Headlight plastic stone marred

legandrex

Reaction score
Good evening...looking at purchasing a used Jetta GLI and it appears that it drove through a sand storm on a few occasions. I am confident I can make the paint look acceptable with my Porter Cable but the headlights concern me. This is a 2016 model and they are clear, but when you run your nail or hand along the headlights you can feel the dings in the plastic. Can a professional wet sand them to the point where they are eliminated generally? Ballpark how much does this generally run? Thx

Good morning I have the same car and in AZ dust storms can do that. I use my GG6 and LC Orange with M205, works just okay.

Can a professional wet sand them to the point where they are eliminated generally? Ballpark how much does this generally run? Thx[/QUOTE]

3m sells a kit that has a couple of grades of sandpaper and polish with a pad and backing plate for $30 or so at the local auto parts center that works quite well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m far from an expert, but I’ll throw in my opinion anyway. :D

You say that you can feel the chips but they don’t really show on the lens. The thing you have to worry about is how much material do you have to remove to smooth out the pitting? By sanding the surface of the lens, you might be removing whatever anti-yellowing or UV coating that was there originally. You’d have to make sure that you apply some clear coat or hardy sealant to protect the plastic.

Back