Ceramic coating for city dwellers

392hemi

Reaction score
Wondering how city dwellers deal with a ceramic coating? I mean actual city folks, not living in outlying suburbs. My main concern is the minor scrapes and dings I incur from the inconsiderate drivers. Park far away? Someone will try to be funny and park squeezing you in. Parking on the street, dealing with daily construction dust/dirt and non stop "city fallout". I drive a lot too and often will use the touchless washes, which PNS holds up pretty well to.

Every 2 to 3 months I polish put scrapes from keys, backpacks, jackets all over my cars. Along with minor bumper scrapes and touch up paint. I then reapply my sealant. Thank god I've never been keyed, but passive aggressive people tend to leave carts next to the car or park so I enter from passenger side. I NEVER take up 2 spots either.

Now if I apply Cquartz UK, I'd have to buy a new bottle of 10ml every 2 to 3 months to reapply to polished parts.

Coupled with leaky pipes in a lot of underground garages and water leaks. I've dealt with this in NYC, Chicago and DC. This leaves waterspots which have not been too bad with PNS.

I guess my issue is, I literally put Cquartz UK in my basket every week or cancoat and end up not buying them.

Mainly due to needing a coating shampoo, a coating waterspot remover, a coating for the coating to prevent waterspots. Then glossifiers and other shampoos tend to stick to these coatings.

Living in the actual city, I have the Griots 21, PC and all kinds of tools. To find a place to use them and prepare takes too much coordination. I have to use a friend or family members place and drive the hour or 2 haha. Mind you I have another coating not sold here at home, Carpro Esseence, Carpro polishing pads but never used them.

I've perfected the waterless/rinselese wash and just feel the ceramic coating won't work for someone like me. Wondering if anyone else is out there that can relate or offer insight?

I work downtown a lot, I visit the city often and attend many activities in the city. I agree 100% with your assessment on the hazards and utter disregard for others property, therefore a coating isn't right for someone who's an " auto geek ". I've detailed quite a few cars from up north with the street parking permits that are absolutely hammered on the bumpers and it's just a way of life!

Adding those products just add a tiny layer of protection and yes if you wanna get rid of those tiny annoyances would have to polish off. Most likely minor scratches have gone through coating and into clear. If wanting to keep pristine your regimens sounds right. If using the two that way I’d use can coat. I use to work in the city (downtown Seattle). What I woulda tried if I still worked their is zipang from miyabi. It’s $500 for that and the base coat (ISM?). But if the self healing works for those minor corrections and could last a couple years would be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heaviest I would use in that situation would be CanCoat...after I made sure I could spot-correct in about 10 minutes with no blend issues w the CanCoat.

Even the self healing coatings that sound nice, I'm pretty sure they wont stand up to people leaning on your parked car, kicked up stones/salt from passing trucks peppering your paint, purses scraping down the side.

Their strength will, IMO, be focused on 'healing' things like the light towel marring that inevitably occurs of the course of regular washing and reducing the appearance of light scratches.

I'd be curious to see how a full PPF wrap would fare in heavy urban use. *Maybe* that could tough it out for a bit but when something truly consequential happens, that's gonna be even tougher to fix than a coated panel.

Thank you guys! I love my cars, but change them out to often, along with cost of PPF is not worth it to me.

Since I dont have as much time I'd love to detail anymore, I like quick and efficient products. I think Mike Phillip's says, Find something that works for you and use it often.

For me, to use a new product it would have to be easier and produce better results than my current regime. I'm heavily leaning on Cancoat, since it is easy for me to reapply in touch up areas.

I'll pickup cancoat shortly since CMX didnt seem to wow me. I'll probably get UK and apply it to my parents car that's outside 24/7.

Thank you guys! I love my cars, but change them out to often, along with cost of PPF is not worth it to me.

Since I dont have as much time I'd love to detail anymore, I like quick and efficient products. I think Mike Phillip's says, Find something that works for you and use it often.

For me, to use a new product it would have to be easier and produce better results than my current regime. I'm heavily leaning on Cancoat, since it is easy for me to reapply in touch up areas.

I'll pickup cancoat shortly since CMX didnt seem to wow me. I'll probably get UK and apply it to my parents car that's outside 24/7.

How about use Gyeon Primer Polish and CanCoat? And If you have a touch up to do you could use Primer Polish to correct it or make it look less noticeble until you have to do a major correction. It's like an AIO or jeweling polish and you have more options available from these as Carpro Essence and Britemax has one and Polish Angel Invicible Primer and a couple of others that AGO don't have. Just to get the thickest possible protection. Even if it's not gonna help to deep defects. But that it's not much you can do with those sadly. The thought is also it's quite easy to prep with these primer polishes for applying something like CanCoat. Leaved over night and if the paint is clean you can apply directly or a panel wipe product wipe down after recommended cure time for the primer. Since they are primer and if you only need to be useing that to polish. You have only the very little polishing oils in the primer polish to evaporate or will be easy to panel wipe product wipe down it. Cruzcarwash here also use Essence and Sonax PNS with great results.

You will be happy with CanCoat. Try versatile and forging product.

As Tony mentioned pairing it with Primer Polish is a great combo. Maintain with Cure or equipment and you will be set for quite some time.

Back