PDA

View Full Version : Pre-purchase services

irvsmith
11-27-2018, 07:34 PM
My eBay browsing has found me looking at the childhood car of my Dad, a 1967 Pontiac Firebird 350. Now the cost is the primary barrier to taking this on now, not to mention that I can’t drive manual ;-), but another barrier is buying sight unseen. The latest one I have been watching is in Ohio.

I have heard of some companies who offer pre-purchase service but the ones I found seem to focus on the exterior condition and verifying the VIN numbers etc. It occurred to me that this group might have used such services and have some thoughts on the matter. Does anyone know of a company and what the ball park cost for a more thorough analysis (mechanical, brakes, etc) would cost?

I know this is probably a pipedream at the moment. I don’t have a garage to store it and I have two kids I will have to get through college but I love hearing the suggestions from this group.

Thanks for your thoughts and indulgence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mk9750
11-27-2018, 08:15 PM
I'm not familiar with the service you mention, but I live in Ohio, and if the car is anywhere close to me, I'd be willing to check it out for you. PM me some details if you're interested, and I'll see what I can do, if anything.

irvsmith
11-28-2018, 12:42 AM
Thank you. I only heard of it because I watched a video years ago on AMMONYC.com about a client having Larry Kosilla go check a car before he made the purchase. I know eBay has a service but again it seemed to be geared towards a superficial assessment. Anyway my understanding is that the car is at Harwood Motors in Mecodonia OH. I wouldn’t go there unless it is truly down the street because I think the likelihood that I would be able to afford the final bid is pretty low.

LSNAutoDetailing
11-28-2018, 01:18 AM
Best bet is to go and look yourself. Be prepared for transportation services should you pull the trigger.

Do you currently own classic cars and maintain them? There is a lot to think about..... :)

Please excuse the typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eldorado2k
11-28-2018, 02:47 AM
Time is limited.. When does the auction end? I’m assuming a couple of days max?
1st and most importantly, if you’re thinking about laying down a serious bid when the time comes, then you need to have had a phone conversation with the seller and you’ll be able to tell alot from how that phone call goes.
-Does the person seem honest?
-Is the seller knowledgeable about the vehicle he/she is selling?
-Is the seller hesitant to answer any of your questions? Or is he friendly and open?
-Are all your questions sufficiently answered?
-Does the seller sound knowledgeable about the proper steps to take once the sale takes place?
-Does the seller have the title in hand?
-Don’t forget how much a phone can do... You can ask for detailed pictures of the vin#, the pink slip, the odometer, underbody if you want to check for rust, etc.
If you’re interested and looking to make a serious bid, then there shouldn’t be any reason why the seller wouldn’t be more than happy to communicate with you. If he/she isn’t willing to be friendly and communicate, then you have your sign right there to step away from the situation.

I’ve never bought a car on Ebay, but I’ve come close.. And I wouldn’t do it unless good communication has been had. You can tell alot from a phone conversation.

mk9750
11-28-2018, 07:53 AM
Irv, Macedonia is about 45 minutes from my home. If you get serious about it, let me know. As Eldorado points out, the timing might not work out, but I could take a drive one evening, or perhaps Saturday.

I do agree, that if it isn't going to lead to anything, it's probably not worth me making the effort. But if it would be helpful, just let me know.

irvsmith
11-28-2018, 10:05 AM
Thanks everyone for your sage advice. I can call them but I think I should really just calm down and enjoy it from afar. I think it is more like a racing horse - looks beautiful but it is a lot of responsibility to maintain and house it safely.

mk9750
11-28-2018, 11:35 AM
I just checked out the auction - Nice vehicle! Didn't realize you were looking at such a high end show car.

Just like you're looking at the same car your dad had, I've always had my eye out for a '73 Cougar. Was my wife's first car, and every time we see a Mercury of any kind, I hear that longing sigh. Always wished I could surprise her. Found one at a car show last summer, fully restored, and they wanted $22,500 for it. I almost bit my tongue! So I'm in the same boat as you - Mostly it will only be a wish.

mdbenge
11-30-2018, 05:19 AM
Most pre-purchase inspections are nothing more than a quick walk around. I have looked into this several times and when you read what they actually do, it's not much more than that and I have yet to find one that will put any guarantee/warranty in place if they don't discover an issue.

I have purchased 6 different vehicles "sight unseen" and in each and every case the car was in much better condition than the seller portrayed it to be. Most recent purchase via cars.com was 2 months ago and the car was beyond immaculate. In fact as much of a perfectionist I am about my cars the previous owner may have been my brother from a different mother :laughing:

This one at it's heart is a used car and like all used car purchases you have to do your homework. IF you have someone look at it that you know and trust that also knows cars in their totality (carfax, engine, tires, wheels, drive-train, HVAC, lighting, infotainment systems, etc.), not just paint condition then it will probably work out. If it's someone you know who looks at it and the car has issues they don't find then it may, may, put the friendship in a strained condition. Some people will blame the "other" person, not saying anyone here would/does.

As much as I know about cars I still always take a friend with me who really knows engines, drive-trains, etc. when I do the walk-around, test-drive and inspection. This approach also gives you moral support and can add some sanity at the emotional point of the purchase! After all, to my way of thinking all car purchases eventually come down to an emotional decision point.

As far as most online purchasing options ala eBay, Cars.com, etc. there are in fact contract obligations on both sides of the purchase, so you can walk away. Not saying that's fun or easy but it is doable. Yeah it can also be expensive if you travel any distance but still cheaper than buying a vehicle and later finding major issues. BTW: any car, new or used will have something wrong with it, sometimes it's simple and inexpensive and in some cases it may be expensive. If you talk to anyone who has ever purchased a car (new or used) either directly from a friend, from a dealership or sight unseen they have all had some sort of issue(s).

IF you opt to buy this particular car (looks great on write-up, pics). or any car for that matter, take a very detailed checklist on EVERYTHING, everything from things like - do lights/turn-signals work, is weather stripping good condition, to the more subjective aspects like are the seats in good condition (what's good condition to us is likely much different than what is good to non-geekers). Then go down the checklist thoroughly and methodically. It is all too easy to get carried away with the process if you don't reign it in some (speaking from personal experience :eek:).

OP -- Good luck and I also want to say it sounds like you have priorities in order (kids college before cars).

yakky
11-30-2018, 07:47 PM
I've used SGS for doing pre purchase visual and drive inspections for newer cars and would recommend them without hesitation. Many car companies use them for lease return inspections. They have an objective approach and a detailed inspection report.

It has saved me time for flying out and costs. Possibly jail time for not laying a smackdown on some serious liars.