Pages : [1] 2 3 4

65Marauder
03-27-2019, 06:22 PM
Help!

FUNX650
03-27-2019, 07:05 PM
Time for a couple of heavy
applications of Meguiar’s M07.
Meguiars #7 Show Car Glaze is a final step auto glaze to enhanced the gloss prior to wax application. Get a show car shine with Meguiars #7 Show Car (https://www.autogeek.net/meg7showcarg.html)

This is a must read article:
The #7 Rub Down Technique by Mike Phillips (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-to-articles-by-mike-phillips/100613-7-rub-down-technique-mike-phillips.html)

Bob

65Marauder
03-28-2019, 12:50 AM
That looks like what I am looking for, instead of this bleached look (horrible results, why do they sell this?)

Setec Astronomy
03-28-2019, 05:06 AM
What did it look like before you used the wax? Hand or machine?

Mike Phillips
03-28-2019, 09:44 AM
Help!

That looks like what I am looking for, instead of this bleached look (horrible results, why do they sell this?)

Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax is a GREAT one-step cleaner wax and the very first Meguiar's product I used back in High School that led me down the path to where I'm at now.

It's not that the product isn't any good, it's either application method or the wrong product for the condition of the paint.

To tackle extremely oxidized paint with a one step cleaner/wax you use the product

HEAVY or WET

Those two terms in context mean

Use a LOT of product and work it INCREDIBILY WELL over a SMALL area of paint.

My guess is if I were there I could make the product work. That's called years of experience. Not bragging but I've buffed out hundreds of cars that look like yours by hand and machine and there's a certain level of expertise a person gets from repetition.

:)

Mike Phillips
03-28-2019, 09:46 AM
QUESTION

Did you get the paste version or the liquid version?

The liquid will work better and easier than the paste version for extremely oxidized paint because the solvents and oils can more easily seep into the dead, oxidized paint to do their job.

With a paste you have to PUSH the product harder into the paint.

So which did you get and I'll give you some tips and techniques to try again.

Also - roughly speaking, describe how you applied the product.

65Marauder
03-28-2019, 01:23 PM
This paint is 2-3 weeks old. That is not oxidation, that is what the cleaner wax did to the paint.

I used the liquid, following the instructions on the bottle.

FUNX650
03-28-2019, 01:49 PM
This paint is 2 weeks old. That is not oxidation, that is what the cleaner wax did to the paint.

I used the liquid, following the instructions on the bottle.
I don’t believe a two week old paint
job is quite ready (i.e.:cured enough)
to be subjected to an AIO/Cleaner-Wax.

On the other hand:
Meguiar’s M07, or M305 wouldn’t
have been as “destructive”, IMO.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/40B59555-F9AE-425C-91F3-3CCF6616DD95.jpeg

Subscribed.

Bob

65Marauder
03-28-2019, 01:58 PM
Is there anything I should do before using the 7?

FUNX650
03-28-2019, 02:07 PM
Is there anything I should do
before using the 7?
Try the 7 in a “Test Spot”.

{Worse case scenario: I hope it doesn’t
come down to being a respray...}

https://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/40B59555-F9AE-425C-91F3-3CCF6616DD95.jpeg

Bob

65Marauder
03-28-2019, 02:23 PM
I should note that first I used the 3 step “deep crystal” system, with similar results. I then did my best to remove it before trying the cleaner wax.

FUNX650
03-28-2019, 02:40 PM
I should note that first I used the 3 step “deep crystal” system, with similar results. I then did my best to remove it before trying the cleaner wax.
I can’t stress enough that:
A two week old paint job just can’t take the
kind of “treatment”...that a paint job with
~30 days of curing under-its-belt can take.

Bob

65Marauder
03-28-2019, 02:41 PM
I can’t imagine if I would have waited 2 more weeks the result would be much different.

Mike Phillips
03-28-2019, 02:53 PM
This paint is 2 weeks old.

Yeah.... you're not supposed to seal paint until after 30 days air cure.

WHEN you do seal the paint - you wouldn't use a CLEANER/wax because the paint is not dirty or oxidized.

You would use a pure wax or non-cleaning wax.

I have know idea why a cleaner/wax, a quality one at that would cause fresh paint to turn white unless the paint had not fully set-up and there was a chemical reaction. If this is what happened, it's still not the fault of the product. It was the wrong product for the job.

I probably have 2, 3, 4 articles on how to correctly take care of fresh paint.

Mike Phillips
03-28-2019, 03:09 PM
I can’t imagine if I would have waited 2 more weeks the result would be much different.

Could be but something catastrophic went wrong.

I would show this to your painter and see what they say, then get back to us.

You could also call Meguiar's and see what they say, my guess is they'll say fresh paint shouldn't be sealed until after 30 days air cure or longer. Or follow the recommendations of your painter.

I've never seen this before in my life.

:dunno: