How To Remove Old Adhesive

PearlWhiteGT

Reaction score
What’s the easiest way to remove this old adhesive? It’s on my 2001 Silverado.

RCDl3g4.jpg

5uCDYLH.jpg

Thanks, this stuff is hard to the touch. Might try using a heat gun and a plastic scraper first.

Thanks, this stuff is hard to the touch. Might try using a heat gun and a plastic scraper first.

I took a heat gun and a plastic scraper trying to remove an industrial warning sticker off a work truck once and it didn’t end pretty.

Fortunately the paint wasn’t a top priority, but some of it did get damaged.

There’s also goo gone or goof off made safe for automotive paint. Not sure which one it is but don’t get the wrong one. It’ll say on the label.

Thanks, I just can’t see adhesive remover getting this stuff off. I’ll give some a try though and see what happens.

one thing for sure....even if it comes off, you are still going to see where it was.
I think that has damaged the clear coat having been of the paint for a loooooong time...

3M Adhesive Remover has been my go-to for 40 years.

Agreed 100%

And you guys would be surprised at what it can do that other products won't even touch.

Oh, and it is clear coat SAFE.

Looks like not only adhesive but part of the actual LT label itself. Look how thick it is on passenger side. I dont see how that is all adhesive. Especailly since you can still see remneants of the LT letters

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Looking at the residue you’ve got on that cab I think it would take quite a while with chemicals and elbow grease. The 3m eraser wheel would get it off but you’ll need to polish afterwards and be careful not to induce too much heat…

I’d go for a microfiber or wool pad on a DA and a fine polish (mostly to cool the pad a little). It will remove the adhesive and should leave you with a good finish without any risk of damaging the paint below.

Good luck! (And show some after pictures)

Looks like not only adhesive but part of the actual LT label itself. Look how thick it is on passenger side. I dont see how that is all adhesive. Especailly since you can still see remneants of the LT letters

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

This is correct, I took a better look at it. I do have a 3m eraser wheel that I can give a try. The paint is not in great condition on the truck so not that concerned about it. Just want to clean it up some.

Back