Meguirs Scratch X 2.0 Left More Scratches

jhorton

Reaction score
I had a couple minor scratches on my 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe that I wanted to try and remove. I was recommended meguirs scratch x 2.0.
I used it fairly lightly with a 100% lint free cotton cloth. Happily it removed the scratch but when I looked at it today with the sun reflecting off of it I now see a hazy area where I had wiped it and it appears to have left the spot looking much worse.

I am not sure what I did wrong or how I can even correct this now.
Does anyone have any experience to help me with this?

I have attached a picture.

You need to follow it up with a polish then some wax or sealant to add protection back. But thats normal as its an abrasive. I used same stuff when i debadged my envoy and followed it with some polish and all was gone. Looked exactly like that after scratch x

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Most likely caused by your cotton cloth. The Korean paints are very soft. My wife had a Tucson that I removed some imperfections from last week. I had to go with a black pad with no cut and Essence to get a haze free finish

I know you said you used the ScratchX fairly lightly, but I'd go over it again with a softer applicator and even lighter pressure (practically zero pressure).

If that doesn't do it then follow up with a finer polish. If you're using OTC products, like ScratchX, try SwirlX.

My experience with any hand polishing is that you always want to finish with very, very light pressure and quick strokes.

Yes the scratch X I basically wiped on then wiped it off. Almost no pressure, that is why I found this so strange to happen. I used some on my painted bumper and it did the same thing.
I am very hesitant to use it again.
If I try a polish is there one recommended? What type of cloth or applicator should I use when using these products?

Thanks

I know you said you used the ScratchX fairly lightly, but I'd go over it again with a softer applicator and even lighter pressure (practically zero pressure).

If that doesn't do it then follow up with a finer polish. If you're using OTC products, like ScratchX, try SwirlX.

My experience with any hand polishing is that you always want to finish with very, very light pressure and quick strokes.

Anytime you work by hand and start with fiber you must follow up with foam.

It takes more skill to work my hand than it does to work by machine.

:)

If I try a polish is there one recommended? What type of cloth or applicator should I use when using these products?

Thanks

If you want to stay with Meguiars, you could try M205 or Ultimate Polish.

Blackfire One Step would be a good choice, it will remove your haze/light defects AND leave a good surface protection. It's about as goof-proof as possible for a product.

If you plan on detailing, even if you don’t plan on major corrections up front, get yourself a DA. There may be no other detailing equipment that saves as much effort and pain, even for spot correction. Griots or Porter Cable. Just grab one, best detailing money ever spent.

Back