PDA

View Full Version : What is your swirl mark tolerance level?

Pages : [1] 2

CleanIT
09-02-2021, 08:30 PM
I recently applied Opti-Seal using a foam applicator pad using a circular motion to dry paint. It was a bit grabby going on, but required no buffing. Simple. Looked great. I washed my car tonight and noticed some faint swirl marks on hood. The kind you need to see under good light at certain angles.

I have little experience polishing other than using P21s by hand, which worked pretty well in the past. In a situation like this, do you polish or let it go? I know at some point swirl marks seem almost inevitable.

Bruno Soares
09-02-2021, 08:36 PM
If you have more opti seal I would try polishing to fix the swirls and apply again, maybe using different technique if the swirls are coming from applying the sealant.

Klasse Act
09-02-2021, 08:37 PM
Just polish it by hand and it will leave you mind and you'll be better for it[emoji6]

Don't be afraid of the machineshttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210903/d81ae9e959ba7d86d127b8107dc33cd3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

CleanIT
09-02-2021, 08:38 PM
Thanks, I think I'll polish it by hand and reseal. I do have a polisher I could use if need be.

glen e
09-02-2021, 08:38 PM
Yeah used to bother me , I spent hours trying to get rid of it, now I’m over 65 and I don’t give a crap… If I can only see it in one angle of light, I don’t look at that angle anymore… Lol

CleanIT
09-02-2021, 08:41 PM
Yeah used to bother me , I spent hours trying to get rid of it, now I’m over 65 and I don’t give a crap… If I can only see it in one angle of light, I don’t look at that angle anymore… Lol

hahaha I hear you. I wish I didn't care....one day lol

CleanIT
09-02-2021, 08:42 PM
They recommend foam bc it absorbs less product than the typical micro fiber applicator pad, which I'm sure everyone on AG knows. I wasn't aware of that. I used the foam but may try a microfiber next time.

Klasse Act
09-02-2021, 09:25 PM
Wool/mf pad will change your life[emoji6]

CleanIT
09-02-2021, 09:31 PM
Wool/mf pad will change your life[emoji6]

I have the blue circle shaped microfiber applicator pad. Would that be preferable to the foam in this instance?

2black1s
09-02-2021, 10:32 PM
They recommend foam bc it absorbs less product than the typical micro fiber applicator pad, which I'm sure everyone on AG knows. I wasn't aware of that. I used the foam but may try a microfiber next time.

I dislike all applicators (foam, covered foam) and never use them. I've disliked them from years ago when foam applicators became the norm for wax application and were included with many wax products. My opinion on them hasn't changed in 30-40 years or however long ago its been since foam applicators were introduced.

My applicator(s) of choice has always been and still is a towel cut and folded to a size and thickness appropriate for the task at hand.

Klasse Act
09-02-2021, 10:55 PM
I have the blue circle shaped microfiber applicator pad. Would that be preferable to the foam in this instance?It's perfect [emoji106][emoji106]

Coatingsarecrack
09-03-2021, 03:44 AM
I recently applied Opti-Seal using a foam applicator pad using a circular motion to dry paint. It was a bit grabby going on, but required no buffing. Simple. Looked great. I washed my car tonight and noticed some faint swirl marks on hood. The kind you need to see under good light at certain angles.

I have little experience polishing other than using P21s by hand, which worked pretty well in the past. In a situation like this, do you polish or let it go? I know at some point swirl marks seem almost inevitable.

Have you trued hyper seal yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prange
09-03-2021, 05:50 AM
As time goes by, I'm less concerned with swirls than I am with conserving the overall paint thickness. I'm done "swirl-chasing", especially on daily drivers.

CleanIT
09-03-2021, 06:20 AM
Have you trued hyper seal yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not yet. Probably late fall/winter.

Azure
09-03-2021, 11:26 AM
I used to bust my hump trying to keep two of my rides looking just like I finished polishing them. Not anymore lol. I found out how many different ways your paint can be affected by the simplest of tasks that are out of your control that I've given up chasing "perfection". I'm thankful that I've never had an obsession with having perfect paint, so it only took a year of chasing to change my mind.