Finished my Meguiars D156, What should I replace it with?

joebruin77

Reaction score
I finally just finished my gallon bottle of Meguiars D156. I primarily use it as a drying aid and I do love the stuff. But I was thinking of trying something new. Which do you recommend:

1) Duragloss Aquawax
2) Griots Garage Best of Show Spray Wax
3) Technicians Choice Aqua Glow
4) Stick with the D156

Thank you,
Joebruin77

Turtle Wax H.S. Wet Wax?

I mean if you're primarily looking for a drying aid that leaves some protection...

Turtle Wax H.S. Wet Wax?

I mean if you're primarily looking for a drying aid that leaves some protection...

I appreciate the suggestion. I should have specified that I am looking for a spray wax to use as a drying aid that does not contain any ceramic.

OCW? Always heard good things about D156.

OCW? Always heard good things about D156.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried OCW once. Maybe I got a bad batch, but it did not feel slick under the towel. It felt like I was drying the car without a drying aid.

I think of the ones I listed, I am most interested in trying Duragloss Aquawax. Has anyone tried both Meguiars D156 and Duragloss Aquawax? How do the two compare and which do you like better?

Thank you,
Joebruin77

I have tried both. Aquawax is very nice, however, I prefer the look of the D156. DG Aquawax gives a bright, candy coated shine look to my old eyes. I find the D156 a more muted look.

One more thing to add...One issue I found with both DG Aquawax and Meg's D156 is after a rain, my cars were always covered in dirt/water dust spots. I know it isn't sold on AG, but I have found TW Ice Spray Wax is much better in that regard and does not leave as much dirt on my cars. This is the new improved version that came out about 1 year ago. It will still show dirt after a rain in the summertime, but much less so than the other two, especially on the back end of my cars.

I always loved Aquawax.

I've been using Optimum Car Wax, Opti-Seal, and Instant Detailer. I let my mood decide. It's usually Opti-Seal though. Especially in the winter (aside from the car I'm testing durability on. That one only gets the instant detailer).

The Guz turned me onto Glassparency Boost and I really like it for a drying aid. Incredibly slick. I recently tried P&S Dream Maker and Sonax Ultra Slick but Boost was much better than both as a drying aid for slickness. And I have used Aquawax in the past. It is a good product, especially for its age but Boost is on another level. Note that this is the first Glassparency product I’ve used.

The Guz turned me onto Glassparency Boost and I really like it for a drying aid. Incredibly slick. I recently tried P&S Dream Maker and Sonax Ultra Slick but Boost was much better than both as a drying aid for slickness. And I have used Aquawax in the past. It is a good product, especially for its age but Boost is on another level. Note that this is the first Glassparency product I’ve used.

Glad to hear you like it. It is a great product. Glassparency will be sold on AGO soon from what I have heard.

I tried the Griots product at there HQ and it was an amazing product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a quarter gallon of Griots Best of Show Spray wax left. I liked the product. Nothing to special but thought it left more of a shine than the Meguiars offering but haven’t tried the others.

These days my bottle of D156 gets filled with Beadmaker and I haven’t looked back. If you want something that leaves a slick finish look no further. Shines real nice too. Easy, streak free application in any weather condition.

af94c72c564ec6d6746a0e5836c71672.jpg

3f7aa2fc6a11763a09586122524024e3.jpg

These days my bottle of D156 gets filled with Beadmaker and I haven’t looked back. If you want something that leaves a slick finish look no further. Shines real nice too. Easy, streak free application in any weather condition.

I appreciate the suggestion. I have tried Beadmaker in the past. I did like the slickness, the gloss, and the value. But it doesn't seem terribly durable. I think the D156 lasts longer and provides slightly better protection. And, despite the name, I don't think Beadmaker's hydrophobics are the best. So it isn't for me, but I do get why so many people love using Beadmaker.

I appreciate the suggestion. I have tried Beadmaker in the past. I did like the slickness, the gloss, and the value. But it doesn't seem terribly durable. I think the D156 lasts longer and provides slightly better protection. And, despite the name, I don't think Beadmaker's hydrophobics are the best. So it isn't for me, but I do get why so many people love using Beadmaker.

Can’t argue with that.

Another great option is Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer. It will have tremendous hydrophobics, easily outlast both AW and D156. Only down side is it is not slick to the touch.

Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Detailer or Bead Booster.

I like 3D Bead it up. Works great as a drying aid and really last much longer that beadmaker. Priced well also.

156 has always been pretty solid but it’s time has passed I feel.

Back