How do you polish SINGLE-STAGE paint?

m4gician

Reaction score
Quick question guys,

How do you polish single stage paint? Polish it like there's a CC on it? (e.g. same method you would if there was a clearcoat)?

What are some single-stage friendly polishes? I've got the Poorboys SSR line, Optimum, and menz sip and 106ff.

Clear coat is still paint without any pigments in it (except for tinted clears) so working on SS will be very similar. There is probably a good chance that SS paints have more oxidation on them and using a paint cleaner before compounding or polishing is generally a good idea, because the oxidation will clog your pads and will interfere with working the compound properly. That being said, you will probably need to change pads frequently and be sure to wash them pretty fast after the detail.

Clear coat is still paint without any pigments in it (except for tinted clears) so working on SS will be very similar. There is probably a good chance that SS paints have more oxidation on them and using a paint cleaner before compounding or polishing is generally a good idea, because the oxidation will clog your pads and will interfere with working the compound properly. That being said, you will probably need to change pads frequently and be sure to wash them pretty fast after the detail.

So are you saying that after I wash and CLAY the car, I should use Klasse AIO or xmt360 THEN start using polish?

Isn't that messy? (i.e. the klasse or xmt180 left on the car mixes with the polish) ?

I dont see where it is needed at all, what kind of polishes do you have.

I dont see where it is needed at all, what kind of polishes do you have.

Quick question guys,

How do you polish single stage paint? Polish it like there's a CC on it? (e.g. same method you would if there was a clearcoat)?

What are some single-stage friendly polishes? I've got the Poorboys SSR line, Optimum, and menz sip and 106ff.

K-AIO, XMT360 and optimum compound

If the surface is heavily oxidized its a good idea to use the paint cleaner first, as I said above. It won't be the end of the world if you don't but your polish and compounds will work better if you remove the oxidation ahead of time.

I would go with the sip, than follow up with 106ff on a finishing pad. If you have any other questions just pm me here or on db.

I would go with the sip, than follow up with 106ff on a finishing pad. If you have any other questions just pm me here or on db.

Ya i'll let you know on DB how this goes, it's the same mazda I'm talking about, but also a crown vic 2000 which I think is also single stage since I really can't spot swirling but more oxidation.

Back