PDA

View Full Version : WGDGPS/Fuzion observation.

Pages : [1] 2 3

PaulMys
08-03-2020, 05:11 PM
Ok, for those who know me I am a pretty big Collinite fan.

My mainstay has been 476s for quite a few years.

This year, I went ahead and used WGDG topped with Fuzion. I posted some pics afterward of how the two made my metallic pop like mad.
I've been pretty happy with it all in all.

Today, I noticed a bird bomb on the truck as I left work. Grabbed my Speed Shine and wiped it off, but noticed the spot was still there.
The bomb was only there for less than an hour, as I had looked at the truck 30-40 minutes beforehand, and it was not there.

When I got home, I looked at it better and the bomb had eaten through the Fuzion/WGDG completely.
I had to use a little Griot's FCC, and reapply some Fuzion for tonight.

I know there are different kinds of bird bombs, but this didn't look out of the ordinary, and was only the size of a quarter.

I have found bird bombs on Collinite 476 that I had no clue how long they were on there, and the product was unaffected after removal.

Collinite 1, WG 0 in the bird bomb protection category IMO............

acuRAS82
08-03-2020, 05:36 PM
FWIW, I recall DGPS on the wife’s car showing signs of water spots a few times and bird poo etching a few times. Both times I used WW which helped a bit but could definitely still see etchings. Went inside with my head down, probably holding back tears.

Came out hours later or the next day to see the “etchings” totally gone. It’s as if they only etched DGPS and it took awhile but the WW must have penetrated in further, or just natural weathering or some sort of magic and then they were gone.

I’m not saying you’ll be this lucky but my fingers are crossed for you. DGPS is the only LSP I’ve experienced this with.

DMiglio
08-03-2020, 07:41 PM
Sorry for your clear coat Paul, unfortunate because they are both well reviewed and held in high regard. Guessing they’re some New Jersey birds if they’re droppings ate through them that quickly..

PaulMys
08-03-2020, 08:03 PM
Sorry for your clear coat Paul, unfortunate because they are both well reviewed and held in high regard. Guessing they’re some New Jersey birds if they’re droppings ate through them that quickly..

Thank God they are not from Jersey. If so, they paid too many tolls. ;)

The clear seems to be fine, just a little sketched about Chicago pizza (oh, I mean bird) bombs now with the WG duo.

DMiglio
08-03-2020, 08:12 PM
Thank God they are not from Jersey. If so, they paid too many tolls. ;)

The clear seems to be fine, just a little sketched about Chicago pizza (oh, I mean bird) bombs now with the WG duo.

Haha!

Never underestimate a birds will and willingness to ruin a mans freshly detailed pride and joy!

Have no fear, the Collonite trio has been proven to protect against dense melted cheese, tomato acids and high temp deep dish crust associated with Chicago Pizza.

PaulMys
08-03-2020, 08:15 PM
Haha!

deep dish crust associated with Chicago Pizza.

I see why you have muscular arms, Dave.

Digging your own grave over & over..............:laughing:

DUBL0WS6
08-03-2020, 08:30 PM
I recently had my car painted. I had it sitting outside and came home and found a bird bomb. I used some waterless wash to remove it. The car was sprayed with multiple coats of clear and that crap etched the clearcoat. There are some bird bombs that I don't think any product will completely protect from.

PaulMys
08-03-2020, 08:39 PM
......There are some bird bombs that I don't think any product will completely protect from.

Yes, I believe this to be true.

The godd@mn thing probably had an entire Chicago style pizza before it bombed me............. ;)

DMiglio
08-03-2020, 08:43 PM
Yes, I believe this to be true.

The godd@mn thing probably had an entire Chicago style pizza before it bombed me............. ;)

Hahahaha!!

57Rambler
08-03-2020, 09:16 PM
Have no fear, the Collonite trio has been proven to protect against dense melted cheese, tomato acids and high temp deep dish crust associated with Chicago Pizza.

It was probably the obligatory layer of sausage that contributed to it ...

Markymapo
08-03-2020, 09:35 PM
Someone needs to do a coating test against bird bombs ( maybe some prepackaged stuff). I have 5 cars with 4 different coatings and I must say the ceramic coatings ( Blackfire, Exo4) have held up better to bird bombs compared to PNS and WGDGS (Collinite faired pretty good)

WillSports3
08-04-2020, 05:59 AM
I've had bird paint (Here in mild mannered Canada) sit on Cquartz UK, Glosscoat, Kamikaze miyabi, GTechniq CSL for around a week in the sun, and had no issues. Just washed it off. PBL Synergy did pretty well against bird bombs too. I think it's a chemical reaction between the acid of the bird bomb and the polymers of most sealants. Carnauba on its own is already slightly acidic anyway. Most coatings are non-reactive to bird bombs.

Sorry Paul, but the SiO2 bandwagon has some merit :P

DMiglio
08-04-2020, 06:21 AM
This is quite an interesting topic. I wonder if it’s a YMMV situation as I’ve read countless differing stories about bird bombs, water spot etching, staining etc from all different forms and levels of protection. Just how would we test something like this and is it like many things, down to location and climate being a determine factor?

WillSports3
08-04-2020, 06:27 AM
Depends on the level of confidence you have in your LSP. Also how you play around with the chemistry of LSP. Best way is to just let a bird blast your car and leave it there for however long and see.

BadgerRivFan
08-04-2020, 06:48 AM
Last summer I had Angelwax Enigma on my Corvette as the LSP.

We went for a Sunday cruise with some other car friends and stopped at a little small town tavern for breakfast. When I returned to the car, there was a large bird doo doo on the front clip. I did not have any microfiber towels or wash liquids with me. It was a hot sunny summer day. “It should be okay for a few hours” I thought, as after all I had a decent form of fresh LSP on the car.

That evening when I got home I cleaned off the poop and went to bed.

The next morning I noticed the massive etching that the s@?t left on my front end. I was a bit miffed as I thought the ceramic protection would keep it protected... NOT.

No worries, I have polish and several DA’s so it should be a fairly easy fix. Well, long story short - I ended up having to compound the etching with Griots FCC and a Boss Microfiber Pad. I’m still not completely satisfied with the results, but I’m not going to chase perfection at the expense of my clear coat.

My only point is I guess the acidity in certain bird doo doo is really destructive no matter what type of protection you have on your car.

Oh, and maybe keep an emergency cleaning kit in your Corvette in case this happens again, instead of an assortment of can, bottle, and solo cup insulated koozies to be prepared for however your beer might be served to you. [emoji849]