Dark Spot on Hood

Coreykeyz

Reaction score
This is a 2020 accord sport. Only 4 months old. I’ve just noticed a darker spot on the hood, that I’ve never noticed before. I don’t believe this was there previously, but I guess I can’t be 100% sure. Is this clouding under the clear or does it look like something else? In daylight and most lighting, you can not even see it. Only really visible under parking lot led lights
View attachment 71753

View attachment 71754

View attachment 71755

Dark Spot On Hood

This is a 2020 accord sport. Only 4 months old. I’ve just noticed a darker spot on the hood, that I’ve never noticed before. I don’t believe this was there previously, but I guess I can’t be 100% sure. Is this clouding under the clear or does it look like something else? In daylight and most lighting, you can not even see it. Only really visible under parking lot led lights

View attachment 71756
View attachment 71757
View attachment 71758

Hard to tell from the pic but it almost looks like it could be a strike-through from polishing.

Does the area have the same gloss level as the surrounding finish or is it slightly duller? If it's at all duller then I'd say your seeing exposed base coat.

This car has only been polished once, by hand with meguiars 3 n 1. Which isn’t very abrasive. The gloss is the exact same. It doesn’t appear to be duller than the rest of the area

Also did the white rag wax trick to see if any base coat showed on the rag. Which it didn’t. I’m just so confused

This car has only been polished once, by hand with meguiars 3 n 1. Which isn’t very abrasive. The gloss is the exact same. It doesn’t appear to be duller than the rest of the area
Only been polished by you once, who knows what happened before you took ownership.When they spot areas at the factory they hit it a small buffer and some sort of product, my last Durango was loaded with spot sanding and a couple of spots didn’t get polished out and were hard to see The spot kinds shows up but it’ll help if you can get better pics

So what’s my options here. Do I take it to Honda. Am I go get laughed at lol

View attachment 71763
My wife bought a 2.0 Sport in May, she went back and forth between this one and the White Pearl. After I typed out my last post I do remember seeing some of the metallic colors had what looked like uneven patterns from the metallic, some spots looked heavier and cloudy. For some reason I don’t have many pics of this car but I know this was after a polish and CQuartz UK

That’s what I’m thinking, like there is no flake there.

I’ll try and take better pictures. Yeah it’s their modern steel metallic color. In the sun and most lighting it looks pretty normal. In extremely bright lighting you can really tell. I thought I had over polished it but I don’t own a DA and only used a pad and extremely non abrasive polish once. There doesn’t seem to be missing metallic in the area and the clear coat seems to be fine. It’s just darker than the rest of the hood.

When you polished with an AIO maybe you left excess product there and it’s a high spot now?

Did you use a MF towel and pressed on it with fingers? That makes it pretty easy to burn through the clear.

I used AIO with a pad and wiped off with MF towel. I didn’t add any extra pressure with my fingers. I don’t think I burned thru any clear as there’s no textual difference in the area to any of the rest of the hood. I tried the white wax and cloth trick and no paint on that towel either. So I really don’t think it’s base coat showing.

Try to inspect the underside of the hood for signs of a repaint. Lines that show a tape was there and painted next to it. Maybe overspray. It could be the car had damage and was repainted before sold to you and there’s some moisture trapped, it should eventually disappear.

If the AIO you used has SiO2 it could also just be a high spot. A light polishing by hand would remove it if that’s the case.

I used the meguiars 3 in 1 wax. Gonna research to see if has sio2. But from all the pics above, does it appear to be clear coat damage? In your best guess

I’m thinking clear coat damage is less likely, especially with your white towel test not showing any color.

Meguiar’s 3 in 1 only contains carnauba and synthetic waxes so it shouldn’t leave a dark spot like you’d see from excess silicon dioxide.

I'm thinking it is just an abnormality in the paint job. Not CC damage.

Factory paint jobs on 99% of all vehicles today are horrible IMO.

Back