Acetone on dash?

Bdubbs

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have some type of substance on my new to me Shelby GT 350 dash. I can't tell if it's some type of glue or what. I don't think it's the dash itself.

Is acetone safe on the dash? I tried wiping it down first with water obviously no luck.

It's not all the spots in the picture, just that one longer spot in the center.

Thanks
4a1c889b51be072629a4092a116b2f1c.jpg

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Try a test spot but my guess is no , it is absolutely not safe… Acetone discolors and eats plastic.

Try a test spot but my guess is no , it is absolutely not safe… Acetone discolors and eats plastic.
I thought that as well. A Google search had mixed views. I wonder if I could use goo gone?

I would try 50/50 alcohol or Googone…NOT goof off….

Maybe a good adhesive remover? I'm nervous about putting anything on it because I don't want to make it worse. But it also drives me nuts having it there.

Maybe a good adhesive remover? I'm nervous about putting anything on it because I don't want to make it worse. But it also drives me nuts having it there.

Sounds like you may need a dash cover.:D

DO NOT use Acetone. It will discolor it pretty quickly. Ironically, it's 1/3 the mix of my pre-coating wipe-down mixes and something I can't do in my garage as Acetone is one of the main nemesis products for a Polyaspartic floor. I'm sure diluted it won't hurt, but with the volume of coatings I do, over time, it would like impact things so I roll them into the driveway to wipedown.

Maybe I'll try a little WD-40 or goo gone.

Thanks

My vote would be steam. Would be a good tool to have around and a lot cheaper than a new dash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just have one from harbor Freight that works fine for my needs.

The are pretty handy for interiors and even some household stuff

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

What other products have you tried so far. You mention water, but nothing else. I'd think going to something like acetone would be the "nuclear option".

Before even going to steam, I'd first try a automotive interior safe APC (not Simple Green or Purple Power - like products), and then a little dab of Goo Gone on the edge of a towel before pulling out the big guns like a steam cleaner. Especially if you don't own one already.

It’s a new $60k car, take it back to the dealer and give them a chance to clean up their act! Or send them a bill for the Nextzett…

Got any Woolite?
I've heard that's gentle on most materials.
That with a bit of water and a small (tooth) brush?

Got any Woolite?
I've heard that's gentle on most materials.
That with a bit of water and a small (tooth) brush?
No I don't. I'll try the cleaner first, and if that doesn't work I'll try some Woolite. Thanks for the help!

Back