PDA

View Full Version : How to clean ATV ?

01AUDI
06-01-2018, 11:58 AM
I am in the need of help cleaning my atv. It is used soley for hunting, so it gets quit dirty. I use it most of the year but I stay indoors during the summer so I want to clean it up before fall. I need something safe enough to clean the engine block mainly but also work on the axels, springs and whatever else is under there. I am a nut about scent control and I drive the atv each day hunting so this is where i need to know if there is some product that will not leave behind a scent. I know i have some time for it to wear off, but id prefer a "scentless" type if possible. I need to clean off mainly years of dirt, but also a little spilled oil on the engine block. I need to clean, but don't want to dry up older plastic lines. Has anyone ever had a job like this before ? Any tips would be great. I don't think using a pressure washer would be smart as there are lots of open electrical area, etc that probably cant get wet. And using a mit seems hard as its not a flat surface like a car fender.

I currently have Poorboys APC, will that work?

I also had seen online a video of a guy using Eagle One Etching Mag Wheel Cleaner Spray, And I have seen Chemical Guys having "off road" products, but again i don't know what will be safe on the engine, etc.

Is there something specific i need to look for that will make sure it is safe for engine blocks ? To be clear, i am not cleaning the body plastics, this is just the underside engine and components.

briarpatch
06-01-2018, 12:16 PM
We use quads for hunting, too, and I've never worried about scent control when it comes to cleaning products for it. The exhaust fumes and noise it generates are a lot worse than any residue left behind by a cleaner. If it's deer hunting...they get accustomed to the noise and smell, just like deer that live around farms get used to the sound and smell of tractors. As far as cleaning products, any engine degreaser should work fine, when paired with a decent brush to break up the nasty stuff. rinse it well, and you'll mitigate residual odors.

01AUDI
06-01-2018, 12:36 PM
OK great to hear. I have never cleaned this atv before.

so you think the Poorboys APC will be fine, i know it will take on grease and oil.. but what about caked on mud ?

I think i am going to mix in a spray bottle and do what you said, use a good brush and then hose rinse off. That way i can control my mess and not ruin anything.

pilotpip
06-01-2018, 02:31 PM
I've never cleaned my ATV. The one time it's been super muddy I did hit it with my power washer but that's about it. When I did that, I took care to avoid the block, and electrical connections but those are pretty limited on a 90s era Bayou. The deer are used to them, and tons of farm impliments around my property and the surrounding ones so I don't really care about the scent. The only care I take is I don't fuel in my hunting clothes. Early season bow hunting when I want to get in and out quietly, I walk and leave the Kawasaki at camp

DMW
06-01-2018, 05:16 PM
I can tell you what NOT to use. Armor all on the seat. I did that as a kid once and learned the hard way. I also recommend being very careful with a pressure washer on a quad or motorcycle. I've blown off a decal on my bike before and you don't want to get water into the exhaust.

briarpatch
06-01-2018, 09:36 PM
OK great to hear. I have never cleaned this atv before.

so you think the Poorboys APC will be fine, i know it will take on grease and oil.. but what about caked on mud ?

I think i am going to mix in a spray bottle and do what you said, use a good brush and then hose rinse off. That way i can control my mess and not ruin anything.

Poorboys APC will work fine. We run ours through some of the worst mud you can imagine...it's like a torture test week in and week out. If the mud is caked on, and has dried and kind of 'baked' on, it will take a little doing to clean it. Take your time, and you'll get it off.

01AUDI
06-02-2018, 09:06 AM
What would you not spray APC on ? Shocks, brake area, hoses, etc ? Or would i be ok to just spray it all ? I don't want to wipe away any good grease or it to seep into something that it shouldn't.

briarpatch
06-02-2018, 09:30 AM
What would you not spray APC on ? Shocks, brake area, hoses, etc ? Or would i be ok to just spray it all ? I don't want to wipe away any good grease or it to seep into something that it shouldn't.

Just hit the heavy mud/grime areas, brush and rinse. Don't overthink this...I've seen these things submerged and still run. A little water won't hurt

01AUDI
06-02-2018, 09:34 AM
haha im not worried about the water, just the APC eating away anything it shouldn't. But yea i'll just spray and not let it sit long, then rinse well. Maybe i'll post it up after, the first ATV for the site !