PDA

View Full Version : Griot's Foaming Surface Wash + Poly Gloss

Pages : [1] 2

CleanIT
08-17-2021, 06:05 AM
Is anyone using this combination? Prior reviews were favorable. I've watched Pan/Apex videos. Both seemed to speak highly of both products. Poly Gloss seems to lay down a nice layer of protection.

Prange
08-17-2021, 06:12 AM
I've been using that combo, (with the BOSS cannon) since they came out. Works great. Easily applied. No issues.

Just like anything else, if you have anything other than light dirt, or that oily road grime after a rain, you'll need to use a mitt on it.

I stopped using the Surface Prep, as it consistently streaked for me.

CleanIT
08-17-2021, 06:56 AM
Found some good reviews on Autopia.

Klasse Act
08-17-2021, 07:18 AM
I have both in my collection, along with surface prep and all 3 are AWESOME!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Klasse Act
08-17-2021, 07:57 AM
I keep coming back to Griot's. Something about their product line I really like.I've been a customer of theirs since 2005, first rate company with 1st rate products [emoji106][emoji106]

CleanIT
08-17-2021, 08:15 AM
I've been a customer of theirs since 2005, first rate company with 1st rate products [emoji106][emoji106]

Klasse, do you know if their Liquid Poly Wax is there most durable wax? It has to be between this and 3 in 1 I'd imagine.

Klasse Act
08-17-2021, 09:02 AM
Klasse, do you know if their Liquid Poly Wax is there most durable wax? It has to be between this and 3 in 1 I'd imagine.I have never used it, sorry[emoji56]

oneheadlite
08-17-2021, 09:19 AM
If you've got a solid base LSP, I feel like you could probably get away with weekly touchless washes with Surface Wash + Poly Gloss.

I tried this a couple weeks in a row (during my lunch break at work) and was perfectly comfortable doing touchless, though if it went beyond that then it seemed like it would have been better to go Surface Wash --> Rinseless Wash. I fell behind on keeping up as it was a little too stressful to try to get it all done during my break. FWIW, I drive 400+ miles a week; the car is garaged overnight but outside during the day.

I will say the Foaming Surface Wash really does help as a first step if you're doing a bucket wash. The wash bucket has noticeably less junk in it after a wash than it would normally.

I'll also say that I didn't do any scientific testing, but I used the Foaming Poly Gloss standalone (previous LSP was "Expired") just for fun, and I was pretty impressed how long it lasted. This was when it first came out, so I don't remember exactly how long it was, but long enough that I feel like it would be a great maintenance product. Stuff had no bad habits to speak of.

Regarding the Liquid Poly Gloss VS 3in1 - I would bet the 3in1 will have longer legs. I'm currently doing a rooftop comparo that has both on it. The Liquid Poly Gloss is a treat to use as it's soooooooo easy, but I feel like the 3in1 has the edge for more impressive behavior. Disclaimer: I don't think I've had the Poly Gloss on anything standalone to be able to speak for it long term.

Last one - The Foaming Surface Prep is probably my favorite maintenance wheel cleaner at the moment. (Did I mention I drive 400+ miles a week, and I've got 2 German cars in the stable?). My wash area is too sunny for me to feel comfortable using it as a prep wash on the paint; the couple times I've tried it's been a little stressful making sure it's not drying and I get it flushed off thoroughly.

Like Klasse, I'm a long time Griot's fan (I think 2005 as well). Due to the forum, I've tried a lot of other brands/flavors of the week, but I keep coming back to Griot's when I just want something that's going to work well and won't be super finicky.

Klasse Act
08-17-2021, 09:24 AM
It's well established that I like Griot's Garage and surface prep is awesome but can I throw a monkey wrench into thr mix...Gyeon Restart, product of thr year from them (well, maybe Gyeon Wax too[emoji848])

CleanIT
08-17-2021, 09:25 AM
oneheadlite, thank for the feedback. Good to know. Griot's has a quality line for sure.

The Foaming Surface Prep looks potent. Do you dilute it for wheels?

I could use the 3 in 1 as a base, then going forward use the Foaming Surface Wash and Poly Gloss as maintenance. I'm using HCD now and it's great, but I don't think it will hold up through a winter.

Poly Gloss is interesting because it covers the entire vehicle. Kind of like a better version of Wet Coat/Hydro.

I'm considering this system.

oneheadlite
08-17-2021, 10:26 AM
It's well established that I like Griot's Garage and surface prep is awesome but can I throw a monkey wrench into thr mix...Gyeon Restart, product of thr year from them (well, maybe Gyeon Wax too[emoji848])

I'll have to look into Restart. I'll cheat and ask before looking up what it is - What do you use it for?

oneheadlite, thank for the feedback. Good to know. Griot's has a quality line for sure.

The Foaming Surface Prep looks potent. Do you dilute it for wheels?

I could use the 3 in 1 as a base, then going forward use the Foaming Surface Wash and Poly Gloss as maintenance. I'm using HCD now and it's great, but I don't think it will hold up through a winter.

Poly Gloss is interesting because it covers the entire vehicle. Kind of like a better version of Wet Coat/Hydro.

I'm considering this system.

Definitely diluted. For now just at whatever they recommend for a spray bottle dilution (don't have it in front of me at the moment), but once I get a good LSP i'm happy with on my wheels I'd cut it down even further. Right now unfortunately both sets of wheels for both cars are due for a proper reset (full decon, polish, LSP), so I've been going a little stronger on the wheel cleaning than I would if they were up to snuff.

Can't think of a time I'd use Surface Prep straight.

I'll always add the disclaimer I'm not nearly as scientific as our treasured members on here (you know who are. :o ), but I ran the 3in1 through the winter on my car. The sides picked up contaminants and needed a solid Decontamination, but you could still see the 3in1 behavior on the flat panels in the spring. After all that, with how easy it is to apply, I just re-upped instead of trying to figure out if it was still going.

Poly Gloss is really nice. Maybe not as durable as some of the SIO2 reinforced stuff, but I'll happily trade that for ease of use.

Funny timing on this thread - both cars are due for a wash, and I was planning on breaking out the pressure washer and blowing the dust off the ol BOSS Cannon/Liquids.

CleanIT
08-17-2021, 10:28 AM
The 3 in 1 is extremely durable. Definitely the most durable OTC spray I can think of rivaling even the boutique brands. The peak hydrophobic beading isn't as impressive as some other products, but it lasts and sheets very well.

3 in 1 + Surface Wash would be a nice combination.

Liquid Poly Wax + Liquid Foaming Poly Gloss would also be a good combination.

From what Griot's has stated, they prefer 3 in 1 to be left alone and if you need to top it, use 3 in 1 or the CSS. I don't think the other chemistry plays as well with it.

MisterSnoop
08-17-2021, 10:33 AM
Definitely diluted. For now just at whatever they recommend for a spray bottle dilution (don't have it in front of me at the moment), but once I get a good LSP i'm happy with on my wheels I'd cut it down even further. Right now unfortunately both sets of wheels for both cars are due for a proper reset (full decon, polish, LSP), so I've been going a little stronger on the wheel cleaning than I would if they were up to snuff.

What were you thinking LSP wise? I'm probably going the coating route for mine (CarPro Dlux). Doesn't seem worth the effort otherwise.

Klasse Act
08-17-2021, 10:40 AM
Gyeon Restart is a special snow foam that breaks down grit on the paint and brings back hydrophobic properties. I'm sure it can be used in a bucket but you'd use qlot of product that way.

I'm VERY impressed with Gyeon Restart[emoji106][emoji106]

CleanIT
08-17-2021, 11:01 AM
Brian from Apex said most if not all these pre-wash foams really only remove a bit of grit, which I guess is all you need before doing a contact wash. I think many have higher expectations for these pre wash foams.

I'm curious if a good soap like Hyper Wash would clean as well as the Griot's Surface Foam.