Carnauba left haze over Ford SurfaceCare

Schweppy

Reaction score
Carnauba left haze over Ford SurfaceCare

Mike

Just purchased new 2020 Lincoln Corsair in black. It came from the Lincoln Dealer with a Ford Motor Co product called SurfaceCare all ready applied to the paint. I washed carefully, lightly clay bared with lots of lubricant and applied a single light coat of Pinnacle Black Label Synergy carnauba paste wax. Next day had it out of the garage and in the sun for a few hours and all the flat surfaces ( hood roof ) are completely hazed over. Used Crystal mist to buff off but the next day it returned.

Please help with suggestions to correct

Thanks

Re: Carnauba Lou haze over Ford SurfaceCare

First, because this is your first post to our forum,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline! :welcome:

Second - I've never heard of this before so I went to Skynet and found this,

SurfaceCare

The SurfaceCARE Extended Service Plan is designed to maintain the beauty of your car inside and out.

Our factory-trained technicians cover your vehicle's paint by hand with a protective coating that utilizes Motorcraft-branded progressive technology.

The coating features silicone polymers that seal over the clear coat, shielding your Ford from hail, ice, snow, road salt, bird droppings, insects, and other environmental debris and pollutants.

While SurfaceCARE acts as a paint sealant on the outside, it's applied on the inside to the seats, carpet, and dashboard. The interior formula is an advanced water-based solution of UV inhibitors and fluoro-copolymers that protect carpet and fabric seats to allow for easy cleanup of drinks, food, and oil-based stains. Imagine never having to worry about staining from fast food takeout, spilled makeup, or pet accidents. All that and more is covered by Ford's innovative SurfaceCARE plan.

In the unlikely event that you ever have a spill or stain that can't be removed from an interior surface, our technicians will remove and replace the affected interior surface that's covered by the SurfaceCARE extended service plan.

The above reads like they have at least 2 products. One for the paint on the outside of the vehicle and one for the inside surfaces.

That's all I know.

I have know idea how the PBL Synergy wax could be chemically incompatible with a "paint sealant". In fact, historically, people apply carnauba waxes over paint sealants. It's called,

Topping

I have an article on the topic somewhere on this forum.

Maybe a careful car wash by hand will fix it?

Otherwise, check with Ford and see what they say? The website I included above has a Help Chat on the website. I started to use it but have to stop.

I'm getting ready to shoot our every Tuesday at 3:00pm LIVE Detailing Class, so have to leave it at this but I'll check back in tomorrow.

:)

Sounds like carnauba hazing or gassing perhaps? I think Collinite 845 has been prone to this. I see it happen to spray waxes when it’s really hot outside. Never seen anything like it with Synergy... but Synergy is supposed to be applied on bare surface, or PBL Coating or PBL Sealant (and I’m sure ceramic primers are fine too). Who knows how much Ford sealant came off during claying... but probably a good sign this is only on horizontal panels.

I would try the careful car wash idea and see what happens.

*Protects against hail* :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I work for a Ford dealer and have seen the "detail technicians" apply SurfaceCare. I have also seen it's "longevity". :doh:

If it were me, I would immediately clay and polish that crap off and start with a proven product. Not a dealership up-sell.

I work for a Ford dealer and have seen the "detail technicians" apply SurfaceCare. I have also seen it's "longevity". :doh:

If it were me, I would immediately clay and polish that crap off and start with a proven product. Not a dealership up-sell.

It was obvious that the dealer techs who applied the “SurfaceCare” knew nothing about surface prep before applying the product to my new car.

The baggie test proved that and the application of Lincoln’s / Fords paint coating product has made removing the rough contamination difficult.

I don’t know why the Pinnacle Black Label Synergy has not seemed to be compatible with the “SurfaceCare” paint protectant but I believe I will take your advice and clay and polish and start with a proven PBM product.

:)

If it were me, I would immediately clay and polish that crap off and start with a proven product. Not a dealership up-sell.[/QUOTE

It was obvious that the dealer techs who applied the “SurfaceCare” knew nothing about surface prep before applying the product to my new car. The baggie test proved that and the application of Lincoln’s / Fords paint coating product has made removing the rough contamination difficult. I don’t know why the Pinnacle Black Label Synergy has not seemed to be compatible with the “SurfaceCare” paint protectant but I believe I will take your advice and clay and polish and start with a proven PBM product.

I think you'll be happiest doing this.

I can't tell you how many horror stories I see on a daily basis from the dealer "details".

The problem is, 99% of customers are just fine with it. So........on it goes. :(

I don’t know why the Pinnacle Black Label Synergy has not seemed to be compatible with the “SurfaceCare” paint protectant but I believe I will take your advice and clay and polish and start with a proven PBM product.

...Synergy is supposed to be applied on bare surface, or PBL Coating or PBL Sealant (and I’m sure ceramic primers are fine too). Who knows how much Ford sealant came off during claying...

I don’t think Synergy appreciated being applied to a mystery coating that was applied on mystery contaminants.

A friend of mine is ordering a new Edge....none of the dealerships can get her what she wants without a bunch of stuff she doesn't want. How long did this SurfaceCare last? Is it applied at the dealership? Can she make sure they do not install it?

A friend of mine is ordering a new Edge....none of the dealerships can get her what she wants without a bunch of stuff she doesn't want. How long did this SurfaceCare last? Is it applied at the dealership? Can she make sure they do not install it?

The stock is WAY depleted after the COVID shutdowns. I am averaging 500-700 miles a week on dealer swaps. (Dealers picking each others inventory for the perfect one the customer wants).

As for the SurfaceScam, I noticed it severely compromised after only a few weeks on a '20 Escape that came back in for a nail in the tire.

Back