PDA

View Full Version : Went to the body shop yesterday and picked up some panels

jem7sk
05-03-2021, 10:51 AM
I really like Brain of Apex Detail's YT channel and he is always suggesting going to the body shop and getting panels to practice on so I contacted an old HS friend of my wife's who's been in the business since the mid 80s. He had a metallic grey hood for me that was heavily oxidized. I made a comment about the oxidation and he pulled out one of his many rotary machines (that's all they use). He took out some 2500 paper and started wet sanding describing how you know when something is under the paper messing it up. Then polished it out really quick. It came out great. He also just used the polisher on another section and showed how it was hazy without the sandpaper or further polishing.

These old school guys get it done quick. When he brought out the rotary he had a wool pad on it that had dried compound. Then he flipped it over, turned it on and used a flat head screw driver to clean it. I asked him what pads he used and he said Amazon :D and explained that after the wool he bumps down to foam (Amazon) until he get the paint perfect. I think I'll keep coming around and see what all I can learn from him.

He told me about an old polisher they used to use that was very heavy and had two handles.. said he'd just use wax with that machine and with the weight of the machine, the polish jobs came out really nice. Anybody know what machine that was? I've never seen anything like he was describing.

Ended up coming out of there with that hood and a nice custom painted Shelby Mustang trunk lid (black with gold center strip). Now I can do some practicing with my rotary (and sandpaper).

glen e
05-03-2021, 01:31 PM
Are you just starting out to Detailing? What led you to immediately go to a Rotary, sandpaper, and compounding?

jem7sk
05-03-2021, 02:03 PM
Are you just starting out to Detailing? What led you to immediately go to a Rotary, sandpaper, and compounding?

No, I bought a Corvette back in 2004 and got to chatting with a guy on the Corvette forums who worked for AG back then. He talked me into getting the original PC which I've used on seven of the cars I've had since getting it. I'm not an expert by any means but looking for a quicker method to get results and the rotary is the cheapest route plus a couple of my favorite YTers recommend learning it so I thought I'd learn it before making the decision to upgrade. I bought the inexpensive Harbor Freight one that Brian at Apex uses and will be getting pads and backing plates for it. I like that I can put an extension on it and get small pads for small areas too. I'll be practicing on the panels I get from the body shop for now and using their equipment as well when I am there. They use Dewalt and Milwaukee rotary polishers.. both cord and cordless.