PDA

View Full Version : Body Shop Left Buffer Marks

Pages : [1] 2

Konnekt1
03-02-2020, 03:36 PM
So I had to get a door replaced on my 2019 Silverado.

Brought it in got the door change fender and back door blended to match. Got the truck back on a cloudy day every thing looked good.

Used my iPhone light later that night and could see swirl marks from a buffer all over the door. In the sun from an angle same thing. I know the pictures aren't great and its dusty at work right now.

Is there any way to fix this with like a light to medium polish and a DA, or should I bring it back to them and have them fix it.

I have used this body shop for years and never had a problem with them.

Thanks

:)

Rsurfer
03-02-2020, 03:52 PM
Is there any way to fix this with like a light to medium polish and a DA, or should I bring it back to them and have them fix it.

I would fix it myself rather then having to take it back and getting body shop dust and grime all over your ride.

Use a finishing polish with your DA.

Konnekt1
03-02-2020, 04:05 PM
I have CG V36 and V38 will that work? I have other little blemishes so I was going to hit the whole truck with both then put a glaze on for now until I can actually wax that door. Which disc should I use for that?

DBAILEY
03-02-2020, 04:07 PM
Yes, they would work. You should be able to remove them with a white polishing pad.

Konnekt1
03-02-2020, 04:15 PM
Cool I’ve never actually used a glaze. How long will that hold up because I won’t be able to wax until around may.

Mike Phillips
03-02-2020, 04:36 PM

I see this body shop problem a LOT in the 18 years I've been answering car detailing questions online as well as even longer in the real world. Here's my normal answer.

If the shop couldn't do it right the first time? What's changed?

Do they have a new guy?
A new tool?
A better product?

If nothing has changed - they won't be able to fix it. And in most cases, nothing is going to change. They will just re-buff and then apply some kind of glaze hoping you'll be happy and go away.

I have CG V36 and V38 will that work?

I would get something different.

I see a lot of issues brought up about micro-marring when using certain brands of products on dark colored paints. These are two that come up a lot.

Abrasive Technology - THE most important factor when it comes to polishing paint (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/2018-new-car-detailing-how-to-article-by-mike-phillips/120326-abrasive-technology-most-important-factor-when-comes-polishing-paint.html)

And - if a product isn't working on dark colored cars - it isn't working on light colored cars either - it's just harder for your eyes to see the micro-marring on light colored cars.

:)

Konnekt1
03-02-2020, 06:13 PM
Would would you recommend use and do to fix this problem my self?

PaulMys
03-02-2020, 06:21 PM
What DA machine do you have?

What pads?

Konnekt1
03-02-2020, 06:28 PM
The torqx with the chemical guys pads is what I have at the house.

PaulMys
03-02-2020, 06:37 PM
Grab some Meg's 105/205 or Griot's correcting creams if you can find them.

Should do the trick.

(Simplest answer I can give you without going insane with product recommendations). :)

Konnekt1
03-02-2020, 06:40 PM
Grab some Meg's 105/205 or Griot's correcting creams if you can find them.

Should do the trick.

(Simplest answer I can give you without going insane with product recommendations). :)

All good lol so with the white light pad for both?

PaulMys
03-02-2020, 06:55 PM
All good lol so with the white light pad for both?

Least aggressive combo of pad/product first.

Always do a test spot starting with the lightest approach.

Konnekt1
03-02-2020, 07:18 PM
So I’ll try the 205 first and see what happens. Also what ever I use should I do the entire vehicle?

PaulMys
03-02-2020, 07:24 PM
So I’ll try the 205 first and see what happens. Also what ever I use should I do the entire vehicle?

I would just correct the areas that are affected with your least aggressive method to start with.

If they look better than the remaining uncorrected areas, then chances are you might only need something lighter to catch those areas up to speed. Make sense?

Each case is very unique, and I'm just giving you the ABC's.

Konnekt1
03-02-2020, 08:05 PM
Yep all sounds good thanks this will help a lot!!