Ceramic coating on my Race car (dragster)

tonyb2377

Reaction score
I am thinking of using a Ceramic coating on my dragster. I am looking mainly at Pinnacle Black label. This is a dragster that does not get "washed" except at times when I pull all the panels. I would like to use one of the ceramics this time to see how it holds up. I usually wax it during the winter and then the go to during the season is a CA duster and Lucas Detailer with spray can glass cleaner on the chrome rear suspension. I also want to do my wheels especially the rear wheels that are very expensive so protecting them from brake dust would be great. Would I still be able to use the Lucas detail spray or would I need to use a ceramic coating specific detailer spray. Which products should I go with?

Hi Tony and welcome to AutogeekOnline! :welcome:

First - It would be great to see a picture of your Dragster!

Second - there are a LOT of ceramic options on the market today. It will make your head spin trying to research them all.

One of the easiest coatings to use are what most of us refer to as lite coatings, that is simple, entry level, easy-to-use coatings. The easiest one I know of to use and that I also like and use is the Pinnacle Black Label Paint Coating and Pinnacle Black Label Surface Coating.

Here's my two mundane daily drivers after using the above mentioned products.

Examples....

Review: PBL Paint Coating & Surface Coating - 2017 IFINITI QX30 - Magnetic Red

2017_QX30_001.JPG

Coated under 15 minutes using PBL Surface Coating

4cf4218270bc763ac1f625e19b7db604.jpg

And here's an article I wrote on how to apply these two products.

Mike Phillips PBL Paint and Surface Coating Application Technique

The PBL Twins

Mikes_PBL_Technique_017.JPG

I actually just sent all of the above information to Dennis Gage as he's going to use these products and techniques to detail his own cars.

I'm sure others will chime in with their suggestions.

:)

A little of topic, what class do you run in? Top Dragster, Super Comp, both? PBL surface coating is very user friendly.

A little of topic, what class do you run in? Top Dragster, Super Comp, both? PBL surface coating is very user friendly.

I ran Top Dragster in Div 6 for a few years but got tired of 4-5 day events to win $1200. Top D has become so fast now and I have no desire to go low 6's. My car will go 6.80's at 195 but mainly been running 1/8 mile bracket racing. It runs 4.30's in the 1/8 mile.

Thanks for info. I’m not a racer but, have been a drag racing fan my whole life. Sportsman as much as the pros. Know what you mean about TD getting very quick last couple years. I’m in SE Pa. Go to the LODRS Div.1 race at Maple Grove every year. If you’re racing this year, good luck.

Mike this is what I have in my cart currently to do my dragster. Let me know if I am missing something or if there is a product that I don't need. I am thinking the surface coating will be good for the chrome 4 link ( rear suspension) parts and also my Wheels.

PBL Surface Pep
PBL surface polish
PBL surface coating
PBL Paint coating
Cobra green MF
Foam applicator
Ultra Poly clay

I have quite a few bottles of Lucas detailer spray. I get it for free so was planning in using that as clay lube and also for quick detailing. Will that be OK for the clay bar? How about for quick cleaning at the track? I usually go over the car in the morning with the Lucas and will hit the rear suspension with a canned spray glass cleaner. The chrome bars get nasty from the water in the burn out box and the spray glass cleaner seems to do well with that.

Mike this is what I have in my cart currently to do my dragster. Let me know if I am missing something or if there is a product that I don't need. I am thinking the surface coating will be good for the chrome 4 link ( rear suspension) parts and also my Wheels.

PBL Surface Pep
PBL surface polish
PBL surface coating
PBL Paint coating
Cobra green MF
Foam applicator
Ultra Poly clay

I have quite a few bottles of Lucas detailer spray. I get it for free so was planning in using that as clay lube and also for quick detailing. Will that be OK for the clay bar? How about for quick cleaning at the track? I usually go over the car in the morning with the Lucas and will hit the rear suspension with a canned spray glass cleaner. The chrome bars get nasty from the water in the burn out box and the spray glass cleaner seems to do well with that.

I’m not Mike P. but couldn’t help suggesting that you don’t need the PBL Prep Spray if you aren’t going to do an abrasive polish. PBL Surface Cleansing Lotion (which I think is the polish you are planning to get) will prep the surfaces for the coating.

If I got the polish assumption wrong and you are planning on getting PBL Polish (the one with fine abrasives) then ignore the above and include the PBL Prep.

I assume Lucas QD you are using is not the same as Lucas Slick Mist (I think that’s the name)? I wouldn’t use Slick Mist as a clay lube because it’s going to leave decent protection down prior to the polishing step to remove everything from the paint. But if it’s a Lucas QD and you get it for free, that should work.

I’m not Mike P. but couldn’t help suggesting that you don’t need the PBL Prep Spray if you aren’t going to do an abrasive polish. PBL Surface Cleansing Lotion (which I think is the polish you are planning to get) will prep the surfaces for the coating.

If I got the polish assumption wrong and you are planning on getting PBL Polish (the one with fine abrasives) then ignore the above and include the PBL Prep.

I assume Lucas QD you are using is not the same as Lucas Slick Mist (I think that’s the name)? I wouldn’t use Slick Mist as a clay lube because it’s going to leave decent protection down prior to the polishing step to remove everything from the paint. But if it’s a Lucas QD and you get it for free, that should work.

It is slick mist so I won't use it for clay bar lube. How about using it after the coating? You are correct on the polish, it is the surface cleansing polish.

It is slick mist so I won't use it for clay bar lube. How about using it after the coating? You are correct on the polish, it is the surface cleansing polish.
Using Slick Mist won’t hurt the coating but has potential to mask its’ positive benefits. With that said, I would get used to the coating for at least a few weeks, then try an application of Slick Mist and see if it changes the beading or self-cleaning in a negative way. If not and you like it, you can keep using it and continue to watch and decide if the spray wax is negatively impacting performance after regular use.

Many on here don’t top coatings with spray wax/sealants, but it’s your car and I’ve seen spray sealants that dont seem to impact the coating performance.

Using Slick Mist won’t hurt the coating but has potential to mask its’ positive benefits. With that said, I would get used to the coating for at least a few weeks, then try an application of Slick Mist and see if it changes the beading or self-cleaning in a negative way. If not and you like it, you can keep using it and continue to watch and decide if the spray wax is negatively impacting performance after regular use.

Many on here don’t top coatings with spray wax/sealants, but it’s your car and I’ve seen spray sealants that dont seem to impact the coating performance.

I will just go with the PBL Diamond Detailer. This stuff is not cheap so trying to save a couple bucks doesn't make sense.

I will just go with the PBL Diamond Detailer. This stuff is not cheap so trying to save a couple bucks doesn't make sense.

My advice: get WG SiO2 Rinseless Wash, it’s a concentrate. Use that for all your WW/QD needs, it’s a great value and it’s within the PBMG family. It leaves behind a little gloss but not as substantial as Slick Mist and more geared toward being used on a coating. You can use it all the time between your rare washes and use heavily and it’s not going to cost you much because one bottle makes numerous gallons.

Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Rinseless Wash

My advice: get WG SiO2 Rinseless Wash, it’s a concentrate. Use that for all your WW/QD needs, it’s a great value and it’s within the PBMG family. It leaves behind a little gloss but not as substantial as Slick Mist and more geared toward being used on a coating. You can use it all the time between your rare washes and use heavily and it’s not going to cost you much because one bottle makes numerous gallons.

Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Rinseless Wash

Yep, I use it all the time for a rinseless wash, panel spray prewash, and drying aid. The SiO2 leaves a nice bit of protection too as beading is consistent and constant even over and above Gyeon CanCoat (ceramic lite coating).

Rinseless wash is perfect for my application. One thing that is really not a concern is water beading. If it's raining the car goes in the trailer, we don't race in the rain. I do have to deal with other things that I think the ceramic coating will help with is the nasty water from the burnout box and the rubber on the underside of my wing. I usually wipe the underside of the wing down with a spray lube from Joe Gibbs that really doesn't leave a residue but keeps the rubber from caking on the wing. I am hoping the PBL products do the same.

I finally got my car back together and was able to clay bar, use PBL cleansing polish, a coat of surface coating then paint coating. It looks amazing! I'll get a couple pics on Wed when I have it out in the sun to load. We head to Vegas on Friday then to Texas for a month racing.

I finally got my car back together and was able to clay bar, use PBL cleansing polish, a coat of surface coating then paint coating.

It looks amazing!

I'll get a couple pics on Wed when I have it out in the sun to load. We head to Vegas on Friday then to Texas for a month racing.

Thanks for the update and glad to hear your dragster is looking good! If you like, I'm happy to help get some great pictures into this thread. Simply send me a few via email and I'll do the rest.

[email protected]

Also - sorry for my lack of communication and instruction, it's not a huge deal though. Normally you would,

Clay
PBL Cleansing Lotion
Paint Coating
Top with the Surface Coating

Nice products huh?

:cheers:

Back