Anyone coated boat seats?

agarabaghi

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone has ever used something like gyeon leather coat or leather shield on boat vinyl fabric.

Just picked up a new boat and the white seats already scare me lol

I have not coated my seats ( boat is now 6 years old. Cobalt 242 bow rider. Seats r still in good condition as it is only used on weekends n covered the rest of the time .used 5 months out of the year. They r white n are showing some color changes so a coating would have been beneficial. Sorry can’t help. I do clean n condition every month when in use

Prob will try the leather cleaner and leather coat. Our boat gets used year round daily so anything to make the wipe down easier and prevent staining would be awesome

Ours is already packed up for the winter (stored indoors). Wish I could use it year round !

Spoke with gyeon they recommended the leathercoat over the leathershield as they were worried the shield would
Not
Bond with vinyl as well as leather.

Spoke with gyeon they recommended the leathercoat over the leathershield as they were worried the shield would
Not
Bond with vinyl as well as leather.

I find this odd from Gyeon but hey they are the manufacturer. The leather coating is protecting the coating that is found on modern day leather and leather alternatives (vinyl, etc..). As long as the vinyl seats on your boat are coated then the leather coating would work fine. Just my thoughts.

CarPro has their own leather coating and they state it works on vinyl.

CarPro Cquartz Leather Coating

Both are very good products. You can also use one of the many leather products offered through Autogeek on vinyl.

Did you get rid of the MC? What did you end up getting?

I have been using Collinite 855 Leather and Vinyl Wax on my 89 TriStar 190 and my father's 81 Skier 19. So far, so good. Granted the vinyl is old to begin with, long term results are to be determined!

I find this odd from Gyeon but hey they are the manufacturer. The leather coating is protecting the coating that is found on modern day leather and leather alternatives (vinyl, etc..). As long as the vinyl seats on your boat are coated then the leather coating would work fine. Just my thoughts.

CarPro has their own leather coating and they state it works on vinyl.

CarPro Cquartz Leather Coating

Both are very good products. You can also use one of the many leather products offered through Autogeek on vinyl.

I think im going to avoid these kind of coatings as you can see from the description in the product page:

Professional Product
Avoid use on white/light colored interiors
Confirm any leather is standard finished leather only and if unsure perform 2 week visual test on inconspicuous surface.

I believe this is why Gyeon suggest the LeatherCoat

I think im going to avoid these kind of coatings as you can see from the description in the product page:

Professional Product
Avoid use on white/light colored interiors
Confirm any leather is standard finished leather only and if unsure perform 2 week visual test on inconspicuous surface.

I believe this is why Gyeon suggest the LeatherCoat

That precaution on white or light interiors was put there because the kit used to come with orange suede applicators which was causing staining. Although I never had that happen on light interiors. The new kits come with white suede applicators. Check out my review on both products.

Good to know! Got a sample for me to try ������

Thank picked up a bottle, question how do you prep the leather? I was going to use the Gyeon Leather cleaner to prep the vinyl as it says to not leave residue behind? Think that will work?

The Guz thanks for the recommendation. Ive finished coating the entire boat. All the seats t hat could be remove are in the house curing, and the rest under the cover in the boat house.

1 CarPro Cquartz Leather coating bottle barely did an entire boat. There is a lot more vinyl in a boat than in a car! haha....

What do you use for cleaning? Typiucal APC or something less powerful?

After 12 of curing I was tempted to compare the CQuartz leather coating vs the Gyeon LeatherCoat

Gyeon recommended LeatherCoat over LeatherShield as they were uncertain how LeatherShield (similar to CQuartz Leather coating) would bond to boat vinyl. I think they are correct in that CQuartz / Leather Shield has a hard time bonding to the vinyl used in modern boats.

Top is CQuartz after 12hours
Bottom is LeatherCoat after 1 hour.

I think the winner is pretty clear.

View attachment 65176

View attachment 65177

Even if LeatherCoat from Gyeon doesnt last as long, it seem like it def has more hydrophobic properties or at least was able to bond better.

I did not check your thread in the last few days. What was your prep? Just the Gyeon Leather Cleaner?

Here are the directions straight from CarPro's site

Directions:
1.Thoroughly clean all dirt, moisture, and oils from surface with non-oily, interior safe cleaner that leaves no sealant or dressing
2.Wipe with a water damp towel to remove residue from your cleaner if needed
3.Pour a few drops on white cotton applicators or on sponge applicator (Do not use orange Suedes for application)
4.Work CQuartz Leather into the surface including all creases, and texture
5.Gently wipe off any excess within 2-3 minutes (may vary with temps and leather type)
6.May layer after 30 minutes from start of the first application
7.Touch dry after 10 min / Avoid water for 4 hours / Fully cured at 3 days

Give it a few days for it t set up and fully cure. You can add another coat if you like as well. I add multiple coats on high traffic areas. I posted videos and photos showing the hydrophobic properties of the coating on the seats of my car and others.

Pretty sure it just doesn’t bond. I followed those steps and after 12 hours the results on boat vinyl were subpar.

For my use and cost I will stick with gyeon leather coat

Back