Daytona Grey Chips & Touch Up

TylerWeslow

Reaction score
Just picked up a ‘17 Audi S5. Was so excited to get a Daytona grey car since it’s one of my favorite OEM colors. Was doing some work on it and one of my friends tossed his keys to my other friend, but completely missed and hit the top of my car.
He will be paying to get it fixed, as it left a dent and a few nicks in the paint.:wowwow:

My question is.. do you think I can get these marks close to being invisible? I’ve got some Daytona grey touch up coming, and am going to have the dent place touch it up for me.. but I’m curious what you guys think can be realistically achieved here without new paint.

Link to image of damage: Damage - Album on Imgur

a4seKr1.jpg

I think you can.

Remember, less is more.

Start by adding just a tiny amound and let it set-up, dry and harden. Touch-up paint will tend to shrink back a little as the drying process takes place. Let the touch-up paint shrink before applying a second application.

This will help prevent going from a chip to a blob.

Congrats on the car!

:cheers:

I'm not sure of your PDR guys capabilities, but what I've seen is even the good ones are either not that good at paint touch-ups, or they just see touch-ups as secondary and don't put their full effort into it.

I'd consider doing the paint work yourself, or by someone you trust, after the dents are taken care of. Like Mike said, you don't want a blob when your done so take care to keep the paint inside the chip. The touch-ups shouldn't be any larger than the current chips when completed.

If you have patience and time, here's how I'd attack those chips... https://www.autogeekonline.net/foru...ry-chip.html?highlight=discerning+chip+repair

I'm not sure of your PDR guys capabilities, but what I've seen is even the good ones are either not that good at paint touch-ups, or they just see touch-ups as secondary and don't put their full effort into it.

I'd consider doing the paint work yourself, or by someone you trust, after the dents are taken care of. Like Mike said, you don't want a blob when your done so take care to keep the paint inside the chip. The touch-ups shouldn't be any larger than the current chips when completed.

If you have patience and time, here's how I'd attack those chips... https://www.autogeekonline.net/foru...ry-chip.html?highlight=discerning+chip+repair

Yeah I'm not really sure what their abilities are when it comes to actual paint touch-up. From what I've seen, they're the best in our area for PDR, but I'm not sure on the paint side of things. I may tackle it myself, or have my detailer repair the chips when I bring the S5 down to them this spring to get it corrected+coated and leave the PDR guys to just handle the dings.

Both places I've talked to did ask for me to supply my own paint. Do you think I'd be ok with going with paint from a place like Automotivetouchup.com or Paintscratch.com? Audi only has paint pens, otherwise I'd go OEM. They don't make paint brushes, which they both said they prefer since they can use their own tools that way.

I think you can.

Remember, less is more.

Start by adding just a tiny amound and let it set-up, dry and harden. Touch-up paint will tend to shrink back a little as the drying process takes place. Let the touch-up paint shrink before applying a second application.

This will help prevent going from a chip to a blob.

Congrats on the car!

:cheers:

Hey Mike!

Thanks for the advise. It's relieving hearing everyone say this is probably possible to make near invisible. One question - do you think I'd be safe to go with touchup from sites like Automotivetouchup.com or Paintscratch.com? Unfortunately Audi only supplies paint pens. They don't make paint brushes, which is what I prefer, and is what my detailing shop (who I may go to to fix the chips anyways, since they'll be doing correction on my paint this spring anyways) prefers as well.

Don't get your hopes too high... Metallics are impossible to touch up to perfection.

When you define "near invisible", remember, that is very subjective and means different things to different people.

Don't get your hopes too high... Metallics are impossible to touch up to perfection.

When you define "near invisible", remember, that is very subjective and means different things to different people.
:iagree:Less noticeable would better describe the repair than "near invisible".

Back