Prefer to use soap or quick detailer for claying?

JJH

Reaction score
I recently watched this detailing video from Chicago Auto Pros (YouTube) and rather than using quick detailer or clay bar lube when claying, they just used a foam cannon with car wash soap. Does anyone else do this? Looks more efficient than using QD.

Thanks!

I use soap and never had any problems. I rinse out my foam gun after every wash of any residual soap. I take those "rinse outs" and collect it in a separate container.

I then take my container of soapy water rinse outs and mix up a bucket of soapy water. I grab my wash mitt and soap up a section to clay or nanoskin. Using the 2BM, it's like a second wash.

A full and complete fresh water rinse down and dry then set to machining!

Cheap and efficient.

I've used a GG synth clay bar with soap and with quick detailer and prefer the quick detailer. I felt that the soap was so lubey that it wasn't allowing the bar to actually do its job. I definitely wouldn't try it with regular clay as I'd be afraid of it slipping out of my hands and onto the ground.

Clay Magic Blue, Fine Grade or Nanoskin (AS-009) AutoScrub 12" x 12" Fine Grade Towel with ONR is what I use.

Claying paint with soap wont leave it nice and glossy like quick detailer. If u use soap u must polish after IMO. You're supposed to polish anyway but especially if you use soap.

QD mostly but on some vertrical panel, this thing stick nicely, doesn't drip.

61IsU3lCKnL._SL1000_.jpg

Griots synthetic clay and speed shine. Clayed a new 2019 metallic black Subaru SUV and left no marring. Was very surprised. Also tried speed shine with regular clay. For me, won’t be trying anything else as the SC with SS was a terrific combo for me on 2 black vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yesterday I had two Escalades to detail. The first one I did my normal QD and nanoskin. Then I remembered. I wanted to try it with car soap. So the second one I washed and then did panel by panel with soap and nanoskin. This seemed to me much quickly and I had great results. It was black as well. I didn’t notice any marring with this method. I plan to switch to the soap method. It saves on QD and is faster

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Griots synthetic clay and speed shine. Clayed a new 2019 metallic black Subaru SUV and left no marring. Was very surprised. Also tried speed shine with regular clay. For me, won’t be trying anything else as the SC with SS was a terrific combo for me on 2 black vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. Griots Speed Shine is the only clay lube I have used for the past 18 years. No need to try anything else.

I use my car wash solution to speed things up and clay as I'm washing the car. I've used QD's in the past, but found I actually like using the wash solution better.

I recently watched this detailing video from Chicago Auto Pros (YouTube) and rather than using quick detailer or clay bar lube when claying, they just used a foam cannon with car wash soap. Does anyone else do this? Looks more efficient than using QD.

Soapy water and a clay mitt. IMO Mitts are more effective, safer, easier to use and last longer. Flood the area with soapy water, light touches, continued flooding and cleaning of the mitt, etc. and viola. In terms of Foam Canons, IMO they are a waste other than the fun factor. I've yet to see a video showing they clean better and in areas where temps get remotely warm and air dry I'm not inclined to let it dry on the car as it will.

Back