Flex 3401 & WGUC issues

snowracer21

Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently recieved my Wolfgang FLEX XC3401 ultimate polishing kit order from AG, and today was my first day using the 3401. This tool is amazing! Now, on to my question:

I began with the 5-1/2" LC Cyan pad and WG Uber Compound 3.0. I spritzed the pad with the WG pad conditioner, and then primed the pad according to Mike's instructional videos. Then applied an adequate amount of product to work with. I'm working on a 10 year old black Infiniti SUV with some major swirl marks. I had the vehicle in my garage, and temps were in the mid 70s, low humidity.

I followed Mike's instructional videos to a T, but after the 3rd or 4th section pass, the WGUC would dry up and begin dusting very badly. I tried using more/less product, made sure my bad was clean, etc. I believe I'm using proper techniques... any suggestions?

I began with the 5-1/2" LC Cyan pad and WG Uber Compound 3.0.

Not that this pad should or would be a factor for dusting and drying up but that's a fairly small and thin pad for this tool.

The term thin is in "mostly" applies to free spinning oribitals where more mass i.e. thicker pads makes it more difficult to maintain pad rotation. With gear-driven tools, pad thickness or thinness is not and issue and for the most part a thicker pad is easier to use overall than a thinner pad.

I remember we used to carry a 6.5" Hydro-Tech pads, haven't looked lately as I tend not to use closed-cell foam pads.

I spritzed the pad with the WG pad conditioner, and then primed the pad according to Mike's instructional videos. Then applied an adequate amount of product to work with. I'm working on a 10 year old black Infiniti SUV with some major swirl marks. I had the vehicle in my garage, and temps were in the mid 70s, low humidity.

I followed Mike's instructional videos to a T, but after the 3rd or 4th section pass, the WGUC would dry up and begin dusting very badly.

I tried using more/less product, made sure my bad was clean, etc.

I believe I'm using proper techniques... any suggestions?

Is the paint visibly oxidized?

How large of a section are you working?

:)

Not that this pad should or would be a factor for dusting and drying up but that's a fairly small and thin pad for this tool.

Mike, thanks for the quick reply! The pad is the LC Cyan Hydro-Tech, which came with the ultimate polishing kit that I purchased from Autogeek. Would you suggest a thicker pad?

Is the paint visibly oxidized?

How large of a section are you working?
:)

Negative on the oxidized paint, and depending on the panel (it's an FX35 and has a lot of curves/body lines), anywhere from 12"x12" to 20"x20"

I didnt know Mike recommended spritz of pad conditioner AND priming the pad together. Is that accurate? Ive always done either or.

How large a section are you trying to correct each time?

I've never noticed WG Uber Compound dusting. I might suggest a spray bottle with distilled water in it. And give the pad one single spritz here and there.

After a couple sections then lightly brush the pad, and clean a bit on the fly might help remove product buildup and over-saturation.

Re: Flex 3401 & WGUC issues

I have this problem sometimes with compounds, especially if it's really hot outside. Shorter duration section passes and add a tiny bit of finishing polish and the problem can be made less impactful. I add two or three drops of M205 and then add the compound. You don't need to keep adding polish to the pad, just a couple times has always been enough in my experience.

And as others mentioned, cleaning the pad after every section is very helpful.

Back