Meguiars D120 Glass Cleaner-Of course it’s safe for tinted glass

Eldorado2k

Reaction score
I just read someone on the sister site saying that Meguiars glass cleaner isn’t safe for tinted glass... I just want to say that’s just plain miss information.

Not only do I know it’s perfectly safe on tint from having used it for several years.. But just to be completely sure, I just spoke to Meguiars CS and they confirmed it’s 100% safe to use on tinted glass.

ad03bbca315249ef4ea07545e92b7084.heic

Some things are pretty obvious...

Related but unrelated, Uber @ 3:128 in distilled has been working surprisingly well as a glass cleaner also...

Related but unrelated, Uber @ 3:128 in distilled has been working surprisingly well as a glass cleaner also...

IMO Megs D114 or McKee’s N-914 works better than Uber as glass cleaner.

IMO Megs D114 or McKee’s N-914 works better than Uber as glass cleaner.

I agree. As for my “special” glass cleaner, I use D114 mixed at 1:128 and then in a 16oz bottle mix 12oz D114 with 4oz CG v07. Cleans very well and the V07 helps to keep the surface slick so the towel doesn’t bunch up.

I agree. As for my “special” glass cleaner, I use D114 mixed at 1:128 and then in a 16oz bottle mix 12oz D114 with 4oz CG v07. Cleans very well and the V07 helps to keep the surface slick so the towel doesn’t bunch up.

I wonder how that would work with D156

BTW, I use for inside glass. V07 is slick but not hydrophobic so no moisture on inside glass either.

BTW, I use for inside glass. V07 is slick but not hydrophobic so no moisture on inside glass either.

Are you talking about straight up V07? I have 1.5 gallons left and I've been looking for a use for it. It doesn't streak or have any ill effects on interior glass? I'll have to mix up a batch and try it. I've been using V07 for door jambs, under the hood, etc. but 1.5 gallons is not being used up very quickly. This may accelerate things a bit if it works well on interior glass. This will probably work great for the door jambs, too.

I’m with Eldo, I’ve been using D120 on after market tinted windows for over a year and no issues.

I just read someone on the sister site saying that Meguiars glass cleaner isn’t safe for tinted glass... I just want to say that’s just plain miss information.

Not only do I know it’s perfectly safe on tint from having used it for several years.. But just to be completely sure, I just spoke to Meguiars CS and they confirmed it’s 100% safe to use on tinted glass.

ad03bbca315249ef4ea07545e92b7084.heic

Some things are pretty obvious...

As far as I know you are right. Even though I used this product for a few years because of it's low price, I really don't like it. Now I use either just plain ONR or ONR mixed with windshield fluid and that combo works amazingly. Cleanes a lot better, doesn't leavy sand like residue like D120 did and cleans perfectly on the first try, an other thing D120 didn't do especially on windshield where I had to clean sometimes 4 times to get it perfectly clean. Have not tried other rinseless or waterless but I am blown away at how good ONR is at cleaning glass. That is what I use on instrument clusters and nav screens now. For other glass, I prefer to mix it with windshield washer fluid since it contains alcohol and it can cut though grease easier if it is present.

Are you talking about straight up V07? I have 1.5 gallons left and I've been looking for a use for it. It doesn't streak or have any ill effects on interior glass? I'll have to mix up a batch and try it. I've been using V07 for door jambs, under the hood, etc. but 1.5 gallons is not being used up very quickly. This may accelerate things a bit if it works well on interior glass. This will probably work great for the door jambs, too.
Yep, straight up. But I put 12oz in a 16oz bottle with D114 mixed at 128:1 and then last 4oz is topped off with V07 . Been using this for over a year. Also because V07 usually has a tendency to flash away so it doesn’t usually require much, if any buffing of residue.

Never any issues here either on my tint. My wife can always tell when I have done windows (smell). Might try something else next time but this stuff last forever.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

Yep, straight up. But I put 12oz in a 16oz bottle with D114 mixed at 128:1 and then last 4oz is topped off with V07 . Been using this for over a year. Also because V07 usually has a tendency to flash away so it doesn’t usually require much, if any buffing of residue.

That's a sweet tip, thanks!!

Meguiars D120 is definitely safe for tinted glass. The MSDS states that it is made of mostly water, a type of ethanol and isopropanol. It is also pH neutral. Just don't drink it.

Does anyone know why this is the only chemical in the Meguiars lineup that stains the sprayer yellow? Mine did it after a few months and now the rest still look new but the glass cleaners is yellow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone know why this is the only chemical in the Meguiars lineup that stains the sprayer yellow? Mine did it after a few months and now the rest still look new but the glass cleaners is yellow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not sure about that. Meguiars do use a lot of dyes in their products to give them distinctive colors. A channel I watch complained about D120 saying that overspray from this product can stain leather and cloth on doors. For me that was not an issue since I spray into my towels and not on the windows, but that is something you should be mindful of if you spray the inside windows directly.

As for bottle stains, Wheel Brightnener stains the bottles too. In the case of D120 it might be due to either the solvants or the dyes. Does it matter? It won't be on the tint long enough to stain it even if you use it often. It takes months of continious contact with large amout of product to stain the plastic of the bottles. Also the type of material used to make window tint is very likelly very different from what those bottles are made of. Usually plastic bottles use type 1 plastic (Poly ethylene) but windows tint can be made of various things including ceramic, metal and various form and quantity of plastic.

Is there a good substitute for D114 in that secret recipe since it's been discontinued?

Back