PDA

View Full Version : How to remove a coating 3 months old?

RiverCityAutoSpa
07-06-2018, 10:37 PM
So I have an upcoming ceramic project on a track hawk pearl white. It was coated in February by another detailer and the guy said he didn’t like the way it came out of whatever and wants me to redo it.

Is is there any special way to “remove” the old coating?

Plan on doing all the regular prep steps but was wondering how you would approach it?

I know the guy who did coat it and he’s experienced in coatings does way more than I do, I’ve only done about 5 cars ceramic.

RZJZA80
07-06-2018, 11:38 PM
It'll be removed when you polish the car.

SWETM
07-07-2018, 12:49 AM
What kind of coating where applyied?

And does the customer want you to apply another coating?

To remove the coating that are applyied a polish would do it. But some coatings needs a more aggressive approach. That's why the specific coating that are applyied is good to know.

RiverCityAutoSpa
07-07-2018, 07:22 AM
Total auto cc105 was used. Guy say he did a crappy job wants trackhawk recoated and new SRT Durango coated

SWETM
07-07-2018, 08:05 AM
When you do the test spot and with the least aggressive combo. Have a panel wipe product at hand and a spray bottle of water . After polish the test spot wipe down with the panel wipe product. And spray a little water to see if the water behavior have changed between the newly polished area and the coated area. Some says they feel a change in the polisher behavior when going through the coating. But with this is the way I know of to see if you get the coating off. I think it's the gtechnic crystal serum pro coating that need to be wet sanding off the paint. So hope you get the coating off with just polishing or compounding. If the coating has a darkening effect that's on the paint you may see when you get that effect off too.

Good luck and hope it's going to be an easy job to do.
What coating are you going to apply?

Jon TDS
07-13-2018, 06:11 AM
This is what I understand too. Hence I'm shying away from coating due to difficulty in removing for "just in case" moments.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

TTQ B4U
07-13-2018, 06:19 AM
This is what I understand too. Hence I'm shying away from coating due to difficulty in removing for "just in case" moments.

Coatings are easy. Don't shy away. You're leaving quite a bit of potential income on the table if you do.

kodakdave
07-14-2018, 08:09 PM
i have great experience with cquartz uk, kinda hard to wipe off but applying is easy, also a finishing polish like sf3800 with a finishing polish removes the cquartz so its easy to repair if u messed up a spot :)

Ebg18t
07-15-2018, 06:59 AM

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

They are getting easier & easier to use. The new CQUK 3.0 is much easier to level than the last formula. I bet you could increase you bottom line by offering a coating.

C5Longhorn
07-15-2018, 08:38 AM
Make sure you come to an agreement with the client on his expectations. Since you said the other coater was experienced and has done a lot of coatings, you want to make sure you find out what he doesn't like, especially if everything looks as you would expect and you don't see any obvious flaws.

Sent from my SHT-W09 using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)