Question regarding humidity and wax/sealant

mrq0604

Reaction score
I know that humidity affects longevity of wax and sealant applied on the car.

So what level of humidity is considered appropriate environment for detailing?

I will be detailing in the garage with the gate open. It will be 88% tomorrow morning and 65% in the afternoon. Would these conditions be suitable for applying wax and sealant?

Thanks in advance.

I don’t think it matters too much. Where I live the humidity stays high almost always. I prefer to detail when the temperature is the most comfortable to me and don’t worry about it’s effect on the product. Unless it’s raining, lol.

I don’t think it matters too much. Where I live the humidity stays high almost always. I prefer to detail when the temperature is the most comfortable to me and don’t worry about it’s effect on the product. Unless it’s raining, lol.

Thanks. I've always known not to wax the car when it's humid. Otherwise wax will not bond to the paint. Maybe it's a misconception...?

I know that humidity affects longevity
of wax and sealant applied on the car.

So what level of humidity is considered
appropriate environment for detailing?

I will be detailing in the garage with the gate
open. It will be 88% tomorrow morning and
65% in the afternoon. Would these conditions
be suitable for applying wax and sealant?

•Let’s suppose you apply a Wax or Sealant
in a humidity controlled environment—one
that is considered to be virtually perfect:

-What happens to these LSPs when they
leave that perfect environment, and
are then subjected to the not so perfect
environments of an imperfect world?

I've always known not to wax the car
when it's humid. Otherwise wax will
not bond to the paint.

Maybe it's a misconception...?
IMO:
It probably is a misconception.
Waxes don’t actually bond to paint.
Sealants probably do. Not Waxes.

Disclaimer:
That is, of course, unless I have, somehow,
been (mis)led down that unrighteousness
path of duplicity.

Bob

•Let’s suppose you apply a Wax or Sealant
in a humidity controlled environment—one
that is considered to be virtually perfect:

-What happens to these LSPs when they
leave that perfect environment, and
are then subjected to the not so perfect
environments of an imperfect world?

Bob

That is what the wax an sealant are supposed to do - protect the car's paint from imperfect world.

I've learned from my mistake in the past that if the wax and sealant are not applied correctly, no matter how good-quality brands they are, they won't even last a month. The reason I'm asking about humidity's effect on wax/sealant's longevity is that I don't want to repeat that mistake.

But if experts say that it's no big deal, then I guess I'll go ahead with detailing this weekend.

That is what the wax an sealant are
supposed to do - protect the car's
paint from imperfect world.
But if you can’t apply them in an
imperfect environment, then:
What good are they?

Bob

I don’t think I’ve ever read anything about humidity effecting anything other than the drying time of LSPs.

In the latest Optimum Synergy Podcast Yvan was talking about humidity effecting how fast something like Paint Guard cross links. Never mentioned anything about high humidity effecting durability, and I have to assume if something as picky as a pro level coatings longevity isn’t effected; a simple wax or sealant wouldn’t be either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct procedures lead to correct results. But if they do not apply to waxes and sealants unlike I have been led to believe, then I am very happy to hear

BTW, I am OP. I happen to have 2 different accounts... one for computer and one for iPhone.

I've definitely read some posts and articles from forums (not sure if from Autogeek) that temperature and humidity affect wax and sealant, albeit a decade ago when I was starting to care for my car...

BTW, I am OP.
I happen to have 2 different accounts...
one for computer and one for iPhone.
YIKES!!!

3F6F26F4-239D-48DA-83F1-01BE91EA1E24.jpeg

Bob

Yeah... Didn't know I had 2 accounts until recently... For some reason, Tapatalk logged me out of my main account (e93to), and logged me back in with an old account I was not aware of.

Back