Applying CQuartz over a few weekends

Dale1990

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was able to do a minor paint correction and start applying CQuartz UK 3.0 this weekend but I ran out of time before I could get two coats on the whole car. I vastly underestimated how long this stuff takes to apply compared to the last product I used and wound up getting one coat on everything but the second coat on only the hood and roof before it got too late and too cold to continue. Unfortunately, I also had to take the car out and drive it so it's now "dirty" - not much but enough that I would need to wash it before doing anything.

So, the question: What do I need to do to get the car cleaned up enough to continue applying the remaining product? Is it even possible at this point, since everything will have cured before my next opportunity (the coming weekend)?

I was planning on doing a careful rinseless wash and just continuing on with applying the remaining coats. Should I follow the wash with an IPA wipedown or something else to make sure the wash doesn't leave traces behind? If the answer is polish it off and start over then I'll just leave it as-is and hope things work out better after winter.

Thanks!

I think you could wash with a product like Reset that leaves nothing behind and do and IPA wipe and you should be ok.

Hi all,

I was able to do a minor paint correction and start applying CQuartz UK 3.0 this weekend but I ran out of time before I could get two coats on the whole car. I vastly underestimated how long this stuff takes to apply compared to the last product I used and wound up getting one coat on everything but the second coat on only the hood and roof before it got too late and too cold to continue. Unfortunately, I also had to take the car out and drive it so it's now "dirty" - not much but enough that I would need to wash it before doing anything.

So, the question: What do I need to do to get the car cleaned up enough to continue applying the remaining product? Is it even possible at this point, since everything will have cured before my next opportunity (the coming weekend)?

I was planning on doing a careful rinseless wash and just continuing on with applying the remaining coats. Should I follow the wash with an IPA wipedown or something else to make sure the wash doesn't leave traces behind? If the answer is polish it off and start over then I'll just leave it as-is and hope things work out better after winter.

Thanks!

You are fine with one coat on the paint. If you decide to add another coat be sure to not wash the car for 1 week as recommended per the manufacturer to not harm the first layer. If you decide to add another coat then just wash it with a wash that has no waxes or gloss enhancers like Reset. Test an area with Eraser or IPA and see if that impacts the current layer on the paint although that should be fine.

Agreed. One coat will be fine. It “may” not last as long but there are sooo many variables it’s not a big deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you feel better getting a full 2 layers on, wait a few days after the first layer and, as said above, wash it and clean the paint well on those sections you want to continue on. Then lay down your second coat.

If, as your title says, you'll be waiting till this weekend it'll be ok to fully wash the first layer (IME).

I'm going through something very similar. I've used Cquartz classic several times in the past. The first time, the second coat caused a haze which you could see in just the right sun light. I polished it off and waited a week with the car sitting in the garage and then the 2nd coat was no problem. I followed this procedure from then on.

I am currently working on a car with CQUK 3.0. I tried the 2nd coat at 24 hours and it hazed. I polished it off and started over with one coat. Waited 1 week with the car in the garage and tried the 2nd coat. It hazed. I was told to wait 45 min between coats so I am going to polish one panel tonight and try that. Either way, I am just going to leave the one coat on the rest of the car but I want to know the proper 2nd coat wait time for future.

I would recommend you just try coating one side panel and get some good light at different angles to make sure it does not haze. If it does, it wiped off easily (done right away) with erasure. I could only see the haze with a big LED pointing at about a 30 degree angle and the viewing from the opposite side at about the same angle. I would have to get in just the right position to see it.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Shortly after posting I took a look at the rinseless wash I have and apparently I had forgotten that it was a wash-n-wax so I ordered some Reset which should be here later today. I'll probably give a wash and recoat a try tomorrow.

As far as hazing, I had some trouble buffing off the excess for the second coat on the two panels I did get to but I blamed it on the temp in the garage falling to the low 40*F range - ran out of fuel for the heater. We'll see what happens this time. I'm hoping to not have much trouble but if all else fails, I have one coat which should get me thru winter... hopefully.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Shortly after posting I took a look at the rinseless wash I have and apparently I had forgotten that it was a wash-n-wax so I ordered some Reset which should be here later today. I'll probably give a wash and recoat a try tomorrow.

As far as hazing, I had some trouble buffing off the excess for the second coat on the two panels I did get to but I blamed it on the temp in the garage falling to the low 40*F range - ran out of fuel for the heater. We'll see what happens this time. I'm hoping to not have much trouble but if all else fails, I have one coat which should get me thru winter... hopefully.

Thanks again!
I just did a set of wheels, VMR 710 black, with CQUK 3.
I final polished with Essence and the first coat was a breeze. The second coat flashed much quicker and was more difficult in the fact I had to move quicker.
No high spots on first coat and 2 small spots in the second I had to spot polish with Essence.
I did both inside at 74 degrees, 2 days apart.

I am thinking Essence flashes quicker into itself but can't remember seeing anything pertaining to this.
If it wouldn't have been for CarPro recommending 2 coats I would have left them alone.
This is also the first time I have used any CQuartz coating.

Just to follow up... I washed the car with Reset this morning and finished up the second coat this afternoon. There's a couple of high spots that I missed when buffing that are here to stay for awhile. Luckily, not in very visible locations.

This is my first time using CQuartz and it will be interesting to see how it holds up over winter. It looks pretty nice on application.

Try to update the thread in spring. I am curious since I am a fellow Wisconsin dweller.
It definitely made my wheels a richer black.

I just read my post and noticed a huge typo. It was suppose to read CQUK flashes quicker into itself.

Back