PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Opti-Bond still a relevant tire dressing?

Pages : [1] 2

JJH
06-04-2019, 08:42 PM
5+ years ago when I was detailing more regularly, Optimum Opti-Bond was a crowd favorite for durable, easy to apply tire dressings. Things have really changed this past couple of years with the prominence of Si02 products and such, so I want to make sure that it's still a good product to use and that there aren't better cost effective alternatives.

Should I be looking elsewhere?

Thanks in advance!

lane5515
06-04-2019, 08:45 PM
Opti-Bond 1:1 is what I use. I've tried several others but always go back to it.

FUNX650
06-04-2019, 09:09 PM
5+ years ago when I was detailing
more regularly, Optimum Opti-Bond
was a crowd favorite for durable,
easy to apply tire dressings.

...I want to make sure that it's still
a good product to use...

IMO:
Yes, it’s still a good product to use.

Bob

derass
06-05-2019, 01:40 AM
I've been meaning to try this. How do you guys like to apply it? Straight, with a simple foam applicator?

JJH
06-05-2019, 05:29 AM
I've been meaning to try this. How do you guys like to apply it? Straight, with a simple foam applicator?

I've always applied it straight with a foam applicator. I know that some prefer the 1:1 product:water dilution and to use an airgun though.

yakky
06-05-2019, 06:01 AM
Not sure it was a favorite, more of another product that got on the hype train. The best was the silly spray gun when a simple tire swipe was less work.

I tried hard to like the stuff, and at the time was drinking the optimum Kool aid. The stuff flat out sucks. Low durability, low shine and it doesn't crawl.

expdetailing
06-05-2019, 07:44 AM
I just bought a bottle of it thinking I was buying CarPro PERL. For some reason, I equate CarPro & Optimum in my mind, like Griots & Megiuars but far, far more mistakable in my mind.

Desertnate
06-05-2019, 07:48 AM
I'm not a fan of Optimum Opti-Bond tire gel either.

I find it's easy to apply and I actually like the look after only applying one coat and letting it dry. However, it is not very durable. In the dry it doesn't last as long as another, much cheaper product I've used and any contact with moisture or rain will rinse it right off your tires.

swanicyouth
06-05-2019, 10:57 AM
It’s ok. I went through a bottle of it. Kinda greasy. Pretty much all “dressings” last 2 rain drops IME.

Desertnate
06-05-2019, 12:06 PM
I found Duragloss 253 to actually hold up pretty well. If exposed to rain for several days or driven on a long trip in pouring rain it would certainly diminish, but would still be noticeably on the tire. Far more durable than Opti-Bond.

Calendyr
06-05-2019, 12:44 PM
I started using Optimum Tire Coating and so far I like it. I dream of a day where every client of mine decides to buy that upgrade ;)

For my personal vehicles, coating is the only way for me.

Finick
06-05-2019, 01:34 PM
It’s ok. I went through a bottle of it. Kinda greasy. Pretty much all “dressings” last 2 rain drops IME.

You get two rain drops? You lucky son of a gun [emoji19] I barely even make it just one.

To the OP: I think all water based dressing will be about as durable as each other. So I just use the one that smells the best to me (VRP) and apply it more often now. I’m still trying to get the optimum tire coating to work out for me, but haven’t had any luck as of yet.

Hyper dressing, PERL, and VRP all look and last the same imo. They just smell different. Hyper dressing and VRP smell so good it makes me wanna eat them. PERL smells like putrid garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rsurfer
06-05-2019, 01:53 PM
I started using Optimum Tire Coating and so far I like it. I dream of a day where every client of mine decides to buy that upgrade ;)

For my personal vehicles, coating is the only way for me.

Do you know how it compares to Tuf shine? Cost, ease of use and durability?

Calendyr
06-05-2019, 03:16 PM
Do you know how it compares to Tuf shine? Cost, ease of use and durability?

I have never used Tuf shine so I cannot compare. OTC is very easy to use. Just use a tire applicator and spread it. Takes about 30 seconds to do a tire. The hard part is always the prep, especially if silicon dressing was used. So far I have had 2 customers who I sold the coating job to and I could not do the tires. The last one had Armor All Gel on his tire... used Meguiar's Non-Acid Wheel cleaner at 3:1 4 times on them and could not remove it. Then I pulled out the heavy gun: Mineral Spirit on a cotton rag... again, cleaned it twice and it looked and felt just like it did because started working on the wheel. I am guessing the other client i had to abort on had the same dressing on...

But for all the other tires, just clean well and apply. Very easy.

As far as durability, I don't know. Just started using the product so I have no reference. I did a double layer coat on the wheels of my work van. So I will be able to monitor it. It's been a week now and the van has not been washed since application. I did a full polishing and application of Crystal Serum Light so tomorrow is the first day I can wash it. I don't expect it to have failed by then :)

I think Yvan Lacroix mentionned 6 to 12 months of durability. Probably very similar to the other coatings.

In terms of cost, I think it's pretty good. A bottle cost me 21 CAN$ and you can barelly notice a change in the level of liquid in the bottle after doing a set of wheels. I am guessing I can do like 20 vehicles with 1 bottle.... so cost wise, it's great.

Bobby B.
06-05-2019, 03:30 PM
Yes, the Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel is still a very popular tire dressing.

Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel, Tire gel protectant, OPT Tire Dressing Gel, protect tires, optibond tire gel (https://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-bond-tire-gel-32oz.html)