Detailing on the side

94LT1

Reaction score
After spending 7 hours on my car yesterday with my pc a few neighbors came over and asked me if i would do there cars some times.Obviously i dont wanna use my LS.i also dont wanna spend 7 hours just on a exterior either because i no the adverage person wouldnt be able to see much of any difference between a 7 hour job to say maybe 4?So i guess my question is what kind of products should i look at to detail other peoples cars?
What i have in mind is:
1.meguiars gold class soap(i allready use)
2.What every clay bar i have at the time.
3.poor boys black hole or white Diamond(obviously depending on color)
4.and maybe a sealer of some sort or carnauba.
But like i said i have a porter cable 7424 with orange,white,gray and blue LC pads.So feel to chime in with your opinions.
Thanks in advance

I think you should ask your potential clients what they are looking to have done. If they are looking for paint correction using a faster or just better swirl remover is needed (Menzerna SIP is an amazing product). You seemed pretty happy with your polish so you can continue with that.
As for the glazes I'm not sure if they are that much different from each other to notice a different on what color they are applied too. Black paint won't know a glaze for light colored cars is being used. Both glazes are new so not much data has been collected on them.. 2 glazes that have been around for some time and have proven them selves is Clearkotes Vanilla Moose Glaze and their Red Machine Glaze (you can buy and mix them both up 50/50 and create what's been called "Pink Moose" [Scottwax gets credit for that combo/name]). AG doesn't carry them any more but you can find then at other reputable vender's.
As for #4 again ask your (potential) clients what they are looking for (beauty vs durability) or just buy something you like and tell them thats what you offer.

I think you should ask your potential clients what they are looking to have done. If they are looking for paint correction using a faster or just better swirl remover is needed (Menzerna SIP is an amazing product). You seemed pretty happy with your polish so you can continue with that.
As for the glazes I'm not sure if they are that much different from each other to notice a different on what color they are applied too. Black paint won't know a glaze for light colored cars is being used. Both glazes are new so not much data has been collected on them.. 2 glazes that have been around for some time and have proven them selves is Clearkotes Vanilla Moose Glaze and their Red Machine Glaze (you can buy and mix them both up 50/50 and create what's been called "Pink Moose" [Scottwax gets credit for that combo/name]). AG doesn't carry them any more but you can find then at other reputable vender's.
As for #4 again ask your (potential) clients what they are looking for (beauty vs durability) or just buy something you like and tell them thats what you offer.

well wat about IP and Final polish?and how much would b fair to charge for paint correction since it requires alot of work?
what brands/types of wax should i have for either applications?

The 2 I have used from the Menzerna line (because of countless positive posts) is SIP and 106FF. Both surpassed what I had expected, I have no experience with the ones you listed but have read positive reviews as well. As far as charging the Pro's should really answer that as I have no clue. 2 waxes that would look good on any color and both offer different characteristics would be PB Nattys Blue looks good on any color and last around 4/5 weeks or Collinite waxs for those who are looking for durability and still have a good looks.

iv had a few more people come up to me and ask me what i would charge for a detail.this is what i have in mind so far.
Exterior:
Wash(door jams and trunk jam)
Clay Bar
Klasse all in one
some sort of wax that has a decent lifespan.Suggestions?
Wheels and tires are clean with OTC products.
tire shine(OTC)
Interior:
wipe down of all the plastic.OTC interior spray if needed.
vacuum(trunk if requested)
windows inside and out
After asking around iv come up with a base price of $80 for a car and possibly 110 for a SUV, Truck, Van.

***I do not want to do any paint correction or stain remover for liability reasons because the plans for this is just to fund my personal detailing needs and the products used for other peoples vehicles.***
The problem is i dont wanna charge to much but at the same time i dont wanna sell myself short.
Im thinking 20 dollars an hour.and for the cars it will take me about 3 hours for everything and then the last 20 dollars is for the materials.
Then for SUVs, Vans, and trucks would b a extra hour and then add 10 dollars to the materials.so 80 in labor and 30 in materials.
Feed back please

Bryon ... I can email you my price sheet, and you can base it off of that :D

I'm assuming he is thinking what I am thinking... for wash, clay, kaio, and a wax, plus interior.... you're charging too little...

I'm assuming he is thinking what I am thinking... for wash, clay, kaio, and a wax, plus interior.... you're charging too little...
what would you charge for what i have listed?

One Million Dollars
images

One Million Dollars
images

lol. but seriously what would b a fair price?
also what kind of wax should i put on top of K AIO?i want it to last roughly 3-5 months.i was looking at Meg NXT 2.0?i dont want it 2 break the bank because the products are going to be used on friends/neighbors cars on the side.

Last edited:
BRYAN ... sent you an email :D
Lol thanks.i just got it.
So im gonna do
Main detail.
Exterior:
Wash(door jams and trunk jam)
clay bar
KAIO
Meg NXT 2.0?
clean wheels with OTC products
Tireshine with OTC products
Outside of Windows
Interior:
vacuum(trunk if requested)
Wipe down all the plastic
inside of windows
$100 for a car and 130 for Truck,Van & SUV?
Should i offer exterior only?and at what prices?

I charge 120 for full detail (wash, clay, paint correction, polish, sealant/wax). Takes about 6-7 hours like you said and it even out to around 20-15 bucks an hour. I do it pretty much to just pay for the product and put a little bit in my pocket. I also use SIP and 106ff. I've got IP and FP and its good stuff, but may take a little longer.

I charge 120 for full detail (wash, clay, paint correction, polish, sealant/wax). Takes about 6-7 hours like you said and it even out to around 20-15 bucks an hour. I do it pretty much to just pay for the product and put a little bit in my pocket. I also use SIP and 106ff. I've got IP and FP and its good stuff, but may take a little longer.
i have wolfgang 3.0 which is supposed to b simular.but i dont wanna do paint correction for liability reasons.i would do everything u mention plus a little interior cleaning but i dont want to do paint correction on other peoples cars.so is 100 a fair price?

figure out what your time per hour is worth. chemicals unless you are using very high end waxes aren't a big factor. it also depends what your market will pay and the quality of your work. if you don't want to offer full paint correction something like poliseal by pc/udm followed by ocw or optiseal is a good, quick combo. if you are just starting out maybe 20/per hour and increase it when you get too busy.

figure out what your time per hour is worth. chemicals unless you are using very high end waxes aren't a big factor. it also depends what your market will pay and the quality of your work. if you don't want to offer full paint correction something like poliseal by pc/udm followed by ocw or optiseal is a good, quick combo. if you are just starting out maybe 20/per hour and increase it when you get too busy.

i was going to apply the KAIO and NXT2.0 with my pc.but take off with a towel.i figure 25/hour and 25 for materials.who makes ocw and optiseal?

Back