can be only a damage on the original paint too. There where the word I looked for Rock Guard. If you can get some of that and first paint with a brush the rock guard to get the kind of like looking original texture in where it's gone and paint touch up over it. It could be acceptable blend in.

Back