PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Film On Car

xstatic
01-09-2020, 01:40 PM
Hi All,

I've been doing a lot of research with regards to detailing. I've kept my car pretty clean. I would like to wash my grandmother's car but would like some tips. It's an 05 Sentra and probably hasn't had a real hand wash in years, if ever. She maybe went through an auto wash 5 months ago and it sits outside day and night but not under trees.

It has a heavy road/environmental film over the entire car and I'm looking for the least aggressive way to try to get this film off. I will attach pictures but it may not do it justice. I was thinking about using a citrus degreaser @ 10:1 ratio with a couple drops of car soap and go panel by panel wiping and rinsing right after, then hand wash the entire car. Then eventually clay, polish, etc..

Please let me know what methods/products you guys may suggest to remove the film for a car that hasn't been hand washed in forever.

Thank you so much!

FUNX650
01-09-2020, 11:13 PM
I was thinking about using a citrus degreaser
@ 10:1 ratio with a couple drops of car soap
and go panel by panel wiping and rinsing right
after, then hand wash the entire car.

Then eventually clay, polish, etc..

Please let me know what methods/products
you guys may suggest to remove the film for
a car that hasn't been hand washed in forever.

•That’s what I do—almost to the letter.
-Only difference (maybe) is that I roll
with P21S’ TAW @1:10.

Bob

Rsurfer
01-10-2020, 12:46 AM
Hi All,

I've been doing a lot of research with regards to detailing. I've kept my car pretty clean. I would like to wash my grandmother's car but would like some tips. It's an 05 Sentra and probably hasn't had a real hand wash in years, if ever. She maybe went through an auto wash 5 months ago and it sits outside day and night but not under trees.

It has a heavy road/environmental film over the entire car and I'm looking for the least aggressive way to try to get this film off. I will attach pictures but it may not do it justice. I was thinking about using a citrus degreaser @ 10:1 ratio with a couple drops of car soap and go panel by panel wiping and rinsing right after, then hand wash the entire car. Then eventually clay, polish, etc..

Please let me know what methods/products you guys may suggest to remove the film for a car that hasn't been hand washed in forever.

Thank you so much!

Sounds like a plan. Don't be to concened about removing all the film as claying and polishing will take care of that problem.

Coatingsarecrack
01-10-2020, 04:36 AM
Yeah degreaser or Apc. Start 10-1 and go heavier if that doesnt work. If you have foam cannon spray and let dwell couple of minutes.

Look into griots surface prep soap also. Its made to remove road film waxes and sealants exposing bare paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ifadey
01-10-2020, 04:52 AM
Any degreaser or APC can remove film but you need to be careful to not let it dry on paint.
Other option is to use non pH neutral soap.
Another option is to use soap which contain abrasives like Meguiar's Wash Plus or Sonax Wash & Polish.