Masking for Iron-X

Serenitynow

Reaction score
Hi all..
I got some products this week to start cleaning my black, 2010 Nissan Frontier. It is dirtier now than it ever has been. I'm hoping to do what I can with the products I got this weekend.

I do have a question first though. I bought a bottle of Iron-X. I understand its purpose and procedure for use. However, I've seen a couple things on the interweb that suggest to mask off the wheel brake calipers and rotors before using this product.

Is it common practice to do this ? I haven't really noticed anybody here mentioning this when using Iron-X.

Thanks in advance and sorry about the newb question.

I just don’t spray those parts on purpose but if a little bit gets there I’m not worried about it.

I have never done this, and I have had zero problems.

That said, I do try to only hit my targeted areas and avoid heavy spraying on those I don't.

JMO.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Just try to avoid soaking the brake components with it. If you want to really blast your rims with it then maybe, but I myself have not experienced any issues in this regard.

Spray everything. Don't let it dry on the surface. Stop worrying about it so much. You'll be just fine. Don't believe everything you hear on the internet.

Ok guys. Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try to start on my truck either this evening or tomorrow evening. Weather permitting of course.

what about plastic trim and glass? same idea to avoid it, but a little overspray doesn't hurt? I also have a new bottle of iron-x and i'm a little nervous to use it.

I have never considered the need to tape anything before using a ferrous removing product. I have a variable nozzle on my ferrous spray bottle and narrow it down for wheels. I try to avoid the rotors when getting the barrels and spoke pattern.

Like BSoares said above, I've been "sloppy" sometimes and haven't had any problems whatsoever.

I spray it somewhat liberally on the paint and never worry about trims or glass.

A good, thorough flush rinse of all areas after and I'm good.

Don't fret over using it, Belo. Just don't let it dry and give it a good rinse afterwards. It's easy stuff.

Its the bare metal calipers that can change to a greenish color, but if you scrub the green film with your barrel cleaning brush it comes off. It doesn't really rinse off well without that agitation.

Back