303 stained my headlamps?

IceQube

Reaction score
I sprayed and buffed some 303 on my headlamps and now there's permanent white residue stuck in the lamps. I can't scrub it out for the life of me. I even tried putting some PlastX polish on an applicator pad and scrubbing the surface but nothing is working. It's nighttime now, so I'll upload pictures in the morning.

Which 303 product are we talking about here?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

303 protectant.

60e99ec28eaef732d160f9003b6d3d15.jpg
30d038bb15fb62da2f7e24630800a5ca.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quick question...what made you use THAT product for this

I read about people using 303 on plastics including taillamps and headlamps with no issues except only short term protection, but I have no issues with reapplying every few weeks. I read on the 303 website that a police department applies it to their fleet cars' lamps.

I sprayed and buffed some 303 on my headlamps and now there's permanent white residue stuck in the lamps. I can't scrub it out for the life of me. I even tried putting some PlastX polish on an applicator pad and scrubbing the surface but nothing is working. It's nighttime now, so I'll upload pictures in the morning.

How did you prep before applying 303? They look like some bad scratches which 303 should not do.

Those scratches weren't there before the application of 303. What ended up happening was that the haze 303 left was bad enough to make me replace the entire lamp. I had the old lamp sitting with the lens down on a work table so I could extract the bulbs and ballasts. That's what created the scratches.

Those scratches weren't there before the application of 303. What ended up happening was that the haze 303 left was bad enough to make me replace the entire lamp. I had the old lamp sitting with the lens down on a work table so I could extract the bulbs and ballasts. That's what created the scratches.

Why did you not wet sand, which would have removed the scratches, 303 and old OEM UV protectant?

Those lamps are not cheap.

Hopefully this doesn't go south, but now that I'm on our works computer with a real screen, are we to believe that all those scratches were caused by 303 protectant? Seriously? Also, I know its "water under the bridge" at this point, but why didn't you consider a headlight resto kit, like the one from Griot's Garage for instance? Also, going on the cheap and short term, bug spray with DEET also works in a pinch:idea:

I said stained, not scratched.

I already tried PlastX polish which is much better than bug spray.

I don't see the value in cheapening out on equipment that can possibly save my life, someone else's life, or both.

I don’t follow this.

Start over please

His pics are of the lenses he said the 303 hazed up. He replaced the entire lenses and scratched up the old ones on his work bench removing the bulbs and ballasts.

Still weird that the 303 hazed up the lenses, IMO. But I don't have any reason to believe that it didn't if he's posting it.

Just me, but I have always waxed my lenses with my LSP (Collinite 845/476) and they still look brand spanking new 7 years later.

I want to try Optimum UV protectant wax, does anyone have any experience? I just don't want a repeat of the 303 fiasco. I'm currently using Meguiars waterless wash and wax on the new headlamps and it hasn't caused any issues but it also doesn't have anything for UV.

I want to try Optimum UV protectant wax, does anyone have any experience? I just don't want a repeat of the 303 fiasco. I'm currently using Meguiars waterless wash and wax on the new headlamps and it hasn't caused any issues but it also doesn't have anything for UV.

303 has UV protection.

And it also stained both my lamps, one worse than the other.

And whether it has any UV protection is questionable. I sent a bottle out to someone with a UV meter and he noted that 303 blocked no UV, while regular sunscreen significantly reduced UV transmission.

Optimum Car Wax on the lenses would be
a great alternative to both 303AP and
Meguiar’s Waterless Wash & Wax, IMO.

Bob

And it also stained both my lamps, one worse than the other.

And whether it has any UV protection is questionable. I sent a bottle out to someone with a UV meter and he noted that 303 blocked no UV, while regular sunscreen significantly reduced UV transmission.

Maybe sunscreen will protect your new lamp.

Quick question ... what was the surface temp of the lenses when you applied the 303, ie. hot, warm, cold ? You never want to apply anything to a surface that is not cool to the touch. A call to Gold Eagle (parent co. of 303) might be in order as well.

Back