Ever polished just one section of car?

CleanIT

Reaction score
Ever polish just one section of car?

When I took delivery of my car in mid/late November, the paint was in relatively good shape all things considered. However, the hood had some deeper scratches that are noticeable. I was considering polishing the just the hood soon and letting the rest of the car be for the time being. I'd rather not polish the car this soon being it is so new. I can't see anything wrong with doing this other than only one part of the car will have a nicer finish than the rest.

I have done a few spot polishes in the past for various reasons, and it has resulted in those areas looking better than the area around it.

In your case, it wouldn't hurt the vehicle if you correct the issues and then give the entire car a "once over" with a light polish and a soft pad. You will most likely see a noticeable improvement in the gloss.

Yup, mostly the front end….. after a “debug”….

Hey nothing wrong with spot polishing! I offer it as a stand alone service where I polish just one panel for 50 bucks. It's actually made me a good amount of money! if the rest of the paint is in bad condition you could try the 3D 505 AAT Correction Glaze to blend the rest of the panels if they are willing to pay or if you desire on your personal vehicle.. If the rest of the paint is not that bad you could use the 3D Speed or BF One Step to blend. Customers are usually just really happy that I could correct the one spot they are really concerned with, and generally they dont seem to mind the condition of the rest of the vehicle.

You can also use your choice of 3D ONE and desired pad to polish and blend before applying some type of coating.

I don't know if it's good or bad but I've had a few minor things show up on my fairly new paint (2020) and can get away with some hand polishing using a compound. The imperfections are those you can see only in the right lighting but pulling out the polisher didn't feel necessary. I found something like the Polishing Pal to be pretty helpful to at least make the light imperfections disappear. I cover it back up with some protection and call it a day.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

I will polish any section that looks bad. Usually it's the hood or the trunk. But not very often.

I polished the tailgate of a Contractors work truck at my house last fall. Pretty hunters green paint. It had some spots that look like they removed badging with a brillo pad. With some Menz 400 and 3500, Collonite 476 and about 20 minutes miracle completed. Too bad I didn't get any follow on work.

I re-polished my trunk lid when I realized I was using way too low of a speed on my PC the first time *facepalm*

Yes i have polished hoods only. especially on black vehicles. I normally detail daily drivers so many have scratches. I find if you do not hit the fenders you do not notice the difference. good luck

Re: Ever polish just one section of car?

I've wondered the same thing.

The first time I did a full paint correction on my 90 mustang coupe it took 8-9 hours.

Is it perfectly fine doing this over a couple of days? It's a lot to do in one day. And my other car is going to take me longer.

Sorry not trying to hijack thread.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

if the rest of the paint is in bad condition you could try the 3D 505 AAT Correction Glaze to blend the rest of the panels if they are willing to pay or if you desire on your personal vehicle.

Just tested out 505 aat on a few panels of a hammered vehicle after a few pieces were repainted. Really love this product, i was very happy with the blend job it did. I will be buying a big bottle soon

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I am 66, trust me, NOTHING gets corrected in just one day anymore

I just make sure when I move on to a new panel or section that it is clean, dry, properly prepped, etc

Since I will occasionally drive a vehicle between sections or panels I leave all the decon work until the day I do THAT panel

It takes a while but I am retired so life is good
Awesome .

I kinda want to do my next car in 2-3 day stages. Basically have it stripped down ready for buffing.

Next day buff the entire car. Last day finish it off with a final polish, then wax.

Unless I should complete a section at a time?

That is totally a personal call, if you can get one step complete for the entire car in a single day then that's great, just make sure the car is still spotless and dust free the next day

Don't assume since you left it clean and ready to go it still is

Even garaged, a car will have dust settled on it

Here is where your panel wipe can come in handy, a quick once over for each panel as you move around the car

Bottom line, find your own flow and process and have fun
Thanks!

So what products are used for panel wipe? Just a detail spray? Or something like CarPro eraser?

I'm fairly new to buffing, polishing, ect. I've only done one car completely. I plan on doing a lot more paint corrections and such. I now have a good shop to do it in, and many cars that need attention.

Yes i have polished hoods only. especially on black vehicles. I normally detail daily drivers so many have scratches. I find if you do not hit the fenders you do not notice the difference. good luck

I think how much you can get away with depends on the design of the car. On my last black car, a BMW 4-series, if you polished the hood or the trunk deck it was obvious there was something different between those panels and the quarter panels next to them. Maybe it is because the car sat so low there is nothing to hide and your eye will easily see both areas in one glance when viewed from the side.

Is it perfectly fine doing this over a couple of days? It's a lot to do in one day. And my other car is going to take me longer.

Absolutely. I rarely do it all in one day. I try to spread it out across at least 1.5 days.

Typically I start in the evening with the wash and claying and maybe start the polishing that night depending on time and weather. The next day I'll finish the polishing and apply the LSP.

Another schedule I've done, which I found more enjoyable and resulted in the best work is this: I'll start early in the morning with the washing/claying and then move on to the polishing and I'll go as long as I need to that first day, but I'll take breaks and just take my time. It's a full day's work, but less stressful/tiring because I don't push against a hard deadline. The second day is dedicated to applying the LSP. Normally a coating, so it takes a while since I'm a little slower at coating applications than most people.

I recently went over the whole hood. Now I need to eventually do the rest of the car.

I attempted to fix some paint flaws on the hood.
8389565c9ee9aa54ed44eb14990ed850.jpg

When I took delivery of my car in mid/late November, the paint was in relatively good shape all things considered. However, the hood had some deeper scratches that are noticeable. I was considering polishing the just the hood soon and letting the rest of the car be for the time being. I'd rather not polish the car this soon being it is so new. I can't see anything wrong with doing this other than only one part of the car will have a nicer finish than the rest.

All the time. I take a few weeks to polish my cars in sections lol Since i've gotten better though i do seem to accomplish more per session. I have the luxury of a lot of time on my hands when i'm not working. I work 5-6 mths a year but on a ship for 28 days straight and then 28 days off.

I also have polished just my bonnet and touched nothing else for weeks. Gyeon primer on the lake country orange pad topped with polish angel high gloss the next day it looked fantastic. Even my very hard to impress father said it looked nice. I think you can use primer products a lot before you have to worry about any clearcoat issues and frankly its my car anyhow. The bonnet has rocks chips so if i burn through i wouldn't be super upset. Its the best car i even own. Nothing special but a very practical car. A show car now i would be WAY more cautious.

Tonight I might start working on the 90 convertible mustang paint. My plan of attack is to try out the Wolfgang rinseless wash, then clay bar.

That might be as far as I get until the weekend. I plan on using CarPro eraser prior to using a polish compound.

Back