Microfiber Opinions and Thoughts

Route246

Reaction score
I recently got into this buying binge and bought 12 different types 16x16/40cmx40cm MF towels to augment my collection. I spent about $450 doing this so it was not a cheap exercise and my wife is scratching her head and I am struggling to find space to store them safely, too, a nice problem to have. I already had samples from AGO and Costco so I ventured out and tried other sources. I avoided the "cheaper" ones from auto parts stores, Wal-Mart, etc. 6 were waffle weave for glass and 6 were standard MF. No brands or sources mentioned here but all sources are widely known in the detailer community. The only "branded" ones were Rag Company, the rest were boutique branded.

This is not a report on testing, evaluation or comparison. It is only about my opinionated thoughts. All 12 different types performed acceptably and competently.

My opinionated conclusions are:

1. GSM (grams per square meter) is easy to calculate using a kitchen scale that registers in grams
    • GSM claims by sellers is mostly accurate
    • I only bought 300 GSM and above
  2. All towels varied between 70:30 and 80:20 (some cheapers ones claim 85:15 or worse)
    • No way to validate this
  3. COO is China and Korea
    • Korean towels are more expensive and generally more often 70:30 and higher GSM
    • COO has no bearing on quality IMO, these are all ODMs and manufacture according to requirements
  4. High-GSM waffle weave is better than low-GSM waffle weave
    • 300 GSM waffle weave is mostly unusable for me, I prefer 400 GSM or higher
  5. Stay away from dark colors, especially on upholstery, the dye will bleed
    • I actually prefer white, baby blue, etc., even though they get grungy and stained
  6. Quantities were 3, 10, 20 or more in order to secure a decent per/towel discount
    • In most cases I had to buy a lot in order to secure free shipping (good excuse to buy more)
  7. Dedicated MF wash (I use CG and Griots) is better than "Free and Clear" detergent, IMO
    • Only because dedicated MF wash tends to rinse out better and leave less residue
  8. Rag Company sells a good product but you pay a premium for the brand
    • I consider them a safe source but I'm not so risk-averse to try unbranded or lesser branded products
  9. The best, highest GSM waffle weave towels, when washed separately provide streak-free performance on glass
    • Lesson learned, wax removal will forever taint a towel and you need to keep these separate from your glass towels
  10. It is much better to have too many than too few towels
    • This sounds trivial but having a big stack ready to go allows for more time efficiency
    • You don't feel constrained and can grab a clean one, even on a whim if you think you "might" need it
    • Unless you are high-volume pro, washing a few extra towels in a batch is not going to cost more

My biggest takeaway is that you mostly get what you pay for. The often-disparaged Costco towels are 80:20 and 360 GSM and perform well for me. I just wanted to venture out and see if there was anything better. What I found is that in this class (80:20, China-sourced, 300-360 GSM) they are all mostly the same.

My second takeaway is GSM is much more important with waffle weave than standard towels. It matters a ton.

Great write-up! What do you think of the edge "finishing" on the towels? I have tended to stay away from MF towels with stitched edges due to the perceived potential of scratches.

Am I being concerned about something that is not a factor?

Thanks!

Great write-up! What do you think of the edge "finishing" on the towels? I have tended to stay away from MF towels with stitched edges due to the perceived potential of scratches.

Am I being concerned about something that is not a factor?

Thanks!

I only have 2 edgeless towels. To be perfectly honest I think it is probably more of a gimmick than otherwise. If you fold the towel in quarters and follow the Mike Phillips method the edge really doesn't come into play.

This is the gold standard for best practices with respect to MF, IMO: How, why & when to inspect your microfiber towels when detailing cars

Nice!! Man, you shoulda hit me up. I’m just across the bridge and have a few towels myself. This is what I had to do to get mine all in one localized place.
b0b32190108a7bedb0e91daee2588215.jpg

4de7599fe8bb54e92c9913aa05d2183f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Nice!! Man, you shoulda hit me up. I’m just across the bridge and have a few towels myself. This is what I had to do to get mine all in one localized place.

Actually, your pics earlier is what inspired me to do this. I figured, "Heck, I'm not the only crazy guy out there, why not?" Now, I'm trying to figure out where to keep them handy for use.

Now I don’t feel so bad, I have over 700 pads from all top brands in foam,mf,wool in storage bins just like that.

Now I don’t feel so bad, I have over 700 pads from all top brands in foam,mf,wool in storage bins just like that.

My pads all fit into two large bins. I'm done buying pads for awhile now.

Once you start buying by the case, you run out of space quickly. This wasn’t my initial plan to store my towels and pads but they were overflowing in my laundry room and my garage. Like I said, if there’s something you’ve been wanting to try, let me know. I may have it.

Don't worry about having too many towels. It's like having too much money or too many toys. I have a variety of towels from Costco, the Rag Company and Autogeek and I use all of them. They all have a purpose and they suit those purposes well. The yellow devils from Costco are great for cleaning grubby interiors, wheels, wheel wells and engine bays. Autogeek provides me with Zap Cloths, Cobra waffle weave drying and glass towels that work superbly. The Rag Company Pluffle and Eagle Edgeless are perfect for drying and detail spray touch ups.
Some of my towels have even made it into the kitchen where my stainless steel appliances shine.

The Rag Company Eagle Edgeless are perfect for drying and detail spray touch ups.

I couldn’t disagree more. Those towels are horrible for drying... I’ll even take a Costco towel for quik detailing over those any day of the week.

Correction: I didn’t see Pluffle in that sentence. But I stand by my opinion of those beagle edgeless towels, those things aren’t good at anything.

I couldn’t disagree more. Those towels are horrible for drying... I’ll even take a Costco towel for quik detailing over those any day of the week.

Sorry that you had a bad experience. I use the Pluffle for drying and the Eagles Edgeless for quick detailing without incident. There are no streaks and no scratches on my midnight blue truck.

Sorry that you had a bad experience. I use the Pluffle for drying and the Eagles Edgeless for quick detailing without incident. There are no streaks and no scratches on my midnight blue truck.

I’ve recently branched out (again) and got some minx and EE towels.

They’re super nice on surfaces that are basically dry, and I could see them being useful after a sheeting rinse for a traditional wash.

I’m struggling to find a place for them that involves any considerable amount of liquid though.

I wanted them to be my final pass drying towel during a rinseless wash, because they really do *feel* nice. They just immediately become grabby the second they’re introduced to anything more than a tiny drop of water, and the fibers are ripped right out of them (or it’s just severe linting.)

I haven’t tried buffing off like.. compounds/polishes/LSP yet, but I honestly can’t imagine them behaving differently. I will try it though, of course.

As it stands, the spectrum 420 is the only towel from TRC that I’ve tried that feels/behaves like I want it to. Really nice towel.

So far from worst -> best experience with TRC;

Creature -> minx -> Eagle -> spectrum

Very interesting that some people have 0 issues while I’m sitting here fighting with the same towels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve recently branched out (again) and got some EE towels.

They’re super nice on surfaces that are basically dry

I’m struggling to find a place for them that involves any considerable amount of liquid though.

I wanted them to be my final pass drying towel during a rinseless wash, because they really do *feel* nice. They just immediately become grabby the second they’re introduced to anything more than a tiny drop of water, and the fibers are ripped right out of them (or it’s just severe linting.)

I haven’t tried buffing off like.. compounds/polishes/LSP yet, but I honestly can’t imagine them behaving differently.

Very interesting that some people have 0 issues while I’m sitting here fighting with the same towels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*nods*

I agree with everything you just said here.Perfect description.

And you’re not missing out on anything.. They suck at that too. Lol.

I wish I could combine them into 1 large towel, that way I could at least give it to my cat so she could sleep in it.

I honestly just don't get it.

Like... Videos from obsessed garage when matt was using them with hydrate? I tried using a minx in that fashion and I honestly had to actually pull to get it across my roof, only to be left with a pretty shocking amount of lint. How could such a difference in user experience even happen? The towels feel premium, for sure. I WANT to like them, like I want to like my BRS, but they just keep letting me down. Except the spectrum, that towel rocks.

It just really grinds my gears seeing a video where someone effortlessly glides a minx/EE across a panel with a QD. What gives?

Edit: I was actually talking with Visitor about this, and I sort of determined that my pretty subpar user experience might be due to ONR not being particularly slick, because using UWW+ it's a significantly different experience. Just a thought I had. I know that you use wolfgang uber, and I'm assuming that's also pretty slick, so I could be way off base.

Once you start buying by the case, you run out of space quickly. This wasn’t my initial plan to store my towels and pads but they were overflowing in my laundry room and my garage. Like I said, if there’s something you’ve been wanting to try, let me know. I may have it.

Thanks. There is really nothing I wanted to try other than to "venture out" and see for myself why people are so opinionated and almost religious about their MF. I'm not. I'm just a hobbyist and my objective is to be as efficient as possible. I am also not one to "run with the crowd" and I usually have to try things myself to see how my results compare to expectation. As for PBM products (WG, McKees, etc.), Optimum, Collinite, Megs, et. al. I am really impressed with these products compared to the consumer products at the auto parts stores, Target, Wal-Mart and other places. Couple all of this to a DA, nice pads, a lot of know-how gathered here and putting in time trying things and I think I've come up with processes and methods that work well for my requirements.

Regarding MF I think I can now act authoritatively for myself when evaluating MF products based on this latest batch of purchases. It's fun, too.

you're not alone,
i do have that same user experience...
their edgeless 365/300 is worth looking though :D

I’m just across the bridge and have a few towels myself. This is what I had to do to get mine all in one localized place.

You know when I saw the first picture I thought you were making a joke--until I saw the second picture.

You know when I saw the first picture I thought you were making a joke--until I saw the second picture.

You should’ve heard the conversation between my wife and I when I told her I was getting a shed to house my towels.

Back