PDA

View Full Version : WG Uber compound or what, and what pad combo for really hard paint?

Pages : [1] 2

Matador
09-06-2020, 03:49 PM
Hi guys,

Looking for a MF or maybe wool pad reccomendation or to match wtih WG Uber compound, for super duper hard, black Audi paint.

Orrrr...do you have another compound that's comparable to WG Uber (and maybe cheaper? :p).

Thanks in advance gentlemen!

The Guz
09-06-2020, 04:03 PM
I have not used that compound so I am not sure how well it cuts.

If you are looking for a microfiber pad I would look at the Meguiar's or Lake Country pads. If you are looking for a wool pad then the Rupes wool pad would be a good option. The yellow one for sure is nice and the blue wool will cut just as good as a microfiber pad.

I prefer Sonax Cut Max for a compound. M110 and 3D ACA would be right behind it.

TTQ B4U
09-06-2020, 04:16 PM
What polisher are you using?

Given the fact that I've owned several German cars and 50% of my details are German cars, I'll give you my take. CarPro Clear Cut on a wool pad for a forced Oscillation unit like the flex or microfiber for a standard DA. Follow it up with CarPro Essence on a Orange light cut Lake Country pad and you'll be golden.

Lots of options but I do this a lot and the above is a perfect combo. You'll see another Shown and Shine post tonight featuring a full correction on a 9yr old BMW 335D and honestly I didn't even need to compound it.

Matador
09-06-2020, 04:24 PM
I have not used that compound so I am not sure how well it cuts.

If you are looking for a microfiber pad I would look at the Meguiar's or Lake Country pads. If you are looking for a wool pad then the Rupes wool pad would be a good option. The yellow one for sure is nice and the blue wool will cut just as good as a microfiber pad.

I prefer Sonax Cut Max for a compound. M110 and 3D ACA would be right behind it.

Lake Country pads huh? Hmmm... Thanks for the advice on that and Sonax Max cut. May have to look into this.

What polisher are you using?

Given the fact that I've owned several German cars and 50% of my details are German cars, I'll give you my take. CarPro Clear Cut on a wool pad for a forced Oscillation unit like the flex or microfiber for a standard DA. Follow it up with CarPro Essence on a Orange light cut Lake Country pad and you'll be golden.

Lots of options but I do this a lot and the above is a perfect combo. You'll see another Shown and Shine post tonight featuring a full correction on a 9yr old BMW 335D and honestly I didn't even need to compound it.

I have the older BOSS 21, with 5.5 inch adapter. How does the CarPro clear cut finish? I've used FG400, and love all menz products...but it did not do enough for my liking with the super hard Audi Phantom Black paint!

Instead of wasting my time wtih trying to make that and my menz MF pads work, I thought it time to step my game up and get a tougher kick butt option compound.

Also, what MF pads would you reccomend? My Menz ones are getting old and figure it's time to try a new brand for the heck of it lol.

The Guz
09-06-2020, 04:37 PM
Clear cut is good. I just don't like the amount of dust it creates which is why I don't use it. I prefer compounds with almost zero dust which is why I like Cut Max. It has zero dust.

Matador
09-06-2020, 04:44 PM
How does cut max finish? That's why I love FG400, in some instances it would be sealant ready in 1 step.

Or is Cutmax always need to be be finished with a 2 step?

The Guz
09-06-2020, 05:35 PM
I know this is not the answer you want to hear but it depends on the paint harness. Softer paints will probably need a refinement after while harder paints it finishes pretty darn well.

Matador
09-06-2020, 06:53 PM
Thanks man. That says everything.

WillSports3
09-06-2020, 08:02 PM
If you're gonna compound, I learned over the years that Meguiars Cutting pads or the X-Cutting pads are great. As long as the compound is good quality, it doesn't necessarily matter if that makes sense. I agree with Guz, Sonax liquids are the most pleasant I've used so far. I always end up going back to it.

The Guz
09-07-2020, 12:08 AM
I received your PM. I will just post the links to the pads here. Just make sure you get the right pad size for your backing plate.

Meguiar's

Meguiars DMX5 DA Microfiber Xtra Cut Disc, 5 inches (https://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-dmx5-microfiber-xtra-cut.html)

Lake Country

5 1/4 Inch Microfiber Cutting Pad (2-Pack) (https://www.autogeek.net/414inulmipad.html)

The above LC is discontinued but this one is suitable equivalent. 5.5 inch Lake Country HDO Fiber Heavy Cutting Pad (https://www.autogeek.net/hdo-fiber-cutting-pad.html)

For wool I like the Rupes pads

Looks like the blue wool is out of stock. You may just want to stick to a microfiber cutting pad.

6 inch RUPES Coarse Wool Polishing Pad (https://www.autogeek.net/rupes-coarse-wool-6inch.html)

The yellow polishing wool pad is really nice. It has some good correction and is a versatile pad like their yellow foam pad. 6 inch RUPES Medium Yellow Wool Polishing Pad (https://www.autogeek.net/rupes-medium-wool-pad-6inch.html)

Matador
09-07-2020, 08:22 PM
Uh oh! I bought the DMC5's (which is what I've used in the past) vs. the DMX5s...

How big of a difference between both? Hasn't shipped yet, so I may have time to change it with Autogeek...

Is it a big deal?

The Guz
09-07-2020, 08:53 PM
Uh oh! I bought the DMC5's (which is what I've used in the past) vs. the DMX5s...

How big of a difference between both? Hasn't shipped yet, so I may have time to change it with Autogeek...

Is it a big deal?

My fault. You want the regular microfibers. No need for the xtra cut.

TTQ B4U
09-08-2020, 08:28 AM
How does the CarPro clear cut finish? I've used FG400, and love all menz products...but it did not do enough for my liking with the super hard Audi Phantom Black paint!

Also, what MF pads would you reccomend? My Menz ones are getting old and figure it's time to try a new brand for the heck of it lol.

ClearCut finishes out beautifully. Very slight haze if that. You will still want to polish it to perfect the finish though. Audi paint is tough but ClearCut is fine and works with ease on it. I use a forced oscillation Flex unit so I can apply a lot more pressure than you will be able to do. IMO it's why so many seem to have a harder time with German paints. I do a ton of them and have zero issues. Lots of the ease is from having a strong polisher thus being able to really press the product into the finish so it can do the work. Pad wise, I've used Griot's MF way back in the day but otherwise, I use wool as again, different polisher.

Here it is on black GM Caddy Paint with a wool pad.

https://pbase.com/timothylauro/image/168558203/original.jpg

https://pbase.com/timothylauro/image/168558201/original.jpg

More on a Pontiac G8, again, with a wool pad

https://pbase.com/timothylauro/image/167083399/original.jpg

^^ as you can see, it finishes beautifully. Just a few easy passes with a nice polish and you will have a mirror.

Clear cut is good. I just don't like the amount of dust it creates which is why I don't use it. I prefer compounds with almost zero dust which is why I like Cut Max. It has zero dust.

It does dust. Solution I've found is to add just a drop or two of HDOne compound to it. Once or twice per cycle of the pad and the dust is near none. Extends working time, eliminates dust. I've since changed over to just adding a few nice squirts of it to the bottles of ClearCut, shake well and done. This way I don't have to mess with putting any on the pads.

The Guz
09-08-2020, 02:26 PM
It does dust. Solution I've found is to add just a drop or two of HDOne compound to it. Once or twice per cycle of the pad and the dust is near none. Extends working time, eliminates dust. I've since changed over to just adding a few nice squirts of it to the bottles of ClearCut, shake well and done. This way I don't have to mess with putting any on the pads.

I am not discrediting the finish or cutting ability of it. But here is the thing, I don't have to be adding a drop of this to that to get a compound to not dust which is why I prefer Sonax Cut Max. Finishes just as good (paint dependent) and the best part no dust to clean up. Clear Cut sits on my cabinet shelf collecting dust.

PaulMys
09-08-2020, 06:23 PM
Clear Cut sits on my cabinet shelf collecting dust.

CC Double Dust. :laughing: