PDA

View Full Version : Removing "OPW" Other people's wax

TMQ
05-14-2019, 06:17 PM
Have a big detail coming up.

Previous shop left a ton of compound all over. It's dried and hard.

Any of you have a trick up your sleeve? For easy removal?

Tom

Dr Oldz
05-14-2019, 06:41 PM
If it’s on plastic trim, I like this....

Mothers Back to Black Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner, best car wax remover plastic trim (https://www.autogeek.net/best-car-wax-remover-plastic-trim.html)

If it’s on paintwork, I spray with a waterless wash to soften up and use a detailing brush. These work well and have a handy rubber end for cracks and crevasses....

Mothers Detail Brush Set cleans crevices and creases inside your car. Mother Detail Brush Set includes 2 small brushes. (https://www.autogeek.net/mothers-detail-brush-set.html)

If it’s really dried on, some waterless wash and careful use of a plastic razor blade may be required.

TMQ
05-14-2019, 06:50 PM
Thanks Dr. Oldz...

Hummm...Thinking, On paint work---waterless wash and maybe a light, damp compound to cut?

Tom

SWETM
05-15-2019, 06:38 AM
A thought is to use gtechnic panel wipe. It's solvents is very a like as in polishes. And sometimes you can have luck that the same desolves with the same kind of product. I would not take a polisher on it if I was not certain of getting all off that has been able to stuck on the old compound. If the wash you useing softening it up maybe it can be polished off. But I would do it with more amount of polish than useally. You could apply the polish on a small section and then gently wipe it off after dwelling some time both by hand. The aggitations a polisher does is extreme compared to be wiping or lightly aggitate it with a brush. That's what I would be afraid of if makeing an even more mess than necessary.

Mike Phillips
05-15-2019, 06:54 AM
On paint work---

The other shop left compound ON the paint? As in on the major body panels?

Wow - not a good indicator of their mindset. :dunno:

I hope the owner of the car you're working on never takes it back to them. Was this a,

Body shop?
Detail shop?
Dealership?

waterless wash and maybe a light, damp compound to cut?

Pro grade compounds and polishes are water soluble - so getting the car really wet and washing it or scrubbing the body panels should loosen and remove the old compound. Time is your friend, that is letting water do it's thing - soaking into the compound and softening it.

Anything not removed from washing will come off when you compound or even polish the paint.

What is this car?

:)

TMQ
05-15-2019, 08:23 PM
Meant on paint edges, hood edge, door and door jam edge, front and rear fender edge, etc. from the body shop.

Not on the molding...

Tried the rinseless wash. Took some off. Took forever and ever!

Got impatient---broke out the 50% Isopropyl Alcohol. Bingo....came off with a bit of elbow grease, not much.

1972 Avanti II

Will finish it off tomorrow.

A peek...

Hold for a pic.

Tom

TMQ
05-15-2019, 08:25 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMQ
05-15-2019, 08:28 PM
Pictures above is right after the rinseless wash.

Up close...a real mess. Will post more after I finish up the car tomorrow.

Tom

Eric@CherryOnTop
05-15-2019, 08:55 PM
STEAMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!! :-p

acuRAS82
05-15-2019, 09:16 PM
So was it compound really, or wax?

TMQ
05-16-2019, 03:29 AM
Compound...

Was wet sanded and compounded at body shop.

Waited a month or so, came to me.

Even tho it's called, "OPW" Other people's wax, the concept is that someone left a serious mess to clean up.

Tom