Headlight lens polishing / buff

luckydawg

Reaction score
Has anyone on here used that Mothers Mag & Aluminum polish to clean up & clear up headlight lenses?

If so how did it turn out?-- Saw a video a few years back where some folks were using it to clear them up & it looked like it worked. The gal that delivers my mail has a vehicle that has headlight lenses that are very cloudy & I didnt want to give her any bad / wrong advice on how to get them looking better. The video showed it only took a few minuted per and it was done by hand-- something she could easily do herself if it was legit.

Has anyone on here used that Mothers Mag & Aluminum polish to clean up & clear up headlight lenses?

Yes, I use it all the time. It’s the 1st thing I reach for when it comes to headlights. Pair it with my 3” polisher and a yellow Lake Country foam cutting pad and quick results.

I just did these headlights on the Toyota pickup truck that way.

Before:

952aaa149c00d19770eae09fe879645c.jpg

After:
21afb55f7cfa30c69ed39fa80f7a2c3b.jpg

fbf06f423a0703081a5016dc13e3982d.jpg

Those pictures don’t do it justice. There was a very satisfying difference in literally less than 2min. time.

9c57b016fc753fb9f2f2da73942ccbff.jpg

Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish works great if not the best of anything on gauge cluster plastic and even the plastic on stereo head units that previous owners always seem to scratch up dull. I restored all the clear plastic on my own Cadillac to looking brand new using Mothers Mag & Aluminum.

Works great on chrome and plastic chrome too. I’ll never understand why the label says not to use it on chrome.

Have you tried doing it with the slightly less agressive ( next step down ) orange pad ?

And do you put anything on them after to " protect" them ? If so what do you use.
Thanks for the good photos!!!!

I used it on all the chrome trim around side windows 2010 (08-12) accord, by hand, w/cut piece of MF, and buffed out almost all fine to medium scratches.
Probably 1/2 way cheap plating over metal. Worked great.

Have you tried doing it with the slightly less agressive ( next step down ) orange pad ?

And do you put anything on them after to " protect" them ? If so what do you use.
Thanks for the good photos!!!!

Yes, I’ve tried it with Lake Country Orange flat foam pads and also the whites. Adjust to your need and it still works great.

As far as those particular lights, I simply applied a coat of sealant. Reason being is 1. Those headlights were sort of an overdelivering for the customer and not something specific he wanted me to focus on. 2. I don’t really like to apply long term protection to customers headlights in the form that I have on hand [spray on clearcoat] because once it reaches the end of its protection life it begins to look like crap and is nearly impossible to remove and start over.

On my own personal headlights I apply Meguiars Headlight Coating, but make sure to re apply @6months/before it begins to fail and nearly impossible to fix. At least that’s been the case IME.

cb5c7fd9186b71bb0c95f36b29e9671a.jpg

Back