Just a random thought about Cancoat vs Mc Kees 37 Paint coating..

Marc Hufnagel

Reaction score
I see CC comes with multimple sprayer heads that must be flushed or they will clog up with cured material - but the McKees only comes with the one sprayer? I see both are claimed to do multiple vehicles with their respective containers.

I see CC comes with multimple sprayer heads that must be flushed or they will clog up with cured material - but the McKees only comes with the one sprayer? I see both are claimed to do multiple vehicles with their respective containers.

You need to clean it super well with McKee's or it will also be trash by next time you need to use it. Even doing that it might get clogged up. But with McKee's there's a different concern. If you don't use the whole bottle (enough for 5 cars or so) in about 2 months, the product will be partially or totally cured in the bottle so it's not usable anyways. With McKee's coating you either use it all up fast or you lose it.

I bought some extra small spray bottles from CarPro - hoping for multi use - but if the sprayers clog they were cheap enough to throw away.....

Rinse and flush hot water through the CanCoat sprayer. Mine lasted a very long time doing this after every use.

Thanks for the insight, it just had me thinking about it after watching some videos.

How long does CanCoat last after the first use? How many mid-size sedans can be coated with one can?

So far I've used CanCoat on a midsized SUV and applied three coates (not all at once) to a GTI. I still have about 1/4 of the can left.

My can is now a little over a year old and everything seems to be fine. After each use I remove the spray head and put the metal lid back on the can to keep things air tight. I'm not expecting any issues when I use it again in about two weeks.

Do any of you apply two coats of CanCoat for coverage, or just one? Same question for Mckees or PBL?

Do any of you apply two coats of CanCoat for coverage, or just one? Same question for Mckees or PBL?

One coat is fine with CanCoat. Two coats will work as well according to Jeff from Gyeon. It is personal preference. As far as PBL, 1 is recommended. I have read one person who did two. I did 1 and it was good enough.

I only used one coat at a time. However, on the last application I applied one coat and then about seven months later I applied a second coat in order to get me through the winter and add a little protection. Worked out just fine.

I only used one coat at a time. However, on the last application I applied one coat and then about seven months later I applied a second coat in order to get me through the winter and add a little protection. Worked out just fine.

Did you use a prep polish prior to the second coat at 7 months? Iron Remover? Prep spray alone? Just a simple wash with no decon/prep?

I’m almost done asking questions, and I appreciate the responses!

One coat is fine with CanCoat. Two coats will work as well according to Jeff from Gyeon. It is personal preference. As far as PBL, 1 is recommended. I have read one person who did two. I did 1 and it was good enough.

Thanks Guz! I ask because I don’t trust myself with coatings yet. I always feel like I’m missing an area or doing some passes while the applicator is no longer holding wet product (this on wheel, window and headlight coatings... haven’t formally done paint coatings yet).

CanCoat I’m a bit less worried about as the coating lites usually are easier and flash more slowly.

I see CC comes with multiple sprayer heads that must be flushed or they will clog up with cured material - but the McKees only comes with the one sprayer? I see both are claimed to do multiple vehicles with their respective containers.

I've not used McKee's v2 in a long while. I have a never opened spray bottle still that is just as full when originally delivered and seems fine when I shake it. I do also have some leftover from other bottle and I don't use nor did I ever use their spray head. I use empty CarPro or GYEON dropper bottles in 50ml size. You can buy empty ones online but for me I simply re-use them as I do customer vehicles. I have an entire tote of empty dropper bottles, caps, lids, spray bottles and spray heads for a variety of products. Never throw them out as they are reusable and come in very handy.

Lastly, I do use another detailing sites empty spray bottles for my CanCoat applications. They are like $2per if that and well worth it. I don't even attempt to clean or reuse them, once I'm done I just pour the remaining Can Coat back into their original can and toss the used sprayers out.

Thanks Guz! I ask because I don’t trust myself with coatings yet. I always feel like I’m missing an area or doing some passes while the applicator is no longer holding wet product (this on wheel, window and headlight coatings... haven’t formally done paint coatings yet).

CanCoat I’m a bit less worried about as the coating lites usually are easier and flash more slowly.
Just use two towels minimum then you'll be good. If in case you really missed it, just apply the paint coating on top of the high spot so it reactivates then you can easily wipe away.

Sent from my ASUS_X017DA using Tapatalk

Back