PDA

View Full Version : Wolfgang Fuzion "melting" temperature

engineerwolf
03-27-2018, 06:20 PM
Mike, all,

I keep hearing that carnauba waxes have a "melting" temperature of 140 degrees F. What exactly does that mean because there is very little wax on the vehicle after you apply and properly buff off. I also hear that synthetic waxes (or basically sealants) are much higher. so with that said, if you have a hybrid such as Fuzion, where does that line up? I'm asking because I reside in Texas and my car sits out in the summer sun and heat all day. Also my car is black, which does not help, and I know the paint easily gets well above 140 degrees. So, I'm trying to figure out if a hybrid wax like Fuzion would last fairly long in the summer down here? I currently use Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and typically top with Pinnacle Souveran wax, which I'm also wondering if it is a waste and I should just stay with DGPS.

Thank you for help in advance,

Alan

FUNX650
03-27-2018, 07:36 PM
•In my layman terms:

-Materials’ melt(ing)-points is the temperature
at which materials changes from a solid phase,
to a liquid phase—a temperature that is deter-
mined via ASTM testing protocols. (Once so af-
fected, the materials’ flow-rate is also increased.

-The next phase, after the liquid phase, is the
gaseous phase—an “evaporative event”.
(Note: Time and temperature dependent.)

•WDGPS is a fairly well-known Synthetic Wax
(aka: Sealant). As such:
-It’s melting point is, no doubt, higher than the
lion’s share of the Waxes that are categorized
as being Natural. (And probably higher than
many Hybrid Waxes, as well.)

Bob

fightnews
03-27-2018, 07:37 PM
I've measured my black paint at 152 and it wasn't even a particularly hot day. I think it can get up to at least the 170's on black paint. I don't know if it melts the wax but even if it did it wouldn't fall off the car. I think it would stay on the paint and when it cooled of after dark the wax would solidify again with no harm done.

acuRAS82
03-27-2018, 08:07 PM
Carnauba melts at ~180. I have heard numerous people in this forum talk about carnauba not lasting in summertime and/or really hot climates, especially for black paint. I try to avoid it only during the summer here in PA. When it does melt I would think it won’t fall off the point, but i’m sure it could thin out and be compromised.