PDA

View Full Version : Seeking opinion on 08 Galaxy Gray Civic

Pages : [1] 2

myfxt
04-15-2008, 02:31 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to the detailing world. I have read a lot about different products like Wolfgang, Poorboys, Pinnacle...but can't decide which one to start with.

My goal is to use a product (or a series from the same product family) that can last longer (max. waxing interval). Also, I do not have a garage. Any suggestion?

My intention is to start waxing by hand but might move on to using PC in the near future.

Thanks!

Feed back please

makdaddy626
04-15-2008, 02:46 PM
If time between waxes is your #1 concern, you'll want to go with a sealant. I highly recommend Duragloss 601 + 105 for a nice look and lasting beading. Top it with DG AW after every other wash or so.

BygDaddy
04-15-2008, 03:21 PM
I am new too. Just waxed a new 08 Murano with Klasse All in One and followed it with Wolfgang deep sealant. Both can be applied by hand, and frankly, on this new car, there was not any difference in the way machined and 'by hand' paint looks. Did create a nice shine, ultra slick feel and should last 6-8 months per the instructions.

myfxt
04-15-2008, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the recommendation, guys! At least you cared to shed some light on me.. :)

But, BygDaddy, why did you choose Klasse All in One over Wolfgang Finishing Glaze? Can we mix & match them that way?

BTW, what would be a good engine cleaner? I read that the P21S is good stuff for that. Do I just spray and wipe off?

makdaddy626
04-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Klasse AIO is a chemical paint cleaner that leaves behind some acrylic protection... WG Finishing Glaze has mild abrasives. If you want a cleaner in the WG family get the WG Paintwork Polish Enhancer.

Wolfgang Pre-Wax Polish Enhancer is absolutely fabulous for producing that elusive, show-ready wet-shine look. This polish actually enhances and (http://www.autogeek.net/wg2000.html)

I've used both this and Klasse (under WG DGPS) and like Klasse better, but that's just my opinion. The wolfgang polish looks very nice but isn't the longest lasting sealant out there. The Klasse twins can last a long time together but application can be a PIA with the SG.

I apply all waxes and sealants by hand (just my preference) as the only benefit to machine application is speed and some say the products will go further (some say the don't go as far). Machines make a big difference in polishing, but not with waxes and sealants.

BygDaddy
04-15-2008, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the recommendation, guys! At least you cared to shed some light on me.. :)

But, BygDaddy, why did you choose Klasse All in One over Wolfgang Finishing Glaze? Can we mix & match them that way?

BTW, what would be a good engine cleaner? I read that the P21S is good stuff for that. Do I just spray and wipe off?
I chose Klass AIO because of comments here re protection and a good solid cleaner. I used the Wolfgang based upon the shine factor and expected durability.
All I can tell ya is it looks GREAT this way, it is very smooth, the metalflake paint really popped and frankly, I am completely happy. The only question now is: will it last?
Even my staff asked what happened to the car, and they don't normally notice!

myfxt
04-15-2008, 04:35 PM
Haha..it sounded funny when they don't noticed it is a "new" car until you prep and wax it..:D

BTW, when you said "The Klasse twins can last a long time together but application can be a PIA with the SG." Did it mean the Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze? I did not it is PIA to apply it...

Thanks for your feedback though...:cheers:

myfxt
04-15-2008, 04:39 PM
sorry guys, I just realized that I'm replying to two different posts.... I think the "Daddy" term mess up my mind....:p

makdaddy626
04-15-2008, 05:45 PM
Yes, the Klasse Sealant Glaze (SG) can be a PITA to remove. Many report good success with a wipe-on-wipe-off (WOWO) method but I wonder how much durability is sacrificed that way. Klasse SG is VERY shiney (some find fault with this as it's a very "sterile" shine), WG has a wetter look in my opinion but again, durability (while longer lasting than most waxes) is not close to the Klasse twins or Duragloss 601 + 105. For ease of use, and longevity, go with Duragloss. For a really wet looking sealant, go with WG (but be ready to reaply every couple of months), for a brilliant shine (not wet... just shine) and longevity go with the Klasse Twins.

BTW - DG is very inexpensive... if you do grab one of the other choices, I really recommend you pick up the DG offerings too. Try them out and once you get over the idea that more $$$ means better, you'll be glad you did.

distrbd
04-15-2008, 05:57 PM
The best shine I have had on my Civic Galaxy Gray was with Duragloss #601 and #105 (two coats) and after a day or so topped with Max Wax carnuba paste,by far the best it has ever looked.

My second best choice is WG combo(Polish &sealant) also topped with a carnuba wax(Souveran liquid wax).
Third : ClearKote red moose glaze with CK carnuba moose wax.(no sealant).

All these choices make GG paint come alive.

ScottB
04-15-2008, 06:25 PM
DP Shield Shine or Four Starr UPP/Polycharged should get your flakes a jumping and extend protection over a 'nuba.

myfxt
04-16-2008, 10:35 AM
killrwheels, did you mean "DP Spray Surface Shield Paint Sealant"? ..mmm..I'm interested in comparing the Duragloss Total Performance Polish (#105) with the Four Star UPP/Polycharged for longetivity. Looks like Duragloss still has an edge over its low price. Any comments?

myfxt
04-16-2008, 10:40 AM
BTW, could someone point me to the right engine cleaner? Will P21S work fine? I might get the P21S Total Auto Wash for cleaning the engine bay... Sounds like the P21S Wheel Cleaner also works fine

Im the MAN

makdaddy626
04-16-2008, 10:41 AM
The original 4 Star UPP was well liked for looks but the word was that durability was very lacking for a sealant (similar reviews on WG DGPS). The answer was to add polycharger which gave it more durability but at an additional cost. The new 4 Star UPP has been out long enough to test for durability. I'm sure it will be an improvement over the old version but who knows by how much.

makdaddy626
04-16-2008, 10:44 AM
BTW, could someone point me to the right engine cleaner? Will P21S work fine? I might get the P21S Total Auto Wash for cleaning the engine bay... Sounds like the P21S Wheel Cleaner also works fine

Im the MAN

I've never used the P21S TAW but have seen many good detailers using, the wheel cleaner is a great product, good cleaning and a reputation for safety, I use it on all the dirty wheels I encounter, well maintained wheels will usually wash clean with shampoo and water saving the P21S for once a month or so.

I've been using Amazing Roll Off for engine cleaning/degreasing and really like it, works great on tires and wheel wells too.