PDA

View Full Version : 3” polisher question

Pages : [1] 2

Coatingsarecrack
02-18-2019, 01:03 PM
Looking to get a 3” and put a 2” rotary backing plate with a Ro/Da adapter and an extension. Mary B had one she posted on Autopia forum that was set up with an Adam’s SKM. It can be done with the griots 3” but not fond of the reviews of it. Don’t want to fork out money for Rupes or flex as only doing 2-3 cars per year. A guy from Adams customer service told me it couldn’t but didn’t sound like he knew what he was talking about (no idea on threading). Has anyone bought a SK in last few months and can verify if it’s still 5/16 24 thread? Any other polishers recommendations or if someone’s done this set up with griots, any input would be appreciated

Thanks,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rangerbay
02-18-2019, 04:33 PM
I have the griots 3 inch, and I put the 2 inch backing plate (from ag). I love the little thing. Proper technique, and cuts and polishes just fine. You can use a fair amount of pressure, but keep the pad flat.

hmardown
02-18-2019, 06:51 PM
I have the griots 3 inch, and I put the 2 inch backing plate (from ag). I love the little thing. Proper technique, and cuts and polishes just fine. You can use a fair amount of pressure, but keep the pad flat.

X2. I just did the same exact thing. works great and it's a cheap way to be more flexible. having sports bumpers(plastic) on my pick-up & car it comes in handy. even just the three inch comes in handy for doing bumpers.
Carlo

fly07sti
02-18-2019, 08:49 PM
I have the Griots and the griots 2” BP. Works great on delicate trim and will polish with speed 5-6. It’s not the smoothest but it does work and is inexpensive.
I actually just did some sanding with it and polished out the sanding marks with it.

Calendyr
02-18-2019, 10:54 PM
Yep, Griot's 3" with the 2" backplate works really well. Did the convertion last year and was really happy about it. Used the 3" backplate on my Porter Cable machine, so now I have 2 5" machines (Rupes ES21 and Boss 15), 1 3" machine and 1 2" machine. Still need to find a solution for 1". I am not paying 900$ for a Nano... I might just buy a flexible shaft for my drill, and put the backplate on that. I think it would work well.

Coatingsarecrack
02-19-2019, 01:26 AM
Yep, Griot's 3" with the 2" backplate works really well. Did the convertion last year and was really happy about it. Used the 3" backplate on my Porter Cable machine, so now I have 2 5" machines (Rupes ES21 and Boss 15), 1 3" machine and 1 2" machine. Still need to find a solution for 1". I am not paying 900$ for a Nano... I might just buy a flexible shaft for my drill, and put the backplate on that. I think it would work well.

For 1 inch I was going to do nano triz. Then I just decided dremel and 1” backing plate. Buff daddy.com makes a shaft to backing plate but I’ve emailed and called and left message with no return. Awful customer service

Coatingsarecrack
02-19-2019, 01:28 AM
Can you get decent correction with the Griots? Need to do plastic piano black panel on back of mustang

VISITOR
02-19-2019, 02:03 AM
Can you get decent correction with the Griots? Need to do plastic piano black panel on back of mustang

head down to the GG HQ's (being that you live close by them) and try out the GG3 with the 2" conversion. i'm sure they would be more than happy to let you play with one...

Mike Phillips
02-19-2019, 08:03 AM
Interesting comments....

Me?

I love the Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher. I know I have more pictures of it in action on the Internet than anyone. I show it in all my classes for not only polishing pad but also polishing glass, wetsanding headlights and wetsanding paint.

The key is using THIN pads and don't have unrealistic expectations, which most people do.

:)

hmardown
02-19-2019, 08:20 AM

I just did my black panel. Used the griots 3” & 2” setup. I really didn’t have the right pads for the 3” so I did some with the 2”. I didn’t get every single scratch, but I’m happy with it.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190219/60064bd4c0b8fb9eaa9450f498ebfadf.jpg before
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190219/76fc73a02045f840b1e53296bfa7e47d.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190219/35081e0cc8ae3adf45ae94b04eb25efc.jpg after

hmardown
02-19-2019, 08:39 AM
coatsingsarecrack

I just found the post where I answered you. go to, What did you do today, in regards to detailing? and check out post #728 & # 729. hope this helps. I just ordered some more aggressive pads last night for the 2 & 3 inch face plate. it's nice using the smaller pads around the A pillars, doors & bumpers. it was a cheap solution for me because I already had the three inch setup. I don't know how bad your panel is but mine was pretty trashed. I'm not sure how much clear coat is on those panels. so I just made it look as good as I can without pushing it. I'm sure I'll be doing it again once I start putting some miles on the car. good luck
Carlo

hmardown
02-19-2019, 05:33 PM

I don't know why but I never thought of this. I can put my 2'' backing plate on my griots 3'' polisher ? and then I can transfer my 3'' backing plate to my porter cable 7424xp, is that correct ? I think I'd like the power of the porter cable using the 3'', rather then the 3'' griots polisher. great.
Carlo

PaulMys
02-19-2019, 06:57 PM
I don't know why but I never thought of this. I can put my 2'' backing plate on my griots 3'' polisher ? and then I can transfer my 3'' backing plate to my porter cable 7424xp, is that correct ? I think I'd like the power of the porter cable using the 3'', rather then the 3'' griots polisher. great.
Carlo

I use my PC as a 3". I think you'll like it. :)

Calendyr
02-19-2019, 07:53 PM
For 1 inch I was going to do nano triz. Then I just decided dremel and 1” backing plate. Buff daddy.com makes a shaft to backing plate but I’ve emailed and called and left message with no return. Awful customer service

I believe Buff Daddy is just one guy, so he might be overloaded or he might have missed your email. I contacted him once and he answered within minutes. You should try again.

Calendyr
02-19-2019, 07:59 PM
[QUOTE=Coatingsarecrack;1617828]Can you get decent correction with the Griots? Need to do plastic piano black panel on back of mustang

Well, it's a bit limited in terms for correction. The Griot's 3" machine only has a 4mm orbit, so you can't expect 21mm correction with it. But if you use something like a Meguiars Microfiber cutting disk on it, and an agressive compound, you can do good work if you take the time.