PDA

View Full Version : Wax and sealant left in cold garage during winter

E93to
05-10-2019, 07:31 PM
Hello

I was wondering whether wax and sealant being stored in cold garage during winter season would affect/damage them in a negative way.

Winter gets quite cold where I live (Toronto). Temperature is usually below 30 between December and March, and occasionally drops below 10.

Would it be okay to use these products?

I have Collinite 845 and Klasse High Gloss Sealant.

Thank you.

PaulMys
05-10-2019, 07:35 PM
Not ideal at all.

Most, if not all detailing products do not like to freeze.

Myself, I would not use them. You may get lucky, but why risk it?

In the future, grab those bottles and bring them into the house for the winter months.

E93to
05-10-2019, 07:39 PM
Not ideal at all.

Most, if not all detailing products do not like to freeze.

Myself, I would not use them. You may get lucky, but why risk it?

In the future, grab those bottles and bring them into the house for the winter months.

Hello

Thanks for the reply.

Is there a way to tell that those products have gone bad?

Also, what would be the risk of using them if they had gone bad?

It is kind of difficult for me to bring these inside as I have OCD/germaphobia and I would have to clean these bottles... Cleaning up after car wash usually takes longer than the car wash itself.

Thank you.

PaulMys
05-10-2019, 07:46 PM
The 845 is usually in a semi-solid form below like 70 degrees.

I'm not a chemist, but I do not think it would be ideal for it to actually freeze solid.

As for risk, the only risk might be less that optimum performance, difficult removal, or both.

E93to
05-10-2019, 07:54 PM
The 845 is usually in a semi-solid form below like 70 degrees.

I'm not a chemist, but I do not think it would be ideal for it to actually freeze solid.

As for risk, the only risk might be less that optimum performance, difficult removal, or both.

Thank you

I will give them a try and see how it goes. If anyone's curious, I'll report back to this thread with results

PaulMys
05-10-2019, 07:55 PM
Thank you

I will give them a try and see how it goes. If anyone's curious, I'll report back to this thread with results

Good luck, and please do!

luvmyrv
05-10-2019, 08:45 PM
If you were to email Collinite and run it by them, they will reply to your email. They are very good that way. They would have the best answer for you.

PaulMys
05-10-2019, 08:52 PM
If you were to email Collinite and run it by them, they will reply to your email. They are very good that way. They would have the best answer for you.

I actually just went and pulled my bottle of 845 out of my product bag.

It states "Store in a dry place away from heat, flames, or freezing conditions."

mrq0604
05-10-2019, 09:20 PM

Thank you. Will email them to ask how cold weather could have affected the product

mrq0604
05-11-2019, 07:14 PM
Applied Klasse sealant without issue. It was in nice milky/oily texture like last time I used it. Buffing off didn't seem harder than before (Klasse is already difficult to remove after hazing). Car looks great although longevity remains to be seen.

Collinite was in liquid form. But the temp in Toronto was 50 today. Didn't apply it today.

PaulMys
05-11-2019, 07:25 PM
Applied Klasse sealant without issue. It was in nice milky/oily texture like last time I used it. Buffing off didn't seem harder than before (Klasse is already difficult to remove after hazing). Car looks great although longevity remains to be seen.

Collinite was in liquid form. But the temp in Toronto was 50 today. Didn't apply it today.

Glad to hear it.

SWETM
05-12-2019, 04:04 AM
With those 2 products I think you have a lot of solvents in them. That's makes the a better to lowering the freezing point some. If the product has separated and when you shake it up. And it's separate fast again I would not use them or at least try it on something that you can see if it works as useally. If it looks and holds together as before I think that it's okay to use it. Maybe pour out a little of it in your hand with nitrile gloves on and feel if it's smooth and no lumbs or anything unusual behaving. If so I would don't use it.

mrq0604
05-12-2019, 06:12 PM
With those 2 products I think you have a lot of solvents in them. That's makes the a better to lowering the freezing point some. If the product has separated and when you shake it up. And it's separate fast again I would not use them or at least try it on something that you can see if it works as useally. If it looks and holds together as before I think that it's okay to use it. Maybe pour out a little of it in your hand with nitrile gloves on and feel if it's smooth and no lumbs or anything unusual behaving. If so I would don't use it.

Thank you

Klasse had smooth, oily and creamy texture.

mrq0604
05-13-2019, 07:22 AM
Email from Collinite:

If the product is not severely discolored and is shaking back to a semi-liquid state or gel, it is probably fine. If it appears that the clear oils are completely separated from the wax, I would discard it.