Claying after a week

E93to

Reaction score
Well, I started detailing my car on Friday, but couldn't finish because I dropped all the clays...

I was going to continue yesterday or today, but the weather is unbearable. So I will likely to pick up where I left off on upcoming Thursday (6 days after I started detailing my car).

Would it be ok to clay my car without washing it first (I will be re-claying the entire car as some parts of the paint feel rough)? Of course, the car won't be driven, and will be kept in garage. But the garage will be opened and closed a couple of times a day as I drive the other car.

Thanks in advance.

It really depends on how much dust builds up over that time. At minimum i would take a quick detailer to it. If there is enough built up dust it would probably be better to do a rinseless wash with a product like ONR - quick and effective. Otherwise you are just grinding those dirt particles into your paint as you clay. As for dropping your clay, you may want to consider a clay alternative that you can simply rinse off if dropped or a mitt that is less likely to fall to the ground.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I don't have rinseless wash products.

I might actually continue detailing tomorrow (3 days after I started detailing my car). I haven't even opened the garage since Friday...

Also, what is this clay alternative product that can be reused if dropped?

EDIT: is this called "nano skin?"

Autogeek sells nanoskin wash mitt, optimum clay towels, optimum eraser and probably more. I have the nanoskin and it makes claying much quicker plus the ability to just wash it off if dropped or when it picks up enough contaminants.

Clay Aiken giving claying advice. It doesn’t get any better.

I would never clay my car without washing it first. A lot of dust can settle on your car in a week. Why take a chance on dragging dust over your paint when you can give it a quick wash in fifteen minutes?

I have never used anything other than clay bars but i would like to try nanoskin or like products.

Dave

I'm with crovello, I wouldn't clay without thoroughly washing.

Can I just Iron-X my car, wipe it down with wet wash mitt and rinse it? I might continue retailing tomorrow

I don't have rinseless wash products.

I might actually continue detailing tomorrow (3 days after I started detailing my car). I haven't even opened the garage since Friday...

Also, what is this clay alternative product that can be reused if dropped?

EDIT: is this called "nano skin?"

What are you using for lubrication? Most clay lubes are a form of rinseless wash or waterless wash but at lower concentration. So if you have plenty of clay lube, you could use this as a product to wipe down the panels before claying.

Also if you have a tendency to drop clay, you should look into alternative clay solutions like NanoSkin sponges or clay towels. Those can be simply washed off if you drop them. They are also faster to use taking about half the time to clay a panel compared to traditional clay. The only downside is that in certain cases, they might not be able to remove everything. It has only happened to me once in 5 years, so that is very uncommon.

If you do clay your car from time to time, getting a bottle of ONR or other rinseless or waterless solution would be a good idea. It will cost you pennies to make clay lube, and you will have the most versatile product you can get in your arsenal. These rinseless/waterless products can be diluted to make: Washing solution, clay lube, quick detailer, drying aid, glass cleaners. Most can be used as a substitute for APC for interiors as long as the surfaces are not hammered.

I personally use Optimum No-Rinse and I love it. But a lot of the Waterless products are very good also, some being an even better value than ONR.

Can Iron X, ISP and Klasse Sealant be left in hot garage? Would that affect these products in any way?

Can Iron X, ISP and Klasse Sealant be left in hot garage? Would that affect these products in any way?

While I may not know the scientific answer to this, I'll give you my common sense answer: No.

I never leave my products in any extreme temps. Hot or cold. IMO, if it doesn't damage the product, (I know freezing will), it certainly can't help it.

Plus, with all the money I have invested in these products, I won't take any chances. All my products are stored in my detail bags inside my house in a controlled environment when not in use.

As others have mentioned, you want to thoroughly wash the vehicle first. The last thing you want to do is have the clay pickup some kind of substance and drag it across your paint. Secondly I NEVER clay unless I'm "prepared" to have to polish after. Likewise, if you're dropping all your clay, you should invest in a clay-mitt, such as the Griot's Garage or Nano-Skin. If you drop those, just hose them off.

Also, grab some McKee's M914 Rinselss Wash, one dilution for rinsless wash solutions, and another for clay-lubricant. You will use A LOT! For dilution containers, I go to the camping section of Walmart and get the blue 5 Gallon liquid containers with spigots.

Lastly, while products (like humans) would like to reside in a nice comfy 68 degrees year round, products don't have a choice. My cabinet is in the garage, and today it's going to 108 and 114 by the end of the week. They should be fine. I wouldn't leave ceramic-coatings in the garage, those stay in-side the house. The products are designed to have a good long shelf life and withstand temperatures as long as their in proper containers closed tightly.

As others have mentioned, you want to thoroughly wash the vehicle first. The last thing you want to do is have the clay pickup some kind of substance and drag it across your paint. Secondly I NEVER clay unless I'm "prepared" to have to polish after. Likewise, if you're dropping all your clay, you should invest in a clay-mitt, such as the Griot's Garage or Nano-Skin. If you drop those, just hose them off.

Also, grab some McKee's M914 Rinselss Wash, one dilution for rinsless wash solutions, and another for clay-lubricant. You will use A LOT! For dilution containers, I go to the camping section of Walmart and get the blue 5 Gallon liquid containers with spigots.

Lastly, while products (like humans) would like to reside in a nice comfy 68 degrees year round, products don't have a choice. My cabinet is in the garage, and today it's going to 108 and 114 by the end of the week. They should be fine. I wouldn't leave ceramic-coatings in the garage, those stay in-side the house. The products are designed to have a good long shelf life and withstand temperatures as long as their in proper containers closed tightly.

Yeah, but 114 is like AC to Paul now.......... :laughing:

As a rule of thumb, car care products should not be stored in locations of either temperature extremes.

:)

Should I throw these products away? They have been in the garage since Friday, and temp has been 90... Don't know how hot it was the garage though

I certainly wouldn't throw them away. I highly doubt a few days in warm temps is going to hurt anything. Maybe over the course of weeks or months if they are temperature sensitive. I keep most of my products in my garage other than ceramic coatings which I take in the house.

I threw them away... Ordered new Klasse sealant, claybar and Iron X. Wanted to order nanoskin, they didn't have it in stock

I threw them away... Ordered new Klasse sealant, claybar and Iron X. Wanted to order nanoskin, they didn't have it in stock

Wow. I can’t believe you just threw away your stuff without having to...
Heck, I’ve had all this stuff sitting outside for almost a week in 75-80 degree weather and I wouldn’t even think of any of it going “bad”

c26548af793fd6d49cb230e0d405b08d.jpg

The only things I make sure to bring indoors and take extra care of are my clay towels [I’ve had a couple of them melt in direct sun], Tire Coating [because it’s the last of it and it’s too good to take a chance with], and paint sealant. Everything else is just fine.

Wow. I can’t believe you just threw away your stuff without having to...
Heck, I’ve had all this stuff sitting outside for almost a week in 75-80 degree weather and I wouldn’t even think of any of it going “bad”

c26548af793fd6d49cb230e0d405b08d.jpg

The only things I make sure to bring indoors and take extra care of are my clay towels [I’ve had a couple of them melt in direct sun], Tire Coating [because it’s the last of it and it’s too good to take a chance with], and paint sealant. Everything else is just fine.

Temp has been 90+ in Toronto for almost a week now. And our garage faces west, so it gets quite hot in there.

And you even said paint sealant should be stored inside in this post. I won't take any chances with my car.

Back