Searching for Paint Correction Solutions

ajfromdablvd

Reaction score
Hello everyone, and Happy New Year. Request advice to best remedy rock chips, Bird waste, road tar, and water spots. I've never detailed a vehicle. I have a 2013 Chevy Silverado, and I have at least a dozen rock chips from TX and HI roads that are constantly in repair. Should I take my vehicle to some sort of repair shop to fix the rock chips? What are your best suggestions for tar, hard water, and spots left from bird waste? Thanks in advance.

v/r

Anthony Jackson

Have to tell you, I had great luck with Dr. Colorchip. Paint matched perfectly, and is easy to use. I'd say most of the repairs looked great from two feet away or more. A few came out almost perfect.

A tad on the expensive side, but it's way cheaper than taking to to a repair shop.

If you go that route, if I can offer a suggestion - Inspect your vehicle carefully, and mark where every chip you want to repair is. I used shaving cream, but if I were to do it now, I'd probably use a light colored polish (I have a black car). Once you fill the chips in, it can be tough to find them again to do the next couple of steps.

Good luck!

Exactly what MK9750 said. Dr. Color chip. Fool-proof really.

In terms of hard water, etc. if you're not going to jump into machine polishing, etc. work with 3D Eraser Gel. Just know that it will strip any and all waxes and sealants off too so you'll want to reserve time to re-apply something. Given this is all new to you and again, perhaps aren't jumping into the machine world yet, get something easy like Beadmaker, spray-on / wipe off sealant. Opti-Seal is another that works great. Both will give you 60 day protection which isn't nearly as long as other products but it gives you speed and protection / ease of use until you get grounded on a long term approach.

I agree with going with Dr Colorchip for the rock chips. It’s pretty easy and the results are good.

As far as the other flaws, do you have a polisher? A good polisher would be a start point. Trying to correct paint by hand is not fun. After you decide on a polisher then we can give you more advice on pads and polishes to correct your defects.

I agree with going with Dr Colorchip for the rock chips. It’s pretty easy and the results are good.

As far as the other flaws, do you have a polisher? A good polisher would be a start point. Trying to correct paint by hand is not fun. After you decide on a polisher then we can give you more advice on pads and polishes to correct your defects.

THIS is advice that should be followed!

Thanks for the info! I don't have a polisher yet. A friend suggested using a Porter Cable brand. Any suggestions on a quality brand polisher?

v/r

Anthony Jackson

Thanks to everyone for the advice and help!

v/r

Anthony Jackson

I also suggest the Griots 6 inch polisher. It has more power than the Porter Cable. Buy at least 6 pads for cutting and 6 for finishing.

I have a porter cable. I love it. Plenty of power from my needs. Just be sure to get enought pads. Once you are proficient with regular pads you can get start getting fancy with different size backing plates and matching size pads
Im sure all duel actions are pretty much the same (in terms of application). Dont over think it.
My sister uses a harbor frieght polisher and has much success

I have a porter cable. I love it. Plenty of power from my needs. Just be sure to get enought pads. Once you are proficient with regular pads you can get start getting fancy with different size backing plates and matching size pads
Im sure all duel actions are pretty much the same (in terms of application). Dont over think it.
My sister uses a harbor frieght polisher and has much success

I also like the Porter Cable. The Griot's wasn't enough of an upgrade power or feature wise to warrant switching. Keep in mind that I have a Rupes Duetto, Flex 3401, and Makita 9237 available, and still use the 7424 more than the others.

Back